This might be where I start

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the idea of patience here. Seems like a decent package but not a GREAT package (at $1650 per) and I don't think we're at a price bottom. I think if you don't HAVE to buy something you can wait for GREAT.

angus9259":zkjit0f7 said:
I like the idea of patience here. Seems like a decent package but not a GREAT package (at $1650 per) and I don't think we're at a price bottom. I think if you don't HAVE to buy something you can wait for GREAT.
Maybe the price is high, and maybe prices will keep dropping. What would make it a GREAT package?

HDRider":2e7tfy66 said:
angus9259":2e7tfy66 said:
Maybe the price is high, and maybe prices will keep dropping. What would make it a GREAT package?
For a commercial bred heifer I'd have a hard time paying more than $1500 at today's market. Having said that, if I decided I wanted the heifers I wouldn't let an extra $150 per keep me from buying them..I'm not overly impressed by the pics of these, but they don't look bad just a little thin. If they're bred to the bull that you posted the link to though, forget it. Heifers can break your heart enough on their own even when they're bred to a proven calving ease bull.

There are several guys around that buy and sell on cattle range and Craig's. They are pretty good and knowledgeable they would not stay in business long. I have not personally bought from Ogden's but I seen alot of cattle for sale by them. I have used Adam wall on a couple of good size purchases. Check prices

jcarkie":2npofa2l said:
There are several guys around that buy and sell on cattle range and Craig's. They are pretty good and knowledgeable they would not stay in business long. I have not personally bought from Ogden's but I seen alot of cattle for sale by them. I have used Adam wall on a couple of good size purchases. Check prices
Adam turns a lot of cattle.

Lazy M":36hd04ch said:
HDRider":36hd04ch said:
angus9259":36hd04ch said:
For a commercial bred heifer I'd have a hard time paying more than $1500 at today's market. Having said that, if I decided I wanted the heifers I wouldn't let an extra $150 per keep me from buying them..I'm not overly impressed by the pics of these, but they don't look bad just a little thin. If they're bred to the bull that you posted the link to though, forget it. Heifers can break your heart enough on their own even when they're bred to a proven calving ease bull.
That was one of 4 bulls that covered them. The others look better.

What people ask for cattle and what they get for cattle are two different things. The original craigslist ad you posted has been up for a month so folks have had at least a month to get at these heifers before you and no one has. That to me says they are not a GREAT deal. Doesn't mean it's a bad deal if that's what you want. It just means that you were willing to pay more for those cattle than anyone else who read that ad. A great deal is something you could repost on craigslist and potentially get your money back or make a little. The fact that this ad has been up a month says you won't be likely to do that. HOWEVER, that DOES NOT make it a bad deal FOR YOU if they are what you want.

angus9259":1vz8j35q said:
What people ask for cattle and what they get for cattle are two different things. The original craigslist ad you posted has been up for a month so folks have had at least a month to get at these heifers before you and no one has. That to me says they are not a GREAT deal. Doesn't mean it's a bad deal if that's what you want. It just means that you were willing to pay more for those cattle than anyone else who read that ad. A great deal is something you could repost on craigslist and potentially get your money back or make a little. The fact that this ad has been up a month says you won't be likely to do that. HOWEVER, that DOES NOT make it a bad deal FOR YOU if they are what you want.

I agree 100%. Nothing good sits for a month like that. There is a reason.

Some times they leave the add up even though those have been sold to pawn off some others they may be willing to part with.

I thought this was a good deal especially if you could talk them down a little. Bred to Herf, Char, and Ang.

HD I saw several sets of black bred heifers as good as anybody's on the last superior sell for well under that price. Most were 1300 to 1450. Im sure you could find a group not too far from you to lighten the bill on truckin.

The other thing is if the ad has been up that long and you like the cattle, ask if the price is negotiable. He says yes, go look at the cattle. If you like them make an offer. He says not negotiable...... well there is probably a reason the ad has been running this long.

Oh you know there negotiable and probably look better than pics.
An old man told me once when they priced like they are today you ought to buy cows that are registered. I think getting registered stock adds value for some without adding cost if your prude when buying.

Brute 23":1ew31ylg said:
angus9259":1ew31ylg said:

I agree 100%. Nothing good sits for a month like that. There is a reason.

Some times they leave the add up even though those have been sold to pawn off some others they may be willing to part with.

I thought this was a good deal especially if you could talk them down a little. Bred to Herf, Char, and Ang.

I'd bet those cows are put together, and no set of put together cows is worth within 200 of that at this point. That guy posts a lot of cows with back tag spots on them at different times.
The more breeds of bulls they say they are bred to the better chance they were put together generally.

Kingfisher":1w47i16j said:
Oh you know there negotiable and probably look better than pics.
An old man told me once when they priced like they are today you ought to buy cows that are registered. I think getting registered stock adds value for some without adding cost if your prude when buying.

Registered cattle don't seem to be priced at this level yet - at least what I"m seeing.

HD, If I was to add anything to what others have mentioned, and it may have been mentioned, is that try to make sure they are not a put together deal and that they will function where you are. I am assuming fescue like me here. I think that is very important, if not paramount to any kind of longevity. You will find you some cattle, try not to be in too big of a hurry. I know that's what I was told when I was getting in, but you have an advantage I didn't. Calf prices are down now, and maybe going lower? I was looking during the high, or close to it, and found some bred cows, good looking kind of cows, for 1800. Heifers were 2400 plus at that time for show me select quality angus heifers, for a reference. You should be able to find some good heifers for 1800 bred to easy calving bulls. I'm going to start another thread on the easy calving bull thing, you may find it interesting.

Latest posts