Thinking about a new tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":1cmyxh7h said:
pricefarm":1cmyxh7h said:
callmefence":1cmyxh7h said:
Be careful about just using horsepower as well. JD for example uses the the same Tractor for (I could be off) everything from 40 to 75 horse. Same wieght, same loader same lift capacity.
Just more horsepower. So look and compare specs carefully. 4wheel drive makes a tractor a little bit bigger.
I got by for years with a forty horse for my loader tractor. Unloading big round and loads of pipe was a controlled crash for the most part. My 5085 is a beast for 85 horses. In 4x4 it has enough power to tear itself up. For what that's worth.lol
Neighbor has a Kubota 7060 and it's been a pretty good tractor and has done it's share of work in the brush. If I went after a midsize right now it would be the one I got the most bang for my buck.

Is yours a E OR M series's? I have been looking at one that size. Thinking of selling my 6610 Ford and 5303 John Deere and replacing it with one that will do the job of both of those tractors.

5085e.

I sold a 39 horse Massey, jd4020 and jd2640. Replaced them with the 5085 and 318 skid steer. Very happy with the tractor , didn't spend enough on the skid steer. It's a bit of a disappointment

whats wrong with the 318? not enough power?

I love my Kubota. Grand L 3940. 40 hp with ballast in rear wheels. Moves round bales just fine. My next tractor, if there is one, will be another Kubota but with more hp and a cab with air/heat. More hp just because bigger is always better, right?

ddd75":cpgcm1xz said:
callmefence":cpgcm1xz said:
pricefarm":cpgcm1xz said:

Is yours a E OR M series's? I have been looking at one that size. Thinking of selling my 6610 Ford and 5303 John Deere and replacing it with one that will do the job of both of those tractors.

5085e.

I sold a 39 horse Massey, jd4020 and jd2640. Replaced them with the 5085 and 318 skid steer. Very happy with the tractor , didn't spend enough on the skid steer. It's a bit of a disappointment

Seems a little weak for 65 horsepower.
Especially if compared to my last skid steer. A 40 horse new Holland. Not so much engine power it seems to lack. But roll back and break out force seem a little weak. It doesn't lug the engine. More like the hydraulic power is regulated to much. Only got 60 hours on it. So still get used to it. But I'm thinking I should of went a little bigger.

callmefence":31utivgk said:
ddd75":31utivgk said:
callmefence":31utivgk said:
5085e.

Seems a little weak for 65 horsepower.
Especially if compared to my last skid steer. A 40 horse new Holland. Not so much engine power it seems to lack. But roll back and break out force seem a little weak. It doesn't lug the engine. More like the hydraulic power is regulated to much. Only got 60 hours on it. So still get used to it. But I'm thinking I should of went a little bigger.

I went from an older 85hp Case tire skid to a new Kubota 75hp track skid and feel the same way. The Kubota is really nice but the Case feels like it has way more power. I think it's all in the hydraulic set up. Definitely wouldn't want anything smaller than 75hp.

I run Cummins engines in my newest tractors, 24 and 65 hp. Low on the electronics and fancy Tier IV complexity to run the engines. Nice simple, proven design. Mainframes are Branson out of S. Korea. Check them out.

Recently bought a '88 Ford 3910 with 900 hours, my last purchase. Real simple Ford 3 cyl rugged diesel. Small frame with the assets of a larger framed )4xxx series tractors. Ford has been good to me over the years. Had numerous, still have 3.

NonTypicalCPA":i75z7dzc said:
I love my Kubota. Grand L 3940. 40 hp with ballast in rear wheels. Moves round bales just fine. My next tractor, if there is one, will be another Kubota but with more hp and a cab with air/heat. More hp just because bigger is always better, right?

I'm in the market for a new tractor as well (spring purchase) and everyone around here has recommended a Kubota. I went to the local dealer and told them exactly what I'm using it for and they recommended an MX5200. They said most small cattlemen like myself have been happy with that model. 52HP, hydrostat, 4wd, with loader, open station, spear and backhoe attachment. 0% for 84 mos with insurance during the finance period ($500 deductible). Hard to beat that!

those 5200's are pretty small. small front tires.

what are they around 33k new?

JD equipment has BRAND NEW JD 5065 w/ loader, 4x4... for 31,995... WOW>.

I'm about to go trade mine in and get a new one its a such a great deal.. thats a 40k a tractor.. that would RUN OVER a 5200..

i'd check it out and jump on it if I were you!

ddd75":9rs3s4d8 said:

I'm about to go trade mine in and get a new one its a such a great deal.. thats a 40k a tractor.. that would RUN OVER a 5200..

I saw on Deere's website they only off 0% for 60 months. More payment than I would like. If JD Equipment around here will sell me one for that price I will buy you a steak dinner......my steak of course :lol:

BigBear":dowyqdh5 said:
ddd75":dowyqdh5 said:

I saw on Deere's website they only off 0% for 60 months. More payment than I would like. If JD Equipment around here will sell me one for that price I will buy you a steak dinner......my steak of course :lol:
i am talking about the JD equipment dealers in ohio.

ddd75":c6a0tkcy said:
BigBear":c6a0tkcy said:
ddd75":c6a0tkcy said:

We will see what kind of fantastic deals they have next week at farm science review. But a little more money and 2 years less financing is not enough for me to "go green". If my grandpa heard me say that he would shoot me!

Hook2.0":3phxggak said:
Found a 07 Kubota l5030 with around 800 hours for 25k. Seems a little high. I won't have time to look at it for at least 2 weeks though

I will tell you this I bought a new Kubota was 36hp it spent most of the time in the dealers shop and on my trailer than usage. The stupid epa crap was messing up badly I opted for a small hp that doesn't have that crap. The benefits of the new tractor are good 0% interest also the insurance. Tough spot but for me anything 45-100hp I'd rather have a nice clean older tractor before EPA ruined them

Friend has a Kubota 9540. MFWD. Cab. No loader. 2xxx hours. Not sure of the exact year model but I think around 2008-2012. Can buy it for $21k. Sounds like a pretty fair price. Don't really need it but I'm thinking about it anyway. Anybody got one?

BigBear":2yr1wtop said:
ddd75":2yr1wtop said:
BigBear":2yr1wtop said:

We will see what kind of fantastic deals they have next week at farm science review. But a little more money and 2 years less financing is not enough for me to "go green". If my grandpa heard me say that he would shoot me!

sounds good.

JMJ Farms":1meflf4s said:
Friend has a Kubota 9540. MFWD. Cab. No loader. 2xxx hours. Not sure of the exact year model but I think around 2008-2012. Can buy it for $21k. Sounds like a pretty fair price. Don't really need it but I'm thinking about it anyway. Anybody got one?

For 21k I would like to have it. I think that's a good price.

JMJ Farms":11mviz4c said:

I have an 8540 (about 10 horse under the 9540) 300 hours, 4wd, cab and loader. I took the loader off as soon as I got it and never put it back on. Now I use it for spraying and hauling a bale wagon. Used to bale with it until I replaced it with a Kubota 105X. The 105 is twice the tractor of the 8540. Worst thing about the 8540 is it is a rough riding little tractor.

Latest posts