Top Quality Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I hear all the time on hear about someone raising beef and how it is so much better than store bought beef. I seem to have a couple fundamental issues with the whole deal. Firstly whaty makes it so much better? It can't be genetics because most calves are sold into commercial facilities and become "store bought". The vast majority of calves raised by people in this forum end up "store bought". So if it isn't genetics is it feed, if your not giving your steer a nutrionist balanced TMR designed for gain and quality what makes you think you can do better? I would love to know. Cattle feeders feed 1000's of cattle out every year and hope to be profitable and the margin they are shooting for is razor thin. What makes people think that they can feed out cattle cheaper and better than the professional buying cattle and feed by the train full? I really think it comes down to perception and education. I once worked in a custom slaughter facility and have heard it all. People bring in the sorriest creatures ever to have the privlegde of leaving this green (yellow in Texas) earth then turn around and brag up the eating quality of their 9 year old shouldabeenasteer bull... Another thing when people say it is so much better what is better? quality grade? tenderness? needle injection sites? carcass age? how are you comparing them?
Don't get me wrong its a good thing to raise your own beef but lets be realistic in our claims.

Well you may be right on some accounts of the home-grown beef being no better than store bought. I can only speak for myself though when I say that I know my home-grown beef is better than store bought. I've had numerous friends that normally eat nothing but store bought over for a steak or burgers and they can't believe how tender and flavorful it is. Now as to why this is true. First off, I butcher a holstein steer. They are known to be very tender and it's certainly true. Secondly, I think people that home grown there beef probably put a bit more money into the animal then a feedlot would. I know I wouldn't make a profit if I were to sell the animal, but I feel the beef is worth the extra cost. That's just my two cents on the subject.

grass-fed beef is better for you. If one raises cattle on quality grass, with little supplement but maybe salt, the resulting beef has the nutritious qualities that beef is supposed to have, as opposed to tons and tons of super-feed crafted by man.

"Perception and Education"? Are you a liberal or somethin'?

Show some respect to cattle producers trying to market their product as beef, as it should be, instead of color or breed. And **** the feedlots.

TxStateCowboy":ve2rqxp0 said:
grass-fed beef is better for you. If one raises cattle on quality grass, with little supplement but maybe salt, the resulting beef has the nutritious qualities that beef is supposed to have, as opposed to tons and tons of super-feed crafted by man.

"Perception and Education"? Are you a liberal or somethin'?

Show some respect to cattle producers trying to market their product as beef, as it should be, instead of color or breed. And be nice the feedlots.
Do you realize how full of sht you are along as your universities?

Beef11":t47nlhx4 said:
It can't be genetics because most calves are sold into commercial facilities and become "store bought". The vast majority of calves raised by people in this forum end up "store bought".

I guess, based on your post, you haven't ever purchased beef that was so much better than the last beef you purchased that you thought to yourself, "Wow, this was a great __________ (fill in the blank), sure beats the heck out of the last __________(fill in the blank)." That difference would account for the difference in the genetics.

So if it isn't genetics is it feed, if your not giving your steer a nutrionist balanced TMR designed for gain and quality what makes you think you can do better? I would love to know.

Feeding out a steer doesn't require a nutritionist, it simply requires a little education about what makes them tick, what they require as far as basic nutrition is required, what they need to gain, and how to raise them. Can be a little complicated, yes, but it is not brain surgery.

Cattle feeders feed 1000's of cattle out every year and hope to be profitable and the margin they are shooting for is razor thin. What makes people think that they can feed out cattle cheaper and better than the professional buying cattle and feed by the train full?

That would probably have a lot to do with the fact that the everyday cattleman or woman does NOT have 50 steers in one pen fighting for feed and fighting with each other. It is a proven fact that the more muscle is used the tougher the becomes, hence the reason that slaughter bulls and old cows mostly go for hamburger. Your average cattleperson feeding out steers or heifers have one or two in a pen, by themselves, and those steers or heifers know each other so there is no dominance fighting and toughening up of the meat. Add to that the fact that your average cattleman or woman does not have to buy feed the quantities necessary to sustain a feed lot and the choice of feed is, generally speaking, a little more variable.

I really think it comes down to perception and education.

Having eaten beef raised on our property as opposed to eating store bought beef, I think you're dead wrong! I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid and I know the difference in flavor, tenderness, and quality.

I once worked in a custom slaughter facility and have heard it all. People bring in the sorriest creatures ever to have the privlegde of leaving this green (yellow in Texas) earth then turn around and brag up the eating quality of their 9 year old shouldabeenasteer bull...

And this makes you an expert?

Another thing when people say it is so much better what is better? quality grade? tenderness? needle injection sites? carcass age? how are you comparing them?

What is better is the overall flavor, tenderness, eye-appeal and consistency of home-grown beef as opposed to store bought beef.

Don't get me wrong its a good thing to raise your own beef but lets be realistic in our claims.

I would suggest you do a little research on how to feed a critter out, feed one out, slaughter it and do your own comparison. I think you will be very pleased with the results. Just my thoughts.

Something ells to factor in is the stress the animal goes through before slaughter. Homegrown beef is content, getting his favorite treat, or meal when the lights go out. :idea:

It can't be genetics because most calves are sold into commercial facilities and become "store bought". The vast majority of calves raised by people in this forum end up "store bought".

I guess, based on your post, you haven't ever purchased beef that was so much better than the last beef you purchased that you thought to yourself, "Wow, this was a great __________ (fill in the blank), sure beats the heck out of the last __________(fill in the blank)." That difference would account for the difference in the genetics.

So if it isn't genetics is it feed, if your not giving your steer a nutrionist balanced TMR designed for gain and quality what makes you think you can do better? I would love to know.

Feeding out a steer doesn't require a nutritionist, it simply requires a little education about what makes them tick, what they require as far as basic nutrition is required, what they need to gain, and how to raise them. Can be a little complicated, yes, but it is not brain surgery.

Cattle feeders feed 1000's of cattle out every year and hope to be profitable and the margin they are shooting for is razor thin. What makes people think that they can feed out cattle cheaper and better than the professional buying cattle and feed by the train full?

That would probably have a lot to do with the fact that the everyday cattleman or woman does NOT have 50 steers in one pen fighting for feed and fighting with each other. It is a proven fact that the more muscle is used the tougher the becomes, hence the reason that slaughter bulls and old cows mostly go for hamburger. Your average cattleperson feeding out steers or heifers have one or two in a pen, by themselves, and those steers or heifers know each other so there is no dominance fighting and toughening up of the meat. Add to that the fact that your average cattleman or woman does not have to buy feed the quantities necessary to sustain a feed lot and the choice of feed is, generally speaking, a little more variable.

I really think it comes down to perception and education.

Having eaten beef raised on our property as opposed to eating store bought beef, I think you're dead wrong! I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid and I know the difference in flavor, tenderness, and quality.

I once worked in a custom slaughter facility and have heard it all. People bring in the sorriest creatures ever to have the privlegde of leaving this green (yellow in Texas) earth then turn around and brag up the eating quality of their 9 year old shouldabeenasteer bull...

And this makes you an expert?

Another thing when people say it is so much better what is better? quality grade? tenderness? needle injection sites? carcass age? how are you comparing them?

What is better is the overall flavor, tenderness, eye-appeal and consistency of home-grown beef as opposed to store bought beef.

I would suggest you do a little research on how to feed a critter out, feed one out, slaughter it and do your own comparison. I think you will be very pleased with the results. Just my thoughts.

[/quote]

So basically you think homegrown is better cause you say so? The USDA has a grading scale actually two of them. As well as tenderness tests. I would love to hear about how you figured out how to beat the system with your production methods that aren't commercially used anymore but i think it would be more realistic to be presented with DATA and not biased opinions that address nothing credible.
I have fed out cattle and have eaten meat from many many homegrown cattle. They were raised with many methods and lacked consistency. Granted some were better than the choice meat bought at the store, most were far from it. The sad reality is that people don't tend to feed cattle out properly to achieve a quality carcass and those that do know how to accomplish this usually can't do it within the margins set by the industry. Those that can own feedlots.

What makes store bought beef so bad?

Txstate

the reason that they quit grass fattening cattle is because grain fed tastes so much better. I fattened an angus on grass and he wasn't something i'd feed to my friends. I didn't know beef was "supposed" to be nasty.

I think most of us like our own beef best because we finish them out the way we like our beef finished. I like mine grain fed and a little over-finished, others want grass fed and some want a little grain on top of the grass. Who knows what you're getting at the grocery store? Those cull cows I send to the sale aren't going for dog food. I've had very good grocery store steaks, but I've also had some that were terrible. When I eat my own I know what to expect.

TxStateCowboy":3t1uszvx said:
Do you realize how full of sht you are along as your universities?

Read that sentence over once, and tell me about universities.

Now I dont care who you are that's funny....

I agree with the last post, its more about knowing what you are going to get. At the store it can go both ways.

I have sold and finish both grain and grass. Once a person gets used to one well the other just will not do.

MD

PS I donated some hamburger to my church for a youth outing. Well one of the older guys came to me later complaining about "them big bags of meat" lol
So some will always like those nice harvested patties????

In the "Stone Age", it was unheard of to buy meat of any kind from a store. We killed our own beef, pork, and poultry. Also raised 90% of the vegetables that we ate. The only reason for going to the store was to get items we couldn't raise, flour, sugar,salt,etc. Did it actually taste better? Yup! Food raised by your own hands does taste better.

I can't say what it is about "store bought" beef that's different, but it definately is different. Has a different smell when it's cookin, dont smell like beef's supposed to smell. Not always but more often than not.
maybe it's whatever they use to make it look "redder" under the meat market lights(because they do use somethin).......have they added any kinda of preservatives? who knows. I just know that hamburger to hamburger, home raised is better, tastes better, and smells better when it's cookin. May also have somethin to do with how long it's aged??? And you can't beat the price.
And one other thing, all depends on how it's cooked, some people just dont know how to cook a steak and make it taste good. Length of time cookin, temperature cookin, etc all factors into how that steak tastes once its on your fork.

Even if it's not somethin I raised, I can go to my local processer and buy meat. For Wayyyyyyy cheaper than the stores sell it.

Recently had this conservation with my slaughter guy who also works for a local packer as a butcher. I was surprized at all the chemical additives enhancers and perservatatives that are used in processing the beef for shipment to the retailer. I was informed that some meat will gain 10%+ in weight with the injections and soakings that it gets in processing. Wet aging is another process of boxed beef, seal it in a plastic bag and let it age on the way to the retailer.
I know that not all processors do it that way but I bet that it is one of the reasons that we can tell the difference in beef quality.
We sell to a speciality market, natural beef...just hay, grain, minerals and water has gone into the animals and routine vaccinations. We can say that we know what the steer has eaten all it's life and in some cases what it's mama has eaten.
Our customers tell us that they can taste the difference and we sell out every quarter so there must be something going on that adds to the claim that farm raised beef is better.
Dave Mc

There are two types of home grown beef. The type that is the best beef is the outstanding animal that the owner has picked out to especially feed for his family to eat. This animal will have the best nutrition and care and will be fed exactly to produce the meat desired by he and his family. To me, this is the kind that will always taste better than the store bought meat. The other kind is the animal that wont bring as much at the sale---it has gotten hurt or it is too short or too fat or the wrong breed cross. This animal is fed corn for 30 days or so and slaughtered and probably is all ground up for hamburger and used in chili and hamburger helper----you never know what this will taste like, but it is fed grain to cover up the lack of desirability. Store bought meat has dyes and chemicals for presentation. Store hamburger is usually ground up at the point that it is near the expiration date, so it wont keep long before spoiling. To sum it up, I like to feed my own beef, but that no. 1 steer can be worth 1100 dollars plus the cost of slaughter and that is a little hard to do. When steers were worth half that, it wasnt too hard to do---lol

Beef,
Do you have any idea how many dairy steers we eat. Have you ever thought about how many longhorns and mongrel cattle that go through the sale barn. I don't want to eat dairy cattle or my neighbors rat tails. There are just as many bad carcass genetics out there as there is good. If you are like TxStateCowboy you don't care what you raise or what it looks like and I guarantee his home raised beef would taste like crap. There are people who actually care about the end result and I would eat their beef anyday.

well i am an oddball i believe taste should give some way (not all but some) to healthiness, though taste can be improved through spices, marinade, and different ways of preparation. I choose my food for nutrition first and taste second, and then make it taste how I want.

i've said it before, we are what we eat. I'd prefer those longhorns in the sale barn going to beef.

That being "my breed" you could say, i think crosses (not pure longhorn) of longhorn with higher-marbling breeds makes great meat, for others it might taste like crap. Depends on how you prepare it too.

Just my opinion.

In my mind I like to reason that the animals I feed out are happier than feedlot cattle. And this is why we end up with great meat, that is commented on by people who buy it as well as ourselves ;-) . During my feed out stage, they get pasture, free choice grain, hay, salt, minerals, fresh water....a litteral smorgasbord to grow and get fat on :D

Beefy, I don't know exactly what you're up to, or why you're doin it, but I think you're trying to say there's room for improvement in the industry as 'Food Suppliers', not just producers of critters.(Although you're comin across in a rather offensive, shoot-from-the-mouth way) I agree 100%, that most producers need to start finding out what the carcasses of their beeves are like, and take action. Improve on it, do something. For every good eating experience someone has with beef, there's one who gets turned off; and THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT. There's alot of room for change and improvement, I won't argue that one bit.

HOWEVER, to say what will make beef good and what makes it bad, or that feedlots and packers are 'experts' at producing quality beef, is pretty misguided. In my opinion, it all starts with the soil. Grass-fed beef will only be good if it was raised on grass raised on balanced soils. Grain fed beef will only be good if it was fed grain raised on balanced soils. I've had just as much beef that was good from conventional operations, as I've had bad. And I've had just as much good from grass-based operations as I have bad. It's all management, and everyone who responded here gave some really good points on how management effects quality. But I will stick to my guns on the culprit being the soil, good or bad.

Where's Doc Harris at a time like this?

I'll add this too.....everyone's entitled to there opinion on this one, and some may blast me for mine. Most folks will think they've got it all figured out, or that they know someone who's more of an expert than the 'experts' that I know. But that's where management through decision making comes into play. Take what you believe to be true and good, and market the hell out of it. You may have something good, but if you don't market it, it ain't gonna sell.

Beef11":352hxvxn said:
What makes store bought beef so bad?
i am very picky about my beef and find most store-bought beef to be lacking in many areas. there is only one place on earth i have found that sells me the beef taste i am looking for and it costs me dearly ($1.00+/ounce).

the major problem i have with most pieces of store-bought meat is the blood taste. if they can get the blood taste out, i can be pretty happy with it. the blood has a metallic flavor to it that turmns me off. the only way to kill the blood taste in bad steak is to overcook it and press it while cooking.

if i had a packing plant nearby that could do a good job, i might be inclined to raise it myself. until that happens i will overpay for good steaks.

[dont ask me how i got off on a processing tangent... :lol: ]

Latest posts