Thoughts on these bull's epd's...

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Found a few more angus bulls to go look at. Anybody care to offer their thoughts on them. Might save some driving. Commercial herd to be used in.

To me I go in this order. The first four numbers of reg. 1498, 1506, 1509. I would not even consder the 1509 or 1506 bulls.

Scotty

Scotty":1q5jmxit said:
To me I go in this order. The first four numbers of reg. 1498, 1506, 1509. I would not even consder the 1509 or 1506 bulls.

Scotty
Scotty - I agree with you- TOTALLY! However, I feel you should explain to him why you would not even consider the other two, and why you would recommend the 14982551 bull!

My suggestion would be - Do not consider ANY bull until you know the possible weaknesses (phenotype AND genotype) of the females you are mating to the bull. And the 14982551 bull is only13 mos. old, therefore his accuracy is Interim. (The other bulls are also Interim, but they are absolutely not acceptable, because there is not enough information on them yet) There are too many VERY good Angus bulls available now than for you to play "Pin the Tail on the Donkey!" Do some real research before you make a decision. Look at the bull's Dam! Are the calves going to be Terminal or Replacements? What traits are available are not bad - but there is not enough of them for a definitive conclusion if they are for replacements. But it's close!

DOC HARRIS

Not finding any older bulls around here. Most of the calves will go right to the sale barn at weaning. Would like to a easy calving bullwith some decent growth. Would like to keep him a few years then retain some replacements out of him and change bulls.

Here is another bull that I have seen that I thought about going back to look at.

Care to offer thoughts on him. He looked pretty good but the guy had them on test and is awaiting his results before selling any.

Thanks

tom4018":3lv2q8qw said:
Here is another bull that I have seen that I thought about going back to look at.

Care to offer thoughts on him. He looked pretty good but the guy had them on test and is awaiting his results before selling any.

Thanks

Take a close look at his dams BW EPD. And her sire .

[/quote]

Take a close look at his dams BW EPD. And her sire .[/quote]
Those are rather large, thanks for the input.

Take a close look at his dams BW EPD. And her sire .[/quote]
Those are rather large, thanks for the input.[/quote]The study and understanding of EPD's is a necessary exercise in order to know what you are seeking and doing - and, to feel secure in your final decisions! As a lot of breeders have said before on these posts, EPD's are NOT the entire answer to the selection process of breeding livestock. BUT - they are an important and critical TOOL in the building of a successful beef BUSINESS. Understanding how to use those tools will help determine whether your BUSINESS will survive and thrive - or - through neglect get wrecked! EPD's are nothing more than predictors of what future progeny are expected to perform relative to the progeny of other animals compared. They do not guarantee that the progeny will be or will perform as hoped-for or expected. But, when used with your own selection experience and abilities, they are the best help we have at the moment - until DNA technology is able to enhance the accuracy of EPD's! And DNA is right on top of us at the present time! Also, more and more EPD's will be here very soon - to help the breeder make decisions relating to functional traits, such as sound feet and legs, shoulders, spine, udders, teats, fleshing ability, disposition (some breeds are doing that now -Limousin for example) muscle expression and degree of fatness. The Ultrasound recordings have made enormous strides in helping the decision-making processes improve. But, I will repeat over and over, the Cattleman MUST understand how to use these great tools to be successful. Having a 'Level' won't help you build a house if you don't know how to use it!

CLASS DISMISSED!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts