Time to get rid of the bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been run down, run over, and just generally thumped by a bull before. It isn't nearly as much fun as people would tell you. I am not nearly as fast as I once was so it isn't as much fun as it use to be. Bull looks sideways at me and he is gone. Period. Good bulls aren't cheap but doctors and hospitals are more expensive. A real good bull doesn't even start what a day at the hospital will cost.

So there are bulls out there that never growl and blow snot? This one has been pretty good even in high stress situations like when we were sorting cows and calves last year. I rotational graze with a trailer some and he hasn't been hard to load or agressive. I try to never let one get by with intimidation but I dont force the issue by trying to beat on him if he acts up. And I'll be honest. they all scare me and I dont trust any of them, cows or bulls nor do I try to make a pet of them.

I have a Hereford that is dog tame, but he will not stay in the coral. Had him in with my yearling bulls. One day had them penned up because a customer was coming to look at them. I was working on sorting off some of them and he decided enough of that. Calmly he stuck his head under he panel and off he went, with all the other calves with him. 10 min before the guy was supposed to be here. (He drove 2 hours with his trailer to pick one up) luckily I was in the truck with feed box, got them called back up and penned back up. I was able to get him ran out first. The sucker did the same thing to get INTO the pen. I was able to get it set back up before any of the other calves could get out this time. I've never seen any cattle that would calmly break out of the coral. The guy showed up and decided to take 2 bulls home, so that made things better.
If his calves weren't so good, I wouldn't deal with him. He will eat grain out of your hand, and expects his back scratched every day. I have heifers out of chisum, right answer, upgrade, victor 719t, and his are standouts above all of them.

greybeard":wkcxdbux said:
As good a place as any to put this:
A word to the wise...never ride a bicycle thru a pasture with a beefmaster bull in it, even if the fishing down at the pond is good and the doc says you need more exercise...................unless you can pedal really really fast thru wet soggy ground...and that's all I have to say about that. :oops: :help:

:shock: :shock: :lol2: :lol: :cry2: :lol2:

I'm sorry, but envisioning that whole scenario............................. :lol2: :lol2:

I'm glad you were able to get away.