The truth about farming....

Help Support CattleToday:

His philosophy is depressing in my opinion. I do not look at my operation like he does.

I often find myself looking for an excuse to do something else. Cattle restricts what I can do. I would like to make a couple more trips to Africa, not to hunt again. I got that out of my system. I enjoy the culture and nature of life there.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not miss Denver. The problem I have is the opposite of this man's. I like my cows and farm. I wish it was not so restrictive. But I find my cows as a huge source of pleasure. I don't even think about them dying. Every life form is finite. It does not take raising cattle to realize that! Just wait until you are older and you see three fourths of your family and friends gone. All the people who were part of your life. People who educated you, doctored you, who you worked with. Gone! Such is life.

Bright Raven":321f3qma said:
His philosophy is depressing in my opinion. I do not look at my operation like he does.

I often find myself looking for an excuse to do something else. Cattle restricts what I can do. I would like to make a couple more trips to Africa, not to hunt again. I got that out of my system. I enjoy the culture and nature of life there.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not miss Denver. The problem I have is the opposite of this man's. I like my cows and farm. I wish it was not so restrictive. But I find my cows as a huge source of pleasure. I don't even think about them dying. Every life form is finite. It does not take raising cattle to realize that! Just wait until you are older and you see three fourths of your family and friends gone. All the people who were part of your life. People who educated you, doctored you, who you worked with. Gone! Such is life.

I would expect no less of you to disagree with something you know nothing about.

M-5":3toxz4v3 said:
Bright Raven":3toxz4v3 said:

I would expect no less of you to disagree with something you know nothing about.

I appreciate that you read my comment. That is exercising one of the two primary functions of a forum like this.
1. To post information.
2. To read and consider information.

Thanks.

Not so much how we feel,, but it's 100 percent correct...but it's just one side of it,are everybody would be doing it...I love it,and try not to concentrate or dwell on it.....

This struck me; "When people ask me about it I don't glow with appreciation for how great it is. For me, it's really rather brutal physically and psychologically. This is especially true when you have to euthanize an animal you couldn't save or you watch a calf takes it's last breath when it's only a couple days old."

I have been at this almost a year now. My numbers are lower than I expected, mostly because the challenge is much bigger than I expected, and I am much older than I realized sitting behind a desk, and dreaming about this life I have now.

I still love it, but sometimes I think I am about to drown.

My hat is off to ya'll that do this well. It is no small feat. You have a right to be proud. :cowboy:

HDRider":aizkgo6k said:
This struck me; "When people ask me about it I don't glow with appreciation for how great it is. For me, it's really rather brutal physically and psychologically. This is especially true when you have to euthanize an animal you couldn't save or you watch a calf takes it's last breath when it's only a couple days old."

I have been at this almost a year now. My numbers are lower than I expected, mostly because the challenge is much bigger than I expected, and I am much older than I realized sitting behind a desk, and dreaming about this life I have now.

I still love it, but sometimes I think I am about to drown.

My hat is off to ya'll that do this well. It is no small feat. You have a right to be proud. :cowboy:
Ryder, age changes a lot of things for most of us. I would love to do more but am simply not physically able any longer. I still love the lifestyle but have learned not to lose sleep over things nor let it simply ruin even one day for me. As the old boy said "I got many more birthdays ahead of me than behind me" so am just going to enjoy each day to the fullest, do the best I can with what I have and continue to give thanks every morning and every night (not to mention many times in between). Life is still good !!!!!

I enjoyed the read as well.

I think he is getting a little too personal with it, and if he thinks as the article points out, I can see how it's a problem for him. The only way to not have some die, is to not have them. No other way. Now, that doesn't make losing an animal any easier, but you just have to try the best you can, learn from it, and move on - or get out. Before you can fail, you have to try. Really try, not lip service "I'm trying", but really lay it out there. Example, checking heifers every four hours is not something I enjoy. It's something I think I owe to the heifers, or there is no sense having them. It's my responsibility to the cattle. If I am satisfied that I have put forth the effort and done all I could, I'll still feel bad about it, but I won't consider myself a failure. I think he is getting into a serious depression type area there with the personal negativity. Guys gotta be careful there.

talltimber":20x2x6lu said:
I enjoyed the read as well.

I think he is getting a little too personal with it, and if he thinks as the article points out, I can see how it's a problem for him. The only way to not have some die, is to not have them. No other way. Now, that doesn't make losing an animal any easier, but you just have to try the best you can, learn from it, and move on - or get out. Before you can fail, you have to try. Really try, not lip service "I'm trying", but really lay it out there. Example, checking heifers every four hours is not something I enjoy. It's something I think I owe to the heifers, or there is no sense having them. It's my responsibility to the cattle. If I am satisfied that I have put forth the effort and done all I could, I'll still feel bad about it, but I won't consider myself a failure. I think he is getting into a serious depression type area there with the personal negativity. Guys gotta be careful there.

That was my impression. He is focusing on the negative characteristics of the vocation instead of the positive. Dangerous ground.

I have to say that although I can relate to some of it, I also felt that it was too negative. I know I am not God, that I can't fix or do everything, and that I might do everything right and that things still can and will go wrong. I don't consider myself a failure when I fail at something, I try to learn and hope that the next time my best is good enough to make it work. But , I am not the only part of the equation, and if you are dealing with anything that is living and breathing, then death is a part of it. Hope and pray and try to make sure it is as small a part as possible, but if there is birth, there is death. There are days that I think everyone of us has said for a minute, Why in the #@$#@ am I doing this, but it passes pretty quickly and we keep on keeping on because we get something back from it that a piece of machinery just can't give us, and we can see that we have a place in it all.
You do the best you can, accept that you cannot do it all, be right or perfect all the time, and most of us ask for a little help and hope that we are given that boost by someone who realizes that we are really trying to do what is right and we are really trying the best that we can. We all know we are not perfect, or should recognize that we aren't, but no one ever asked for more than our real true honest best . The " So God Made a Farmer" piece is so true....

Latest posts