Thinking outside the box

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes and no. Sustain III Cattle boluses are available but the calf boluses are still unavailable/indefinitely back-ordered. I've been using Albon. The Albon is the same size as the Sustain Calf bolus but 1 per 200 lbs., reducing the dosage by half for up to 4 days. Sustain Calf boluses are 1 per 50 lbs. but effective for 3 days. I don't know about you but in my world, 9 times out of 10 a sick calf is never conveniently near one of the chutes so I have to rope it, take it down, switch to a halter & attempt to keep it down. I've had newborns that outweigh me so it's no easy task and I'd much rather shove multiple boluses down once than do a little WWF up to 4 days - not to mention the trauma on the calf. I still can't get an answer why the Sustain was pulled in the first place or if it will ever come back on the market.

Just a little update. Sold my calves Wednesday & baby boy clocked in at 781 lbs. (and got 1.48 per). Pretty pleased, considering I thought he was a goner. I did my part but credit goes to his awesome mama & his will to not only live but thrive!

Latest posts