Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":2o9sypjg said:
Red Bull Breeder":2o9sypjg said:
Last look I had at skidder tire prices was between $2500.00 and $3000.00 a piece. That was for 28L.
That's not on the wheel though and not delivered, and put on out in the field...and the ones we have are bigger.
The 4 we got in the auction, I think we paid 1500...They are used, but for the amount we'll use them they'll work..

jedstivers":1f45tqg9 said:
Cross-7":1f45tqg9 said:
jedstivers":1f45tqg9 said:
You must have a hobby farm with no more equipment than that.

I don't know Jed
I see what all you do and wonder how you do it
Crap man how do you manage it all ?

You and your boys are inspiring to watch !
Thanks cross.
Actually for here I run a smaller operation. Some are much bigger.
Blows my mind..

cowgirl8":188as5zu said:
Red Bull Breeder":188as5zu said:
Last look I had at skidder tire prices was between $2500.00 and $3000.00 a piece. That was for 28L.
That's not on the wheel though and not delivered, and put on out in the field...and the ones we have are bigger.

Oh yea, wtf was we thinkin? Should have known your's were bigger and cost more.

Yep but they are brand new. Wheels are not worth much. Tons of them around. 28l is pretty much the industry standard unless its for a old smaller skidder those would be cheaper. Maybe you could tell us the make and model of skidder you have?

Red Bull Breeder":l17yztf3 said:
Yep but they are brand new. Wheels are not worth much. Tons of them around. 28l is pretty much the industry standard unless its for a old smaller skidder those would be cheaper. Maybe you could tell us the make and model of skidder you have?
Its not the wheels, its getting them off and on. Not a easy job.. Not tons of them around for a good deal. Odd size would not be cheaper, what parts store are you buying from when odd size is cheaper..lol When I get a chance I might entertain you with the skidder we have. But, think about this, you guys are bellyaching on the price of simple truck tires.. Call a tire service who makes house calls to the middle of a wooded area. See what they charge if they supply the tire.. That would end this questioning.

Just a note, husband does not call a tire service, these monster tires are no struggle for him to do himself... and that's the truth

Brute 23":y3f5l3c9 said:
skyhightree1":y3f5l3c9 said:
Brute 23":y3f5l3c9 said:
I left a location last week and we had had a little rain. Its a windy... worn out... two lane road out of there. The back end started sliding on me in a turn with cars in the inside lane. I drive this road all the time and that has never happened before.

Maybe they slid cause you were going 111 mph in the turn instead of 110mph they were rated for :D Ya know sometimes we push things to the limit

My dad said I just need more junk in the bed.

:lol:

cowgirl8":12v0ri5l said:
Just a note, husband does not call a tire service, these monster tires are no struggle for him to do himself... and that's the truth

I thought I had met a couple nut cases in my life, but they weren't even close. I'd only give em a 2 or maybe a 3, but you're a perfect 10.

I have had John Deere Cat and Timberjack skidders. Worked around Franklin and Tree Farmer skidders. I can find any skidder wheel you want for cheap might even have them myself. Myself and a friend can change a set of skidder tires in four or 5 hours in the woods. It just isn't that hard a job.

Red Bull Breeder":3vgiq79w said:
I have had John Deere Cat and Timberjack skidders. Worked around Franklin and Tree Farmer skidders. I can find any skidder wheel you want for cheap might even have them myself. Myself and a friend can change a set of skidder tires in four or 5 hours in the woods. It just isn't that hard a job.
not talking about wheels. We have those sitting all over.

cowgirl8":fcit5xyh said:
DId anyone count how many tires we have to maintain? I figured someone would. its a bunch isn't it...Of course, the semi and semi trailers have a ton of tires. Hope you guys take that into account.

I just counted mine. 122 tires on the ground.
I only have 60 cows and a little fence company.
We mount and balance almost all tires ourselves. Even do front end alignment on some of the vehicles.

callmefence":2gyuao19 said:
cowgirl8":2gyuao19 said:
DId anyone count how many tires we have to maintain? I figured someone would. its a bunch isn't it...Of course, the semi and semi trailers have a ton of tires. Hope you guys take that into account.

We mount and balance almost all tires ourselves. Even do front end alignment on some of the vehicles.

Do you have a old bubble balancer? Probably one of the best tools I've owned.

True Grit Farms":1jedl8dl said:
callmefence":1jedl8dl said:
cowgirl8":1jedl8dl said:

Yes I do as well as a manual tire machine. Red never paid to have a tire mounted in his life, and I inherited that. A minor front end alignment can be done with turntables and a tape measure.

The only exception is the wife's car. I have it computer balanced.

callmefence":26j83mgk said:
True Grit Farms":26j83mgk said:
callmefence":26j83mgk said:

Yes I do as well as a manual tire machine. Red never paid to have a tire mounted in his life, and I inherited that. A minor front end alignment can be done with turntables and a tape measure.

Rookie, for everything except my truck and wifes car I use a beater bar and 2 tire irons. Neighbor has a coates machine but I can have one off the rim and back on before I can load it up and take it to the machine

I drive 2 many miles a week on highway so I pay for balance and alignment.

M-5":38jer5zz said:
callmefence":38jer5zz said:
True Grit Farms":38jer5zz said:

Rookie, for everything except my truck and wifes car I use a beater bar and 2 tire irons. Neighbor has a coates machine but I can have one off the rim and back on before I can load it up and take it to the machine

Not a rookie. Been breaking down tires since I was 5. ;-)
Still do plenty with irons. Rears off the tractors don't fit on the tire machine. But I use it when I can.
Anybody with half a nut will tell you to work smarter not harder. ;-)

By the way you got screwed on the tires. Just tuff it out you'll be walking normal in a week or so. :D

callmefence":310bkihg said:
M-5":310bkihg said:
callmefence":310bkihg said:

Not a rookie. Been breaking down tires since I was 5. ;-)
Still do plenty with irons. Rears off the tractors don't fit on the tire machine. But I use it when I can.
Anybody with half a nut will tell you to work smarter not harder. ;-)

By the way you got screwed on the tires. Just tuff it out you'll be walking normal in a week or so. :D

I did my homework and the price is fair for these particular tires .

If these last like the last ones I didn't pay 2 much you will put on 3 sets to my one. Just imagine putting in metal post vs wood . you get what you pay for.

It's not hard , just takes a little practice to be good at it. A good beater bar and tire hammer you can break a bead pretty quick then it's just working it off in small bites at a time. Farm stuff I don't worry about balance , but will pay to have my truck balanced , I drive too many miles.

Dogs and Cows":1zke49w0 said:
I guess I'm just a hobby driver...all my vehicles go to the shop for new tires, balancing, etc. I don't have the time or equipment/tools to do it myself. I'm sure I could if I wanted, but I'd rather not...how hard is it to get a tire off the rim and back on manually?

Tim

Tim
There's nothing wrong to being a hobby driver.
As long as you don't get all ****ed up about being called what you are.
Breaking and mounting tires is easy once you learn how. It's a dirty job.
Kinda like 5 said alot of times it's easier to fix it yourself than drive into town and wait in line to pay someone to do it.
Fwiw 80.00 bucks will buy you what you need.
A couple of irons, a box of plugs ,patches, tubes, and valve stems. We use the fel to break em down. Or in a pinch, just run over it.

Latest posts