Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme":2b1ndmla said:
Rafter S":2b1ndmla said:
Margonme":2b1ndmla said:
Ropinranger:
I could give you a book about an invisible man who was a Wizard. One day he waved his big arms and the Universe was created.

Then you say, "How do I know this?"

I say, "Faith".

Science don't work like that. Research work must be demonstrated. Until it can be duplicated and verified, it is a THEORY.

Beginning in the hallowed dawn of antiquity, mankind has sought for his own answers. Many find it easier to follow the book. Others like Aristotle and his breed, put their great minds to the task of explaining the natural wonders of the world. The body of knowledge although staggering is inept at providing answers to all man's wonders. Is that reason to whine, throw up your hands and live in a fantasy?

Some of us are living in a fantasy. Others are not. It remains to be seen which group is correct.

Some are living a fantasy. Others seek information and knowledge employing the best methods possible, SCIENCE.

We should not leave out a big crowd that don't care one way or the other.
:banana:
Without God can there really be any atheist.

Commercialfarmer":3nk7bk4m said:
Good questions. I have one as well. If time ends, was your entire career not a complete waste of effort and meaningless?

Regardless of whether time ends or continues, you can legitimately ask if any effort has merit, be it the effort of man or ant!

Margonme":3fdnpb6e said:
Commercialfarmer":3fdnpb6e said:
Good questions. I have one as well. If time ends, was your entire career not a complete waste of effort and meaningless?

Regardless of whether time ends or continues, you can legitimately ask if any effort has merit, be it the effort of man or ant!

Nearly all efforts by those in the animal kingdom have merit, regardless of time. Their efforts generally support the survival/continuation of that species; by default, giving it merit in the 'big picture'. The only animal I wonder if this doesn't apply to is man.

Margo--I know how science works...which is why I made "fun" of it...science "theories" have, as said above--and YOU know this--been taken as "fact" and are being taught in school today.

So, don't have a number of the % chance of the big bang, eh?? didn't think so.

And, who was whining, not I!!!

"'Cosmology may look like a science, but it isn't a science,' says James Gunn of Princeton University, co-founder of the Sloan survey. 'A basic tenet of science is that you can do repeatable experiments, and you can't do that in cosmology.'"

Cho, Adrian, A singular conundrum: How odd is our universe? Science 317:1848–1850, 2007.

ropinranger":278j1uew said:
Margo--I know how science works...which is why I made "fun" of it...science "theories" have, as said above--and YOU know this--been taken as "fact" and are being taught in school today.

So, don't have a number of the % chance of the big bang, eh?? didn't think so.

And, who was whining, not I!!!

In science, Theories suffer a dramatic mortality rate. The probability that the Big Bang Theory will explain the origins of the Universe are <1%.

bball":rwessslp said:
Margonme":rwessslp said:
Commercialfarmer":rwessslp said:

Nearly all efforts by those in the animal kingdom have merit, regardless of time. Their efforts generally support the survival/continuation of that species; by default, giving it merit in the 'big picture'. The only animal I wonder if this doesn't apply to is man.

bball, step out of your Homo sapiens frame of reference.

Now, in the scheme of the Universe, What significance does ANYTHING that occurs on earth have?

NONE. If the earth were to implode, it would not shake one molecule in another solar system. Life on planets light-years away from Earth are not impacted.

I will take this to the ultimate. What if the Universe contracts back onto itself and TIME, the Universe, Our Solar System, and Earth cease to exist. What consequences would there be? Would someone write God a Violation and assess a penalty. Lol.

We as a species put far too much importance on ourselves. In the context of the Universe: NOTHING HAS SIGNIFICANCE.

Margonme":1jsxw4om said:
Preface: Please limit participation in this thread to those who are Scientist, Philosophers or anyone else with an open mind. May not be suitable for fundamentalist, Muslims or old time Preachers.

Starting a new thread on TIME. I was annoying another user on the Market thread. Let's avoid RELIGION. Keep it clean! No calling names or insults please. The Moderators will thank you:

Time and space are inextricably linked - this is what we call 'spacetime'. The spacetime in which we exist (the Universe) was created in the Big Bang, and as such this can be considered the beginning of time.

Whether time will end depends on the ultimate fate of the Universe. The Universe may continue to expand forever, it may slow to a halt, or it may collapse back in on itself in a 'Big Crunch'. In the first two scenarios time does not have an end. In the Big Crunch case, spacetime as we know it would be destroyed, and time could be considered to have ended.

How can time have a beginning? If time has a beginning, it should also have an end too. What happens after time ends? Isn't it more logical to assume time is infinite without a beginning and end?
Is there any theory which is very close to describe our universe as a whole? (It's beginning, it's lifetime, its end).

Why is it hard to understand that time has a beginning and an end?
According to science, how did time begin?
How can there be a beginning of time?
When people say time may end are they talking about our universe or whole multiverses (if it exist)?
When does history end and "recent events" begin?
Will time end?
When did time start? What is its beginning?
How old is the universe?
If we were to build a wormhole how do we know where the end of it will be in space and time?
Is it possible that time is circular and that there was never really a beginning?
If time is defined as a dimension, does that imply that time has no beginning or end?
If time has no beginning and no end, does this mean that time is not really a valid concept?
If the universe was uniformly distributed energy in space time in the beginning and uniformly distributed energy in space time in the end, why is the entropy different?

So are you saying you believe nothing became something blew up and created everything

TexasBred":jdj3g2qv said:
"'Cosmology may look like a science, but it isn't a science,' says James Gunn of Princeton University, co-founder of the Sloan survey. 'A basic tenet of science is that you can do repeatable experiments, and you can't do that in cosmology.'"

Richard, fundamentally James Gunn is correct and in fact this is the point I am making. The Big Bang Theory is that: a Theory. The problem James Gunn has pointed out for many years is there is not an experiment that can test the Theory.

James Gunn is an astronomer who clearly has supported a natural origin for the Universe. His work has contributed to how galaxies are formed.

Biography of James Gunn:

Funding issues and practical applications aside, Gunn has absolute certainty about why we must continue to search the skies: "because we're sentient, curious people and it's important to our humanity to learn where we came from and where life came from… What these things do is underscore the fact that we should be humble… We shouldn't lose sight of the larger context."

Caustic Burno":mgse1p1q said:
Margonme":mgse1p1q said:
Preface: Please limit participation in this thread to those who are Scientist, Philosophers or anyone else with an open mind. May not be suitable for fundamentalist, Muslims or old time Preachers.

Starting a new thread on TIME. I was annoying another user on the Market thread. Let's avoid RELIGION. Keep it clean! No calling names or insults please. The Moderators will thank you:

Time and space are inextricably linked - this is what we call 'spacetime'. The spacetime in which we exist (the Universe) was created in the Big Bang, and as such this can be considered the beginning of time.

Whether time will end depends on the ultimate fate of the Universe. The Universe may continue to expand forever, it may slow to a halt, or it may collapse back in on itself in a 'Big Crunch'. In the first two scenarios time does not have an end. In the Big Crunch case, spacetime as we know it would be destroyed, and time could be considered to have ended.

How can time have a beginning? If time has a beginning, it should also have an end too. What happens after time ends? Isn't it more logical to assume time is infinite without a beginning and end?
Is there any theory which is very close to describe our universe as a whole? (It's beginning, it's lifetime, its end).

Why is it hard to understand that time has a beginning and an end?
According to science, how did time begin?
How can there be a beginning of time?
When people say time may end are they talking about our universe or whole multiverses (if it exist)?
When does history end and "recent events" begin?
Will time end?
When did time start? What is its beginning?
How old is the universe?
If we were to build a wormhole how do we know where the end of it will be in space and time?
Is it possible that time is circular and that there was never really a beginning?
If time is defined as a dimension, does that imply that time has no beginning or end?
If time has no beginning and no end, does this mean that time is not really a valid concept?
If the universe was uniformly distributed energy in space time in the beginning and uniformly distributed energy in space time in the end, why is the entropy different?

So are you saying you believe nothing became something blew up and created everything

CB. I believe THERE IS A NATURAL EXPLANATION FOR THE CREATION OF EVERYTHING. No person of any credibility has the data to support a Law of Science for how that natural process occurred. The Big Bang Theory is a popular starting point. The likelihood that it proves out is <1%. As you know as a chemist, Theories have an extremely high mortality rate.

TennesseeTuxedo":30svo4ir said:
I have a couple of theories but I feel it best I keep them to myself.

Oh boy. Your the guy Inyati told me about, "Daddie".

I warn you, don't run this into a discussion on religion! Let's keep this on the subject of physics, astronomy, etc

Margonme":dxq1iskz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":dxq1iskz said:

I warn you, don't run this into a discussion on religion! Let's keep this on the subject of physics, astronomy, etc

You have been discussing religion, even quoting some of their authors. You're only offended by the discussion of Christianity.

Your faith is admirable. You were taught well, you just take offense to that teaching, and your frustration spews out in your threads. Be at peace.

D2Cat":15tj5odr said:
Margonme":15tj5odr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":15tj5odr said:

You have been discussing religion, even quoting some of their authors. You're only offended by the discussion of Christianity.

Your faith is admirable. You were taught well, you just take offense to that teaching, and your frustration spews out in your threads. Be at peace.

Authors on religion??? Give me an example. I may have missed it.

Please use one of my posts where I take offense. I respond when prompted. But offense? I don't see it. But I am a firm believer that others see you sometimes when you don't see yourself. Help me out please.

Edited to add: I referenced THE SOURCE by James Michener. Certainly not a religious author. James Gunn is a Princeton Professor of astronomy. I don't see the religious quotes!!@

D2Cat,
I have read the thread a second time. I see no evidence of having taken offense. Forgive me if that puts the burden back on you.

In fact, except in a very clinical sense, this thread has been science, not religion.

If you mean that reference to the Vatican that was for the purpose of supporting the statement that Catholicism is a State based Religion. Meaning the Vatican acts as not only the capital of the Church but is also a self ruled state.

did you watch any of the videos on the link i gave you on the saloon thread??

margo how did we come up with this idea of right and wrong? if we all came from nothing and are just a bunch of animals with no higher authority who gets to decide whats right or wrong? why shouldn't i go rob a bank? if i dont think its wrong

TexasBred said:
And here I am still trying to figure how far is "up".

Take two measurements when you wake in the morning. One laying in bed prone and one standing. The difference is "UP"
When you awake one morning and the measurements are the same. You have reached the end of TIME.

Latest posts