Clover in the tropics.

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
Just to update everyone, family cattle farm is in northern Guatemala and it's all monoculture throughout this month since it's our rainy season I spread some arrowleaf, strawberry and crimson clover and it looks like it's germinated, it took about 5-9 days.

I didn't add anything to the soil, I basically spread it over some of our bare spots.
Keeping fingers crossed that it will seed and continue to grow. IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_1001.jpegIMG_1003.jpeg

Have you looked into any other more suitable tropical legumes? In Australia there is a whole range of legumes used in our tropical northern areas particularly along our eastern coast with the higher rainfall, Wynn Cassia, various Stylos, Burgendy bean, forage peanuts to name a few.

Ken

Have you looked into any other more suitable tropical legumes? In Australia there is a whole range of legumes used in our tropical northern areas particularly along our eastern coast with the higher rainfall, Wynn Cassia, various Stylos, Burgendy bean, forage peanuts to name a few.

Ken
I did I wasn't pleased with what I was told. My choices were limited and if not grazed at the right time the legumes of choice becomes less palatable and undesirable. The legumes down here are mostly used for sugar cane and African palm trees applications, not grazing from what I was told.

In the context of South America I would contact Jaime Elizondo for advice on pasture regeneration and grazing systems https://www.rwranching.com/
When the time is right I will. I'm giving up on high density grazing for now because the cattle won't respect the wire and post we placed everyday. I have to make permanent paddocks, my cows figured out that by jumping over they won't feel a thing 🤣

If you have trouble with the ones you've planted, I might would get a few pounds of every clover variety I could get my hands on. Throw all out and see what reproduces. The ones that make seed should start to acclimate themselves to your environment somewhat. Might take a couple generations.

I have a white bloomed clover that grows very similarly to red clover, but with more dense green growth. It grows in one spot on this farm. Never seen it before. It intrigues me.

If you have trouble with the ones you've planted, I might would get a few pounds of every clover variety I could get my hands on. Throw all out and see what reproduces. The ones that make seed should start to acclimate themselves to your environment somewhat. Might take a couple generations.

I have a white bloomed clover that grows very similarly to red clover, but with more dense green growth. It grows in one spot on this farm. Never seen it before. It intrigues me.
That's the plan! Technically it doesn't stop raining until January and then our summer starts. However this year has been dry and I'm hoping it can go to seed and hopefully acclimate itself.

I was impressed with the first photo that you posted. Judging by the picture, I would guess that the soil is fairly healthy and has a high organic content. I'm guessing that from what appears to be two separate earthworm castings visible very close together, which tells me there are probably a lot of earthworms and is an indication of a healthy soil.

Chapin, google Leucaena . It grows as a bush but has been used very successfully in tropical areas of Australia. People fatten steers on it. A little bit of work establishing it and cutting back occaisionally and cattle need to be drenched with an inoculant to make best use of it but it has been a very successfull grazing plant.
My feeling is you will be very disappointed with clovers in your environment.

Ken

Latest posts