ladino clover.

Help Support CattleToday:

gitnby

Reaction score
looking to broadcast some clover into hay fields next month.....what varieties have worked the best for you folks? i'm in middle tn.and the ones that are most avaiable are Will ,Companion and Advantage ..hoping to find some that can stand heavy grazing and grow tall enough to make some hay...have looked online havent found very much about these........thanks

How would that equate to hay? I understand that it can tolerate heavy grazing, but will it grow tall enough for hay?
No. If you want more height then you need to go with Patriot but I don't think that it would increase hay yields as much as it improves grazing and adds N.

Height is something you'll be hard pressed to get with white clover. Patriot might be different, I'm not familiar with it. I'd suggest a combination of red and white clover though.

White is good for heavy grazing, red is good for haying. Though, under the right grazing management red clover can yield amazingly during the summer with little precipitation. My fields are getting more and more red clover throughout. Very little white, it's been smothered out I assume.

Last edited:
Alice and Kopu II worked well in our MIG system, here just north of the KY/TN line. We didn't cut hay, but both were aggressive, fairly tall, with very large leaf area.
Will is about the only Ladino I can find locally, and have seeded it some in the past. It's supposed to have good disease resistance and productivity.
Back around 1998, we planted some 'Seminole', and it did great on some fairly poor soil in about 15 acres of ground reclaimed from 40-yr old pines clearcut after an ice storm... have never been able to find seed again.

Red clover lasts for about 2 years here, then is all but gone, other than a random plant here and there.

Yes. It will make hay. Reseeding is iffy.
Is it a good one to frost seed like other clovers?
Alice and Kopu II worked well in our MIG system, here just north of the KY/TN line. We didn't cut hay, but both were aggressive, fairly tall, with very large leaf area.
Will is about the only Ladino I can find locally, and have seeded it some in the past. It's supposed to have good disease resistance and productivity.
Back around 1998, we planted some 'Seminole', and it did great on some fairly poor soil in about 15 acres of ground reclaimed from 40-yr old pines clearcut after an ice storm... have never been able to find seed again.

Red clover lasts for about 2 years here, then is all but gone, other than a random plant here and there.
If we can let the red go to seed it will persist wonderfully I'm finding. I hear there are health problems when the red component is too high. Know anything about that?

The white makes seed year round I think. But the red has to reach a certain maturity. That's probably why it doesn't persist on many farms. I could be wrong though.

Latest posts