They remember me!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Sold 6 of our fall calves to one of our neighbors last March. They're currently out of town so I'm taking care of their animals, etc. Even though the calves we sold now have new ear tags I recognized them immediately (out of 24) and they absolutely remembered me, came right up as soon as I called their names (yes, I name them, don't judge). I know a lot of people think cattle are essentially stupid and have no distinct personality but I firmly challenge that notion.

it's nice to be remembered.
If you get to know them, they absolutely have distinct personalities (for better or for worse)

Nesikep":3gobfqls said:
it's nice to be remembered.
If you get to know them, they absolutely have distinct personalities (for better or for worse)

We used to have a cow named Satan. Still have one of her heifers that fortunately doesn't seem to possess the evil gene.

One of my best cows loves me.. I can do whatever I want with her.. but she LOATHES other people, even if she's seen them lots.. she just indignantly walks away.. She's also the one that has on numerous occasions showed me where she had ONE LOUSE on her neck so I'd pick it off (and you thought that leather was thick?)

I've seen a good portion of this country, and the Flint Hills region is by far my favorite. Every time I see pictures from there I feel homesick, and I live 20 mins from where I was born.

Your pretty easy on the eyes, I'd probably come if you called my name too. :lol:

I spend a lot of time with mine too, they know me well.

cfpinz":1sshrhcq said:
I've seen a good portion of this country, and the Flint Hills region is by far my favorite. Every time I see pictures from there I feel homesick, and I live 20 mins from where I was born.

The next time you make it back (maybe to Post Rock), swing by Winfield :)

Ol' 243":3t1daucm said:
Your pretty easy on the eyes, I'd probably come if you called my name too. :lol:

I spend a lot of time with mine too, they know me well.

Well thank you!

I wanted to keep that heifer in the worst way but as big as she is, her pelvic measurement was only 115.5 and a potential hard pull, dead calf or c-section was too much to risk.

A good cowman always places his/her cattle first but giving them all names when you yourself go by ol' number 75 is a bit extreme. :D

TCRanch":1h9xlzxr said:
cfpinz":1h9xlzxr said:

The next time you make it back (maybe to Post Rock), swing by Winfield :)

Thank you, I appreciate the hospitality.

Latest posts