Clover seed spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

I appreciate all the info. I was mainly going by the clover seeding recommendations from UK.

I have been adding lime and plan to get another load this fall.
What is your soil PH now? Before I would just be buying lime willey nilley, I would get a soil test to see where I was at.

I'm not an expert by any means but I would think you'd have to have some really poor ground not to grow clover consider it grows on our poor soil. If it's already growing there then that tells you something. I think a soil test would be a good idea but we can make things harder than they are sometimes..

What is your soil PH now? Before I would just be buying lime willey nilley, I would get a soil test to see where I was at.
My first soil sample called for 3 tons to the acres. I just had them spread 1 3/4-2 tons an acre 2 years ago so I know I need more lime.

My PH was 5.4 on my first sample.

My first soil sample called for 3 tons to the acres. I just had them spread 1 3/4-2 tons an acre 2 years ago so I know I need more lime.

In general, it takes 1.2 tons of agricultural lime per acre to raise the pH of the loam soil by one point. It is half that for sandy soil and almost double for clay soil.

I've always been told by crop advisors to spread no more than 2 ton at a time, no matter what the tests call for. Wait a year or two and spread another 2 ton or whatever is called for.