Might be spring one day.

Help Support CattleToday:

-29 C here this morning. (-20 F). Keeps the mosquitoes at bay I suppose. But I am a bit jealous of all you with green grass already.
-18 C here this morning, more snow coming. Getting really tired of winter by now. Suppose it's going to last another month with the snow. =(

Hope I'm not jumping the gun . Planted 1 row red potatoes and set out 6 cabbage 🥬 and 6 broccoli 🥦 plants . .

I won't complain about our long cold winters because we rarely hit 90 degrees in the summer. And even in our "worst drought in history" 2 summers ago we still made a 60% hay crop and I grazed cows from May thru November (no $200 bales of hay, no herd dispersal, etc). Harsh winters are a trade-off to living someplace with a moist/temperate summer.

I won't complain about our long cold winters because we rarely hit 90 degrees in the summer. And even in our "worst drought in history" 2 summers ago we still made a 60% hay crop and I grazed cows from May thru November (no $200 bales of hay, no herd dispersal, etc). Harsh winters are a trade-off to living someplace with a moist/temperate summer.
We have long hot 🥵 summers, very few wet ones.
One of my ranches grows good grass in the summer, even during last year's drought.
2' of sandy loam on top of a red clay pan, it holds moisture really good.

I had a good friend from Michigan, he lived on lake intermediate, near Bellaire, we became best friends just by chance, he would come down every year and deer hunt with me, he loved deer hunting.
I lost my good buddy 4 years ago this spring, I think about him all the time.
He said he would see more deer in one morning's hunt than he would see all year in Michigan.
He was good as can be and would do anything to help me as I would him.

I concur.

Should do good. The 10 day forecast here looks like an average somewhere around 70F and 2-3 days good chance of rain. Lowest night temp I remember said mid 40s a couple of nights. Yesterday tho, was kinda yucky, heavy air and too overcast

We rarely go to town in the evening. Even rarer to go to a movie. But there was a movie playing we wanted to see. So we went. It was around 32 and nice out when we left just before dark. When we walked out of the theater after the show there was an inch and a half of new snow and snowing like a banshee. The 30 mile drive home was interesting. The road was fine but snowing hard enough to make visibility real bad.

Every time I get to thinking that spring is just about here Old Man Winter shows me that I am wrong. It was 18 degrees with about 2 or 3 inches of new snow this morning. One new calf this morning, one new one yesterday afternoon, and another born around 3:00 this afternoon. The weather does seem to bother them at all. It certainly doesn't bother my dogs.

View attachment 27085
The old rule of thumb here is corral calving works well with temps above + 20 F, so you don't need to worry about chilled calves. Wet weather is usually more of a problem.

A traditional calving start here is late March to April 1, and then hope for a dry spring... Is it different in the west?