Top Hereford - AI

Help Support CattleToday:

glfgy74

Reaction score
as our last calf dropped, i immediately starting thinking about AI. As these girls get healed up I need to be getting my homework done on who to pair them up with...

Any Suggestions? Purebred Registered Hereford stock...

What are you after? Milk? Calving ease? Growth? Carcass? udder improvement? I know the correct answer is all the above, but you have to look at what you have and where you need to go. ie; cow that doesn't milk and therefore her calf does't wean out well, you need a good bull that helps milk production and so on..... You can get a couple traits covered in one bull but not all, what are you trying to improve in your herd?

i'm looking to get uniform...I only have three Mama's so getting on top of it now should be easier/most important. We can have a real desirable herd going forward if we make the right choices now.

I have a 950-1000lbs mama that has great numbers across the board...i don't think i can mess her up. The other 2 need CE, BW and Milking improvement. I'd like to match a Bull that will unify these girls better.

We've used R294 from ABS on straight bred Red Angus, GelbviehXRed Angus F1s and FlekXRed Angus F1's and have been well pleased with the steers and the heifers/cows. Haven;t looked at his numbers in years, since he does what we want I never bothered with them after the first 2 years we used him.

MSU TCF Revolution 4R is pretty versatile bull I think. He's homo polled and definitely good for CE, BW, and Milk. We've been using him on our registered herd and we absolutely love the daughters we've had of his. Neighbor down the road runs mostly black cattle finally decided to use Hereford AI last year, we didn't even know about it till after they bought semen but they used Revolution as well as TH 122 71I Victor 719T. I know a lot of people really like CRR About Time 743 but problem is his semen is getting pretty expensive, it wouldn't make much sense to spend the high $ to use on commercial cattle IMO. You could use his sire though, THM Durango 4037.

I don't imagine u want to use R294 his sire is horned so if your looking for a true polled bull I would use Durango 4037. Better get his semen now to I heard he died so it will go up to if that's the case.

Awesome feedback!! I've been eyeing Victor 719T for a little while! I'll check the Hereford Catalogs for the others. The Durango Bull rings a bell also!

Bred cows last year to Victor 755t (Accelerated), a 3/4 brother to 719t. I wouldn't use him on heifers but the steers we have are competing with a proven performance A.I. simmental sire. Heifers are supposedly his strength, and the few we have look good. We bred more to him this summer. Here are a few bad cell-phone pics.

Heifer Calf from Late July
651.jpg

Steer Calf
3311.jpg

Heifer Calf Looks GREAT! Why do you say you wouldn't use him on Heifers?

You have many trying to get at the corn across the street?

We had a few calves that were in the 85-90lb range, just not comfortable using him on heifers. Better CE bulls out there IMO.

Ha that picture was taken about the time the grass was getting dry and hard and the corn was still nice and green. Usually don't have any trouble unless pasture runs right up next to the field....then the hot-wire is helpful :nod:

Latest posts