Questions about clover

Help Support CattleToday:

How about moringa? It is in the trebol/clover family. Have a friend in Guatemala that uses it for animal feed and human medicine and many other things.

Personally, I would get a variety of legume seed and mix them together. See what does perform well.

Korean lespedeza likes heat. My cattle do well on it.

Lucerne is used in Australia extensively I think. Maybe it's heat tolerance would work well for you down there.

I'd love to visit Guatemala someday. It sure seems beautiful.
Moringa is a good idea but it's a tree. I already have a live fence tree that's called gliricidia sepium or mother of cocoa. Once the leaves dry up they produce litter which is great. We used to trim the trees when we used to be in drought conditions and we had no grass due to poor grazing management but only added to our labor. Alfalfa or Lucerne I always though needed to be irrigated and was used in cold climates.

@Chapin81 good to hear from ya again!

I know nothing of clover but wanted to say hi.
Did u get your worm issues resolved?
Hi Murraysmutts thanks for asking! We actually just worked the weaned calves with an albendazole a week ago along with complex B, multimin 90 and Vigantol which is AD&E Our weaned calves look much better because we caught it earlier.

this a vid of the weaned calves.

Our cow calf lot is recovering they were in worst condition and we haven't had a death since we started treating them there are some that are still recovering. They are due for deworming at the end of this coming week.
Here is is a vid of them changing pastures. About a month ago.

@Chapin81 , you might contact seed companies and ask them if there is a clover, or other legume they may have, that is developed for your climate. The Univ of Georgia has developed a warm weather alfalfa designed for grazing, and used in Word Feeder Bermuda pasture. World Feeder is a bermuda more suitable for grazing than hay, as this strain of alfalfa is. Alfalfa is a legume. They have been providing these seeds and sprigs to south Ga farmers for a couple of years as test plots. I remember when World Feeder was 1st introduced about 25 years ago. One of its attributes touted was its deep root system..up to 4' deep. They recommended sprigging it actually, in dry , draught like conditions, to make the roots reach for water.

Moringa is a good idea but it's a tree. I already have a live fence tree that's called gliricidia sepium or mother of cocoa. Once the leaves dry up they produce litter which is great. We used to trim the trees when we used to be in drought conditions and we had no grass due to poor grazing management but only added to our labor. Alfalfa or Lucerne I always though needed to be irrigated and was used in cold climates.
Didn't realize moringa was a tree. 😂

I have some alfalfa sown into grass that I graze. Not irrigated. It seems to thrive. Grows when nothing else seems to in warm weather. This will be its 4th year. Giving it rest periods is crucial I believe. It starts regrowth amazingly fast.

arrowleaf clover might make it your cool season. Sunn hemp would probably do well there.

@Chapin81 , you might contact seed companies and ask them if there is a clover, or other legume they may have, that is developed for your climate. The Univ of Georgia has developed a warm weather alfalfa designed for grazing, and used in Word Feeder Bermuda pasture. World Feeder is a bermuda more suitable for grazing than hay, as this strain of alfalfa is. Alfalfa is a legume. They have been providing these seeds and sprigs to south Ga farmers for a couple of years as test plots. I remember when World Feeder was 1st introduced about 25 years ago. One of its attributes touted was its deep root system..up to 4' deep. They recommended sprigging it actually, in dry , draught like conditions, to make the roots reach for water.
Didn't realize moringa was a tree. 😂

I have some alfalfa sown into grass that I graze. Not irrigated. It seems to thrive. Grows when nothing else seems to in warm weather. This will be its 4th year. Giving it rest periods is crucial I believe. It starts regrowth amazingly fast.
Good morning clinchvalley86 How much rest are you giving your pastures and why do some sites mention alfalfa is only good for a years?

Thanks

Hi Warren Allison, I called one of the biggest distributors down there, and I was offered three types of legumes which, according to their engineer, two are unsuitable for grazing; he said the two legumes are grown with sugar cane because it depletes the soil and is used for weed control on African palm trees. He said the third legume he offered isn't popular, and if I don't graze it before it gets too mature, he says it becomes bitter, and cattle won't eat it at all. Per our conversation, cattle owners won't see it as an investment. They see it as an expense where they won't see a return on their money, which is why they won't import clover even though parts of Guatemala have the right conditions to grow. However, he's never heard of anyone trying to grow clover in their pastures where our farm is located because it's warm all year; apparently, lack of education/knowledge is also a big part of it. He did say if I can somehow manage to grow it on my pastures, he would like to see it for himself to see how cattle graze on it. I'll update you guys later this year on how it turns out.

Hi Warren Allison, I called one of the biggest distributors down there, and I was offered three types of legumes which, according to their engineer, two are unsuitable for grazing; he said the two legumes are grown with sugar cane because it depletes the soil and is used for weed control on African palm trees. He said the third legume he offered isn't popular, and if I don't graze it before it gets too mature, he says it becomes bitter, and cattle won't eat it at all. Per our conversation, cattle owners won't see it as an investment. They see it as an expense where they won't see a return on their money, which is why they won't import clover even though parts of Guatemala have the right conditions to grow. However, he's never heard of anyone trying to grow clover in their pastures where our farm is located because it's warm all year; apparently, lack of education/knowledge is also a big part of it. He did say if I can somehow manage to grow it on my pastures, he would like to see it for himself to see how cattle graze on it. I'll update you guys later this year on how it turns out.
You might also try seed companies like Dekalb, Pfizer, Pioneer, {Pennington, etc. and ask them what legume they have for warm weather grazing. Is Ammonium Nitrate very expensive down there?

@Chapin81. Sorry. I can't answer your questions. My husband ran a fertilizer plant and prior to that was a nutritionist. He was my "advisor" and mixed up the seed/minerals. I lost him 10 years ago. So many things I never thought to ask him, because he was just always there to take care of things.
I do know most ALL legumes, except Birdsfoot Trefoil, can cause bloat. Alfalfa scares me. Cool wet mornings can turn deadly. I have clover, some wild, some planted, in all my hay fields and pastures WITH grasses. Never gad a bloat problem.

You might also try seed companies like Dekalb, Pfizer, Pioneer, {Pennington, etc. and ask them what legume they have for warm weather grazing. Is Ammonium Nitrate very expensive down there?
To answer your question on ammonium nitrate it's about $65-$70 per 100lbs. I'll do my research on what you mentioned thank you!

@Chapin81. Sorry. I can't answer your questions. My husband ran a fertilizer plant and prior to that was a nutritionist. He was my "advisor" and mixed up the seed/minerals. I lost him 10 years ago. So many things I never thought to ask him, because he was just always there to take care of things.
I do know most ALL legumes, except Birdsfoot Trefoil, can cause bloat. Alfalfa scares me. Cool wet mornings can turn deadly. I have clover, some wild, some planted, in all my hay fields and pastures WITH grasses. Never gad a bloat problem.
Jeanne I'm so sorry for your loss 😔 having a loved one not being around anymore is never easy. Always keep them in our memories.

when you mention cool wet mornings can turn deadly at what stage is clover in, I'm thinking the more mature the plant the less protein? Less likely for bloat? Am I wrong?

Chapin81> Glad to hear the herd health issue is getting resolved. Your clover or grazing issue will be solved in the same manner.
That is from the bottom up. I believe you will find that clover or for that matter, any legume you eventually end up with in your grazing program
will require about a 2 to 1 ration of phosphate and potash to nitrogen. Legumes (and Locust trees I think) will not set nitrogen in phosphate
and potash deficient environment. Cattle love grass or almost any forage from phosphate rich area. What I like to see is my cows eat grass or
clover and go lay down instead of chasing another blade of grass as it is an indication of dietary satisfaction.

I would be cautious about a large capital investment in nitrogen until I had some idea of how much or if there was a deficiency in phosphate
or potash and to what degree. It might be worthwhile to set aside an area for testing a few varieties of seed and different fertilizer applications.
It would not require the State Experimental farms we have here but a few garden variety plots could yield a lot of information that could apply
to your peculiar situation. Hopefully a dedicated local or other interested party would be interested in taking part in the endeavor.
Hope all is well at the house and you get a chance get down to Rapalje and check things out for me!
Have a good year. LVR

@Chapin81 Are there places down there where you can send soil samples to for analysis? If not, could you get your mananger to pull some and send them to you, then you send to your NY Ag Extension office?
There is a lab I found that is reputable it's not crazy expensive but it was suggested that I'd have to send multiple samples of all the paddocks, that I am interested in sampling. Probably our higher ground due to our lower areas sometimes have too much moisture or flooding and I'm willing to bet that it would be hard to grow clover in those areas. But already looking into it. 👍

Chapin81> Glad to hear the herd health issue is getting resolved. Your clover or grazing issue will be solved in the same manner.
That is from the bottom up. I believe you will find that clover or for that matter, any legume you eventually end up with in your grazing program
will require about a 2 to 1 ration of phosphate and potash to nitrogen. Legumes (and Locust trees I think) will not set nitrogen in phosphate
and potash deficient environment. Cattle love grass or almost any forage from phosphate rich area. What I like to see is my cows eat grass or
clover and go lay down instead of chasing another blade of grass as it is an indication of dietary satisfaction.

I would be cautious about a large capital investment in nitrogen until I had some idea of how much or if there was a deficiency in phosphate
or potash and to what degree. It might be worthwhile to set aside an area for testing a few varieties of seed and different fertilizer applications.
It would not require the State Experimental farms we have here but a few garden variety plots could yield a lot of information that could apply
to your peculiar situation. Hopefully a dedicated local or other interested party would be interested in taking part in the endeavor.
Hope all is well at the house and you get a chance get down to Rapalje and check things out for me!
Have a good year. LVR
LVR as always your insight is always welcoming and elaborate which I appreciate 🙏 👍
Do you have any literature that can confirm that deficient soils in potash and phosphate will not set in nitrogen(in legumes) I'd love to read through this, I'll probably start searching for this now 😆. It's interesting you mentioned this because we were told a few months back that our soils lacked phosphorus, but it was done with a drone and software, it was presented to us by a company selling minerals mixed with protein, I never purchased it too much money plus I was skeptical on the whole drone software thing the product was about $120 for 50lbs. I always thought that phosphates deficiency was a common problem through out the world?

Thank you 🙏

Chapin81> I just pulled some info up on wwwnoble.org which I think would be available to you. A problem you will have with P & K
deficient soil is the legume can require 10-15 lbs to the acre to supply its own use and to set (or put) nitrogen into the soil.
Also on a scale of say 1 to 10 N will move at 10 with K at a 3 or so and P at a 1 through the soil. As slow as the P & K move through
the soil it is not economical to attempt to bring those to an acceptable level in one or two years but to a apply what a soil test indicates
for that particular area for the year. Another thing to remember is lets say you do plant a legume (clover or ?) you will find that as the
legume sets more nitrogen (it's the plant that sets the nitrogen not the soil) it will favor the growth of nitrogen intensive grasses to the point
they will smother the legumes as the cattle will keep the legumes grazed beyond the optimum growth point. This puts you in a grass management
situation which can be another can of worms! Normally it is best not to graze more than 5 days in an area to prevent regrazing, after which
you would allow it to grow to a point short of setting a seed head and graze again. I was glad to hear the lights went on at the mention of
phosphorus. Cattle traders and sale barn jockeys aside it is the grass and forage that pays the bills and what better way than a cow to get it
to market !? An aside, I sort of envy you as you have the opportunity to be a pioneer in the application of the cattle business down there.

Good morning clinchvalley86 How much rest are you giving your pastures and why do some sites mention alfalfa is only good for a years?

Thanks
It usually growing in monoculture form. That leaves it susceptible to all kinds of problems, bugs, disease, etc... plus when grasses, forbs, and weeds get a foothold, it's not as valuable hay anymore. And the pure stand is a mixed stand. Thr alfalfa works itself out of the equation I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Rest periods for me range from 30 to 90 days. I've heard of people grazing alfalfa/grass fields for 20+ years.

Alfalfa is a hi input forage for hay production. Pretty sure it's cut every 30 days or so. Lots of fertilizer used.

If you are only on it for a day or two, then get of and let it regrow, it should do decent. I would establish it with other stuff. Some grasses and forms to compliment it. Give you a better hedge against your weather that way.

I'm sure youre going to make sure your soil is up to snuff?

Latest posts