Clover seed spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a good seed spreader for my ATV. I've seen a lot of the cheap ones around and I don't think they would meter clover seed very well.

I have been debating buying a Herd Seeder but wasn't sure if there was a better or cheaper option. I know the Herd is supposed to be good quality but $700 for an ATV seeder seems high.

I will be using it almost exclusively for frost seeding on our hills.

I'm looking to pick up a good seed spreader for my ATV. I've seen a lot of the cheap ones around and I don't think they would meter clover seed very well.

I have been debating buying a Herd Seeder but wasn't sure if there was a better or cheaper option. I know the Herd is supposed to be good quality but $700 for an ATV seeder seems high.

I will be using it almost exclusively for frost seeding on our hills.
I have an old Herd pto model it works well.

Does the Moultrie meter the clover well?

I have one that I use (I will have to look up the brand). Great for overseeding fescue, but it really sucks at spreading clover.
I can't say I'm 100% satisfied with how it does clover. The amounts are so small I'm not even satisfied when I do it by hand.

I have a M3B400R made by herd mounted on the front of the rake tractor for over seeding clover. It is a 12 volt powered model. I did buy the rheostat to slow it down but have never used it. It has been very effective in establishing crimson clover. Last year I sowed some Blackhawk arrow leaf and did not get any up. Hoping for some hard seed to come up this fall if not then the seed was not as good as the germination test showed.

Herd. Hands-down.
I bought a Moultrie years ago. What a piece of crap. May be fine for deer hunters planting foodplots, who don't care if they put out way more seed than they need to...but trying to calibrate that thing to put out expensive clover seed at the appropriate rate for pasture...all but impossible.

Not as well as I would might like but it does ok. Mine is on the receiver hitch and I'm driving on steep ground and frost seeding so I'm not doing a great job spreading anyway

Does the Moultrie feed gate close down enough to regulate clover seed?
Not really and the control on mine broke so I used vice grips to set the opening. I would not buy one again. I have heard that new Herd spinners are now made overseas and that the older ones were more durable. I do not know if that is true or not.

You can buy a 12' grain drill with small seed boxes for less.
Just run it with the openers raised.
Seed cost savings will be significant.

We have the Herd 12 volt ATV model, looks to be around $450 currently online.

I removed the ATV brackets and welded up a bracket to mount it to the front receiver hitch on our side by side. That way I can broadcast seed up front and pull a drag behind. I love the seeder and would buy another in a heartbeat. Only thing I'd change is a way to operate the seed gate from the driver's seat of the machine. Easy to reach back and open it behind you on an atv, but not feasible on the front of side by side. Need to get off my butt and make something.

Latest posts