The ONLY Mineral Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
This one is 15 years old. Will hold 1000 lbs of loose mineral, can use it for Safeguard wormer blocks, a small fence around it with a creep gate works good for calves. Good for feeding a "Hot" mix. The options are endless. Thay can also be loaded in the back of of pickup by two strong backs.

mineralfeeder.jpg

novatech":3vursord said:
You are obviously not a supporter of TSC.
:D :D
I like it.

I think I have owned every kind of mineral feeder known to man.

From the hanging plastic barrels to the weathervane style to the tubs with flaps.

These work.

My bulls would have that thing upside down in the pond the first day. Unless It is tied down somehow??

alabama":1oty1lx8 said:
My bulls would have that thing upside down in the pond the first day. Unless It is tied down somehow??

NO WAY,,,,not those sweet bulls of yours,,,,don't you name all those big babies. :lol: :lol:

My bull likes to test the ropes on the hanging barrels, he thinks they are his swinging toys to play with.

alabama":32qo83ml said:

Not much trouble with that either. I had one bull to turn one over occasionally.

I drove a piece of angle iron in ground on opposing corners and tied it down with a piece wire. Took 5 minutes.

Forgot to mention that you can hang dust bags/oil bags from them for flies too.

I like that feeder. We would have to anchor it out here or it would end up in North Dakota at my cousins place.
With the wind around here it would blow the loose mineral out, so blocks would be better.
Will definately consider building a couple.
How deep is it on the inside?

I luv herfrds":2bc46ip3 said:
I like that feeder. We would have to anchor it out here or it would end up in North Dakota at my cousins place.
With the wind around here it would blow the loose mineral out, so blocks would be better.
Will definately consider building a couple.
How deep is it on the inside?

It is as deep as the width of 2-2X6's.

Be sure and cover the bottom of the floor of the trough with something tough that doesn't hold water.

The guy that makes these uses a real strong nylon type cloth that is used in papermills.

Cover the floor before putting the sides on it so it can't be removed.

Never seen the wind move them. You could tie it to a tree if you had one. A tree, that is. :lol:

do you have a plan and material list so i can build one?? does anyone know where to find a plan and material list??

jcarkie":1a166aik said:
do you have a plan and material list so i can build one?? does anyone know where to find a plan and material list??

I don't have plans but I can get you some detailed pictures and measurements.

The guy I get them from sells them cheaper than I can build them. I bought 15 of them a few years back for $150 each.
I think they have gone up a little by now.

About the Feeder tipping over..

Make the bottom large enough so the cattle step into a square ... The best feeders out there that i have used are the home made ones... I had a neighbor built it with the a metal framed bottom that the bulls stepped into...

This is what happens.. the bulls start to tip the feeder and the ring they stepped into comes up and gets behind their front legs and they stop pushing because something is up under their belly ...

It works.... :idea:

I luv herfrds":22f9489x said:
IHow deep is it on the inside?

My Dad built a couple that are similar - his has a plastic barrel cut in half lengthwise and that is what holds the mineral - ours are 3 barrels end to end - and ours are chained to 6" posts -

Mike this summer we had two different wind storms that moved a 10'x16' chicken house. The first one moved it 2' back, the next one moved it 90 degrees.
It gets a little breezey out here. That last wind gust was recorded at 74mph.
That is why I am asking about depth and size.

Mike:

What is the pitch of that roof and do you know what snow load it would be ratedt to handle?

Tom

tlmcr":dxl2a407 said:
Mike:

What is the pitch of that roof and do you know what snow load it would be ratedt to handle?

Tom

I really have no idea on the snow load. It hasn't snowed down here in a few years. :lol:

The roof is pretty flat though. Prolly only a couple of inches drop in about 4 feet. Just enough to move the water off and not too much that it can't be bent at the apex when screwing down to the joists.

In other words, there are two pieces of roofing metal that reach from one side edge to the other without a ridge cap.

Latest posts