thoughts on young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes he'll catch up eventually. He has a very masculine front end, very good coat, a better topline than the first bullcalf, a touch more bone, but he lacks the depth and volume I want to see in a young bull. Growthwise he'll grow out of the restrictions his 13 year old dam has put on him, but he'll never be deep enough for me.

i was also concerned with the lack of depth which is why i did nt post him with the first bull. he will be kept as company for the other 2 young bulls i have then prob go for steaks.

The discussions here (including the pictures) on this thread between Knersie and Sporder are as excellent a "lesson" on 'Beef Cow Selection' protocols from a practical and pragmatic point of view as one would desire to find! It exemplifies the critical importance that understanding the basic fundamentals of Single Trait Selection decision-making WILL make a huge difference in buildling a profitable beef herd! I suggest that all breeders who are seeking information on "Common Sense" selection factors copy this entire thread, and keep referring to it over and over in making future breeding herd selection decisions.

This is "TEXT BOOK INSTRUCTION AND LEARNING" folks! People have paid a lot of money to get the kind of information contained in this thread, and most of what they heard is not as practical as what is in these two or three pages. By combining the Phenotype factors with the specific Genotype results in mating decisions in breeding choices, future progeny may be expected to produce a PROFIT for the producer.

Kudos to both Sporder and Knersie for this terrific bit of information!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1xho6304 said:
The discussions here (including the pictures) on this thread between Knersie and Sporder are as excellent a "lesson" on 'Beef Cow Selection' protocols from a practical and pragmatic point of view as one would desire to find! It exemplifies the critical importance that understanding the basic fundamentals of Single Trait Selection decision-making WILL make a huge difference in buildling a profitable beef herd! I suggest that all breeders who are seeking information on "Common Sense" selection factors copy this entire thread, and keep referring to it over and over in making future breeding herd selection decisions.

This is "TEXT BOOK INSTRUCTION AND LEARNING" folks! People have paid a lot of money to get the kind of information contained in this thread, and most of what they heard is not as practical as what is in these two or three pages. By combining the Phenotype factors with the specific Genotype results in mating decisions in breeding choices, future progeny may be expected to produce a PROFIT for the producer.

Kudos to both Sporder and Knersie for this terrific bit of information!

DOC HARRIS

Amen, Doc. I think this type of information and discussion is what brings most of us to these type of boards. :nod:

Latest posts