I remember them.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
honor.jpg

Ate chow with some of them that morning, Feb 18, 1971. They flew off into Laos on one bird, I was on another. They got hit I think at LZ Lolo in Laos, made it back into S. Vietnam, landed in an open spot, inspected the aircraft, didn't find any major problem, and decided to continue on to base at Marble Mtn. Rotor head came apart just south of Khe Sahn and crashed. Allan McElfresh and I shared the same hooch along with 7 other Marines. It was hard packing up his personal belongs to send back to next of kin.

Sgt McNeil died the previous fall during rescue ops in a big flood. I have his picture mislabeled. He was crew cheif. In miserable flying weather, the helo's tail rotor impacted a mostly submerged bunker at a ROK fire base and the aircraft rolled on it's side and Bruce and one passenger drowned.

53flood.jpg

Last edited:
Has to still be hard to remember.

Thankful for them and all the others who made those sacrifices. Made life easy for those of us who are younger.

I went to a local HS graduation last Friday. It was a small class of 54 senoirs. Maybe it's the war in Ukraine or I'm getting older but it was hard to imagine those young men getting drafted and sent off. If I remember right 2 young ladys and 1 young man had signed up for the Army. Thanks for your service GB and thanks for posting.

Thank you sir for sharing and for your service. I hope that most across this country can put differences aside on days such as today and honor their sacrifice. I read an article this morning about the American Battle Monuments Commission. First time I'd heard of it, they are tasked with maintaining the cemeteries of 200,000 men and women KIA or MIA overseas. It was quite moving reading about the care and reverence with which the man tasked with leading the commission speaks.

View attachment 17328

Ate chow with some of them that morning, Feb 18, 1971. They flew off into Laos on one bird, I was on another. They got hit I think at LZ Lolo in Laos, made it back into S. Vietnam, landed in an open spot, inspected the aircraft, didn't find any major problem, and decided to continue on to base at Marble Mtn. Rotor head came apart just south of Khe Sahn and crashed. Allan McElfresh and I shared the same hooch along with 7 other Marines. It was hard packing up his personal belongs to send back to next of kin.

Sgt McNeil died the previous fall during rescue ops in a big flood. I have his picture mislabeled. He was crew cheif. In miserable flying weather, the helo's tail rotor impacted a mostly submerged bunker at a ROK fire base and the aircraft rolled on it's side and Bruce and one passenger drowned.

View attachment 17331
GB, thank you for your service.

Thank you for your service GB!

I have a client that will not ever sign a consent for anyone to get his SS and military records because he was in places that the US publically says we were never in.