this cow has got to go

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
I'm not impressed with this cow. This is the second year she has been stupid. Now this fall she is heading to the packers.

She gets a little violent when calving. This in it's self would send her to the packers, but with eliminating health and age problem cows, she got put on the back burner for shipping.
You know she is bad when the husband says let hercalf on her own. If it's dead ship her. Or he gets so mad, has to be talked out of going home and getting the gun. AND my husband is a very gentle animal loving kinda guy.

She charged me, claimed a calf that was not hers, attacked said momma, and when we finally got her locked in the maternity pen, would not lay down and calf. The liquid coming out was yellow. So I asked hubbby to help me lock her in the head gate and see the problem. "no way, if she calves a dead on so be it".
I on the other hand did not want a dead calf. So I got her head gated and panneled in the pen and proceeded to glove up and check. The lousy @#$%^%$@@ almost got her head out of the gate, works for the other animals, dumb nut cow!
So now i have to pull the calf with the back gate closed so that if she gets her head out, i won't get trampled with my arm up her back side...did I mention "dumb cow"
In side the cow was okay, the calf was ok the dumb cow just did not want to push. In all honest it felt like she had no birth canal, just a big pit, and then the opening to the world. Once i got things going, I called for my husband to help. The look from him was "why did you go and do that, I was looking for an excuse to do some damage....22 ring a bell?" But he helped thankfully.

Well the calf is alive, for how long we are not sure. The calf entered another cows pen for some unknown reason, I'm not going near the cow to make sure the calf sucks, although it looked like he got hold of the teat.

Before some one mentions it, the head gate works for all our animals, even the slim lined faces. This one was just so nuts, I truely thought she could get her head out. Husband was right though. She could not. He had the guts to open the back gate when he pulled the calf.
We also cull our nut cows, we gave her another chance just incase she had a change of attitude. Well now she is at the top of the list.

Got one like that too.
She calved a couple of weeks ago, just went nuts. Tried to take my husband when he went to get her in. Waited a few hours to let her calm down. Left her alone with the calf in the barn.
Went to check and she tried to take him again. He loaded up his .357 with 2 rounds of bird shot and one killing round. We both went down to tag the calf and kick her out. He opened the backdoor on the barn and stood behind it as she went out and he dashed into the barn slamming the door shut behind him. She went out into the back pen. Luckily we had opened the gate to the pen before we let her out.
He got the calf tagged and done while I kept an eye on the cow. As soon as she went back out the gate I started yelling, "She's out of the pen!"
Never knew he could push a calf out of the barn so fast and slammed the door shut behind it.
She is on the ship list for this fall.

id give that knotthead a few days to recup from calving.an then send her an the calf to the sale.splitt them off.an cut her head off.

as much as i would like to send her down the road, we would get better if she grasses with her calf. Once she is out of the barn today, we will not have to worry about her till fall. It cost us $350 in feed and vaccinations this year, need to make it back some how.
But, I have a feeling hubby will be taking the gun today seens how we have to tag the calf today...much like how ILH had to do
RR

Why put up with cows like this, there are too many good animals to even think of keeping these around. $350 doesn't even start to cover medical bills, it doesn't even go very far to rebuliding the pens that get destroyed when they really get out of hand. Sell the cranky ones and put that money to good gentle replacements, I believe your will find yourself farther ahead physically and financially in the long run.

Normally we cull these ones right away. She is now out of the barn and away from us so no problem until next year. Come October she is out of here.
But like i said we normally cull for tempermant. She just got put on the try again list incase last year was a fluke.

RR

I see all sides of the arguements. You have to make a decision to either tolerate it or not.

I don't mind a momma being a little protective of a calf, but they should allow me to tag and band if necassary without killing me. I had two mommas last year that would come after you if you stepped in the same 100' x 100' lot. You may have eaten them at Burger King. 8)

What did it for me, is this. I am 27, but I have a son who loves the cows and he is 3 1/2. I don't want these attitudes around when he is old enough to be involved. I retain all of my own heifers, so I can pick and choose for temperment.

We got one nasty tempered cow that hates women. No kidding. She doesn't like me, but does fine with my husband. Thank goodness she is 10 next year and I can load her on the trailer. Got another one that has an attitude problem. She tosses her head into the air and she stirs up the rest of the herd, she is going this fall too.

I agree bandit you can't have them around your kids. Had one cow a couple years ago just go nuts. Never had a problem with her before. My son came into the barn with me to see the new calf, cow saw him and chased him out of the barn. I was chasing her with the business end of a pitchfork. She went down the road. He was 9.

I agree with both bandit and luv herfrds I'm just on the other end, I'm 34 but my parents come by some (mostly durng calving)and like the animals, they are 72 and 77 and don't need to be chased anywhere.

Glad to hear you are both alive. It's hard when you live in a cold climate, sometimes they need help even if mom and baby are both doing everything right. When you're tired and cold it gets too easy to do something stupid like take chances you shouldn't take. I remember once we had a calf, don't even remember what was wrong with it but had to get it into the truck. The cow and calf were out in the field. Couldn't get out of the back of the truck or she'd kill. So I managed to get ropes around the legs and was pulling the calf into the back of the truck. Mom had turned off the truck, why I don't know. Finally got the calf in and the cow was coming too. I'm yelling at Mom to go and you guessed it the truck wouldn't start. So I dive in through the back window into the cab and I am still holding the ropes for the calf. The cow is pretty much in the back of the truck and we are kind of stuck. Sent Mom out to climb into the back (well, more like the roof) still trying to hold the calf while distracting the cow. I took off running for the house to bring back the other truck. Ended up saving the calf and the cow left that fall.
I prefer the two I tagged today. Walked up scratched baby awhile, cow chewed her cud, gave tag. Not as exciting of a story but far safer. :lol:

Yup. This fall she should get to meet Buddy Bergner(auctioneer at the local sales barn). Cold weather calving like we do up here means a high likelihood of having to handle the cow and calf. No tolerance for a proven troublemaker.
John

we just marked another cow for Buddy. This one treated me to a hoof on my butt, a head in my back and a snow bank with her fallen on top of me. Thank God for the foot of snow i had to cushion me. If it had been dry ground, i
'm thinking the husband would be planning my funeral about now. Cause she would not have fallen and would have worked me over pretty good. When we got the calf out of the snow bank and in the barn area tagged and bagged, we let the cow in. Not before i gave her a lesson on four wheels. One she will not forget. Needless to say my husband said to her enjoy your last six months on this earth. It's hamburger helper for you.
I'm a little black and blue let me refrain, alot black and blue, and considering going to the doc's to get my spine xrayed for factures.
I know i am prepared to meet my Maker at anytime but this really puts things into prespective.

Gosh as cold as it gets up there you guys need a little something to keep you warmed up. You no what they say you just gotta cowboy up. I only got one real idiot come fall she's gone. You got the worse of over just as well raise the calf. then sell the idiot.

We USED to have a cow like what everyone has described, I knew nothing would ever get her calf - and she stayed around because she raised the biggest one every year. She was smart enough to know that if you had a paddle or sorting stick to stay just at the end of it's range. But lookout if she got closer than that, you would be testing gravity, her last calving season with us she calved during one of those lovely winter storms where it was 20 below with a wind chill that dropped it to roughly 30 - 40 below. We had to lock her up to calve to make sure the calf wouldn't freeze as it was being born. My husband used her head as a "help" over the 6' corral fence several times and swore he was done dealing with her. The funniest thing she would do was anytime she was in the squeeze chute was to try to bite anyone who got close - she knew that she couldn't get you any other way.

I'm not quite 70, but I won't put up with a cow like that anymore either. My Brahmans are strictly culled for disposition.. it seems like they are either very docile, or stupid and mean. There isn't a cow in the herd that I can't go out to in the pasture and help calve or put a calf on to nurse. Life is too short.. for me anyway. Like someone mentioned previously.. there are too many good ones to put up with one like that.

Latest posts