Tip for newbie cab tractor drivers...

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
It IS possible to lock youself IN the cab of a tractor. It is also hard to pull those little bitty clips out without a set of pliers or screwdriver and climb out the window without falling head first on the ground only to get up and realize you left the keys in the tractor. NOTE: this will only happen when anyone that could possibly help you is at least an hour's drive away. :oops: [/u]

Oh Sidney, that's awful...I'm so sorry. And, now that I know you are ok, please forgive while I laugh myself silly.

I haven't done exactly that, but I've done things so similar that I can sympathize a whole, whole lot. I'm not laughing at ya' darlin...I'm laughing with ya'.

Alice

oh man i bet you was mad when the door locked.ive had a cab tractor almost 30yrs an no 1 was has ever gotten locked in.so i goyya ask how did the door lock.your lucky you can crawl out the cab windows.i know im to big to do that.id get stuck in the window.

Well, when I unlocked it I guess I didn't unlock it all the way? and then when I slammed the door shut - It's hard to get it to latch all the way - it locked back? I don't know the mechanics behind how the latch part works but I did just change out the handle a couple months ago because it broke off while I was baling hay. Once again - stuck IN the tractor. Good thing then was my B-I-L was raking and finally understood all my frantic hand waving and came and opened the door for me after he got up off the ground from laughing at me so hard. It's really not THAT funny you know. I seem to have everything break when I'm in the tractor - no one else has these problems. I had a hydraulic hose bust under the dash while I was baling last year too. Drenched me and the entire cab in hot hydraulic fluid before I could get it shut off. Once again B-I-L was laughing his @ss off as I jump out of the tractor soaked and cussing. Funny how his tractor never breaks!

jw":3av6fqvp said:
YOU GOTTA CAB??

Oh, to be so lucky!!

gotta have a cab in OK and Texas. It gets hot as blue blazes and it keeps the dust out of my nose. I am allergic to hay and dust and couldn't farm without it. Definitely worth the extra $

Not quite as bad as when I went to quickly climb down IH 1066.

I tend to get off tractor facing forward, in other words, I don't back down. I usually barely hit the 1st step and off and running. I mean, who has time to lolly gag around, right?

For some ungodly reason, my jean shorts snagged on the power shift lever... you know between the butt cheek and the shorts. I went off the step only my @$$ never moved, instead I kind of did a slow motion pendulum thing, and when I kicked a bit before I realized what had happened, I landed on my head, on the ground. Why is it when you do something like that, and there is someone around, they always see it?

My husbands sage words... "lucky you didn't hurt the tractor"... and of course the sage words of the b-i-l... "you better grab a shovel on the way back to fill in that hole you just made"...

They are so lucky to have someone to bring a smile to their faces :D

Michele

sidney411":2ly9t8za said:
It IS possible to lock youself IN the cab of a tractor. It is also hard to pull those little bitty clips out without a set of pliers or screwdriver and climb out the window without falling head first on the ground only to get up and realize you left the keys in the tractor. NOTE: this will only happen when anyone that could possibly help you is at least an hour's drive away. :oops: [/u]

Sid you are kidding right? Why did you lock the cab?

gotta have a cab in OK and Texas. It gets hot as blue blazes and it keeps the dust out of my nose. I am allergic to hay and dust and couldn't farm without it. Definitely worth the extra $

I just haven't found one for my Super M.

I really haven't looked, either.

Sid, something tells me that this tractor doesn't like you. I'm thinking along the lines of those shows you see, ya know,those TV shows titled "Good pets gone bad"(who turn on their owners). I guess this is a case of " Good tractor gone bad".

:lol: :lol:

Don't feel bad, I once locked myself in the enclosed porch. Couldn't get into the house, and couldn't get out of the porch. Husband had a good time with that one. :roll:

Katherine

Its no fun eing locked in the cab. I had it happen once when the AC went out. Good thing I'm small because I took the hinges off the back window and was able to crawl out!!

i would make fun of you right about now but things i read about on this forum always happen to me like the next week after i read it. like that cow you had that walked funny like she had a catch in a her hip.. i have one that started doing that.

When you plow with mules, you don't need keys, just a carrot on a stick.

I have never locked the cab on the backhoe nor the cab on the Massey. Hence, I don't know if it is possible to lock myself in. The Caterpillar doesn't have a cab but just ROP.

I seem to always have problem with equipment! Seems like every time I go to hook up a trailer it has lights out or a flat ect. Something always seems to break when I'm using it. Last year when I was spraying one of the sprayer arms fell off when I was way in the back pasture. My stupid cell wouldn't work back there and I ended up having to disasemble the whole 10ft arm and leave it in the pasture to get back to the barn.

I have bad alergies and asthma. If I didn't have a cab I wouldn't be able to do a lot of the things I do, such as baling hay, spraying and shredding.

We lock the cab to keep the honest criminals from stealing it and also for insurance reasons. If something (tractor, barn, truck) is able to be locked and is stolen and they can prove in some way that it was not locked then insurance doesn't have to pay. You have to take some measure to keep it from being stolen blah blah blah.

Hey Beefy - at least I haven't been hit by lightening yet! Knock on wood :p

BTW - It does seem like I do the most stupid things when there is someone there to laugh at me. It keeps like fun and interesting. :lol:

Well I'll be, I did not know that was possible. Sorry to hear
about your misfortune. I thought I was the only one to pull
off sh*t like that lol. Good Day :lol:

I never locked myself in the cab of a tractor, but I did learn the hard way a lesson about dismounting a 1066 in a forward position. :shock: :shock: Ouch!

rkm":2qlvq3hy said:
I never locked myself in the cab of a tractor, but I did learn the hard way a lesson about dismounting a 1066 in a forward position. :shock: :shock: Ouch!
when i dismount a tractor.i do it facing farwards.i like to see where im going.the only time ill go backwards is if im getting something out of the cab.

Latest posts