Time to get rid of the bull

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnhunter

Reaction score
How do you know when its time to get rid of a bull? Mine bowed his neck and growled today with his tounge hanging out. When I threw a rock at him he barely moved off and stared at me like "I owed him money" Hes coming on three years old and has been pretty calm so far. Last year when I put him through the chute he didnt like it and after I turned him out he went the log way around to try and get behind me. How do you decide what is being too agressive?

Yup, trust your gut. Few years ago I had a coming 3 year old that I just never liked, never trusted. Tried to take out my husband one day and that was it. Why did we wait so long? Planned on taking him to the Sale Barn that week but a friend that has a huge operation, does everything on horseback, wanted this bull because he had awesome EPD's - except obviously not docility. They still have him, he's still aggressive, we're still alive. Side note: I retained 3 of his heifers, one is even named Sweetie Pie.

Yes it seems you have become wary of him and he has picked that up. No matter how hard you try you won't be able to reverse things so I think the partnership is over, he needs to go before damage is done.

Ken

mtnhunter":2zk28oxg said:
How do you know when its time to get rid of a bull? Mine bowed his neck and growled today with his tounge hanging out. When I threw a rock at him he barely moved off and stared at me like "I owed him money" Hes coming on three years old and has been pretty calm so far. Last year when I put him through the chute he didnt like it and after I turned him out he went the log way around to try and get behind me. How do you decide what is being too agressive?
I've had several Bulls through the years.... wasnt a one of them, that liked the chute...some of my most docile, were Aggravating when working them..as far as the aggressiveness goes, sounds like he's testing you.. Sorta like your a threat to him,or a little to close to his zone.like silver said..depending on your knowledge and capability..Some are bluffing and some,Will eat your lunch...but I don't want one I gotta watch constantly or walk the long way around...

Sounds like he's being a bull.
Just leave him alone and let him do his thing. Don't run through the chute, don't approach head on, don't pet, don't try to entrap him, don't yell or beat with a stick, and for sure don't bother when with a cow in heat!
As long as he's not coming after you while your just walk through the pasture, just leave him alone.
When it comes time to put him on a trailer, just back the trailer up, and more than likely he will jump in with time, and feed.

sim.-ang.king":3cqj00zy said:
Sounds like he's being a bull.
Just leave him alone and let him do his thing. Don't run through the chute, don't approach head on, don't pet, don't try to entrap him, don't yell or beat with a stick, and for sure don't bother when with a cow in heat!
As long as he's not coming after you while your just walk through the pasture, just leave him alone.
When it comes time to put him on a trailer, just back the trailer up, and more than likely he will jump in with time, and feed.

And stop throwing rocks at him. Nobody likes having rocks thrown at them.

Mtnhunter you can get rid of that bull before he hurts someone or after. Simple choice and that easy. Once that behavior starts it does not get better. I try to NEVER turn my back on a bull and I take simple steps like putting out feed while the cattle are locked outside the gate, etc. That being said I am not looking over my shoulder while fixing a fence.
Last year brother had two bulls. I named one Junior and one Psycho. I named Psycho that the first time he bowed up and started rotating that head at my brother. He blew me off on my concerns. Next time Psycho chased one of the kids feeding hogs then chased a neighbor riding through. Then I was riding through with my brother and he got off to check Psycho. Psycho chased my brother behind a tree while my brother was throwing rocks and yelling at him. I sat in the Kawasaki Mule laughing. That was mean but brother had been warned. Psycho went to the sale barn the next week. I would have made him hamburger instead.
Your bull will get more aggressive with time and age not less. Dump the bull before you get hurt.

I had one, a number of years ago, that started that nonsense. He was about 5 or 6 at the time. I did not run from him, but kept an eye on him when I was out in the pastures and fields. After a bit of time, he started crow-hopping, shaking his head and blowing snot while coming right for me. A few days later he did it every time he saw me or anyone, whether we were in the fields or not. So, That's when I decided that he needed to go, while we were still able to get him in the working pen and up the chute and into a trailer. He wasn't worth the liability, and I no longer felt safe.

If you feel he's not safe, then he's not safe for you. Time to grow a set of wheels.

As good a place as any to put this:
A word to the wise...never ride a bicycle thru a pasture with a beefmaster bull in it, even if the fishing down at the pond is good and the doc says you need more exercise...................unless you can pedal really really fast thru wet soggy ground...and that's all I have to say about that. :oops: :help:

greybeard":15wzv2c5 said:
A word to the wise...never ride a bicycle thru a pasture with a beefmaster bull in it, even if the fishing down at the pond is good and the doc says you need more exercise...................unless you can pedal really really fast thru wet soggy ground...and that's all I have to say about that. :oops: :help:
Did the bike survive?

ez14.":mw0ian96 said:
greybeard":mw0ian96 said:
Did the bike survive?
Greybeard has a way of embellishing his stories :p

Did the bike survive?[/quote]Cow language isn't that intuitive to us.. They do have a kind of grunt with the tongue hanging out that, for as much as I can tell, means pet me, feed me, or something along those lines.. I've had several cows and some bulls do it and it has never indicated a problem. Pawing the ground is a dealbreaker

That said, if you're uncomfortable with it, they pick up on that, and they can turn that into a game of their own.. It's a game to them at least!

I'm sure the bike is fine for now, but depends how long before I go back and get it out of the pond.....rode it right off the end of the little dock. Water wasn't deep but it was cold.

greybeard":nl3hmg7l said:
I'm sure the bike is fine for now, but depends how long before I go back and get it out of the pond.....rode it right off the end of the little dock. Water wasn't deep but it was cold.
:lol:

We haven't had a bad attitude bull in a while, but I sure haven't sold my single action 22 revolver, that stays loaded with bird shot, either.

ALACOWMAN":3b96xvlm said:
A rock sure won't deter a bull....
Nope. But Fly Ban will. Seriously. We were spraying the herd for flies when the aforementioned bull came after my husband. Direct hit in the eyes with a stream of 7.4% Permethrin/7.4% Piperonyl Butoxide stopped him dead in his tracks, just long enough for hubby to escape.

Latest posts