The Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

david922

Reaction score
The heat in South Georgia is awful ,upper 90`s every day.cows are not very fat now.They look bad.They have plenty of grass,and water,feed pellets once a week.don`t no what to . :cry2: :cry2:

31 consecutive days of 100+ here and looking at temps around 105 for the rest of the week. I still have a hint of green left in some of the grass and I'm keeping liquid feed out, plus feeding 14% creep daily, so cows are doing okay so far.

Been miserable around here. Haven't had any significant amount of rain since early May and that one rain has been about all we have had all year. We are about 10" behind for the year on rainfall. Temperatures are going to be at or above 105 all week long and we have had 32 straight days of 100+ with over 40 total days so far this year.

cows are OK, but the heat is definantly wearing, even on me! I have hay out for mine and feed them daily with 14% creep and cubes. one side of my pasture is still green due to irrigation and I see them out on that side alot.

temps suppossed to top 110 degrees this week, with some places higher :shock:

So I saw on last night's weather. As for me...I'm gonna watch it thru the window and pray the elect. does't go off.

heck yeah TXBred..with this heat coming on..I fear rolling blackouts, like we had during the really cold snap in February.

spinandslide":itspqqj7 said:
heck yeah TXBred..with this heat coming on..I fear rolling blackouts, like we had during the really cold snap in February.

Thats not a problem as long as the diesel tank stays full, just kick the diesel generator on. Burns 9 to 10 gallons a day but worth every penny when a hurricane rolls through.

ALACOWMAN":1ixbooy3 said:
better watch those grains ,, id rather have one lose a little condition, and be able to cool ...as to lose her altogether http://www.southernstates.com/sscinfo/n ... tress.aspx

I was thinking the same thing thats a lot of protien to be feeding cows in the heat. They are raising body temp with high protien feed, I am not surprised that some are losing body condition they are burning up inside and out.

Dixieangus":22nsfkrc said:
saw where a sale barn had sprayed the cattle with sprinklers and the buyers reported alot of sicks
Unless you really soak them with water all you're doing is creating another barrier to hold in heat. Either way, if you can't provide some moving air with fans, etc. probably best to not wet them at all especially if they're put into a crowded pen.

Caustic Burno":3c9zopj0 said:
ALACOWMAN":3c9zopj0 said:
better watch those grains ,, id rather have one lose a little condition, and be able to cool ...as to lose her altogether http://www.southernstates.com/sscinfo/n ... tress.aspx

I was thinking the same thing thats a lot of protien to be feeding cows in the heat. They are raising body temp with high protien feed, I am not surprised that some are losing body condition they are burning up inside and out.

Exactly. High protein could easily kill one. 87 degrees for an over night low.

TexasBred":1i4mrfl3 said:
Dixieangus":1i4mrfl3 said:
saw where a sale barn had sprayed the cattle with sprinklers and the buyers reported alot of sicks
Unless you really soak them with water all you're doing is creating another barrier to hold in heat. Either way, if you can't provide some moving air with fans, etc. probably best to not wet them at all especially if they're put into a crowded pen.

What I have left are laying in the creek bed under the trees feels like AC there compared to the pasture.

Actually it is fiber (hay, grazing etc)ie.; high NDF that is more associated with the most active rumen fermentation and the most heat of fermentation. Feeding more highly digestible forage, reducing the ratio of forage:concentrate and increasing the protein and energy density will actually reduce heat from rumen fermentation.

Latest posts