The Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Hot diggity dog break our the long underwear predicting high's of only 95 next week :banana:
Huntin season is almost here you can feel the chill in the air.

Caustic Burno":2cyfl43g said:
Hot diggity dog break our the long underwear predicting high's of only 95 next week :banana:
Huntin season is almost here you can feel the chill in the air.
It's 113 here now. Supposed to get down to 103 for a high next week then back up to 110. I'm thinking the desert has to be better than this...... At least you know what to expect. At 95 I may need a jacket.

We have officially broken the "most consecutive days over 100 degrees" record here in Wichita Falls..yeah...:(
Offically 112 yesterday, but my thermometer read 116 when I got home...

Well boys a couple of the computer models have Emily coming into the gulf towards Texas/La. coast.
We need a tropical storm like Claudette that moves ashore with 30 or 40 mph winds and dumps lots of rain.
Not quite as extreme as Claudette no one needs 42 inches in 24 hours .

Caustic Burno":3atvs729 said:
Well boys a couple of the computer models have Emily coming into the gulf towards Texas/La. coast.
We need a tropical storm like Claudette that moves ashore with 30 or 40 mph winds and dumps lots of rain.
Not quite as extreme as Claudette no one needs 42 inches in 24 hours .

Sorry CB but you guys have to get 15-20 so us old pharts out here can get 4 or 5. A good week of rain sure would be enjoyable. A couple inches wouldn't fill up the cracks in the ground.

At 3:15 pm hit 115 deg. F., with 15% RH. No relief in sight. Next 7 to 10 days "forecast" in the 106 to 111 deg daily. At our location, we usually get 2-3 deg. hotter than "official" Childress, TX weather station (30 miles from here).

We've had 100+ deg. days since May 8 every day. Range has been one or two 98 or 99 deg. days but rest have been triple digits. Highest we've had is 117 deg.

Only thing left around here for "wildfires" would be organic debris in the soil. Just kidding; however, it is extremely dry and almost non-existant pastures around here. One report in our area said ranchers have sold around 60% of their herds (sale barns).

In this area, no wheat, no sorgham, sparse cotton, almost no noxious weeds, no grass, even drought tolerant trees are suffering bad. Wild goards & cacti are drying up...

No ground cracking open (good for livestock) since most of "soil" in these parts is sand and some gravelly/clay/sand material.

We start football practice Monday morning ... our head coach cancelled the afternoon practices because it is just too dang hot on those boys. GREAT decision!

I'll tell you what I told my Sunday School class ... PRAY FOR RAIN!

CowboyBlue":bczwa9b0 said:
We start football practice Monday morning ... our head coach cancelled the afternoon practices because it is just too dang hot on those boys. GREAT decision!

I agree. We just had a player die from heat exhaustion in our area. Had another one die last year too. Not knocking the kids today but I don't think they are used to the hot weather like we were when I was a boy. I didn't know what A/C was for many years.

Jogeephus":1jca9umt said:
CowboyBlue":1jca9umt said:

I agree. We just had a player die from heat exhaustion in our area. Had another one die last year too. Not knocking the kids today but I don't think they are used to the hot weather like we were when I was a boy. I didn't know what A/C was for many years.

Our A/C was called an attic fan when I was a kid.

Caustic Burno":dzy124fj said:
Our A/C was called an attic fan when I was a kid.
ours was called a creek and a shade tree
Mom and dad didn't have A/C in the house til about 10 yrs ago and I put it in and told them to use it or I was gonna put a lock box over the thermostat :lol:

I have a good friend that doesn't have A/C to this day he has a very nice older farm house and they have remodeled all of it and they do have central heat but didn't put an a/c unit it
he won't even use it in his vehicles

On the subject o houses and them getting too hot, may be if they built houses properly there would not be so many issues. The traditional Queensland house with a wide veranda all the way around and the kitchen seperate kept the house cool, or the houses built as they are in the middle east.

With most people as lazy, fully dependant on modern life may be we need as my grandparents used to say some hard times again to shake people up to reality!!

1wlimo":24gtv6q7 said:
On the subject o houses and them getting too hot, may be if they built houses properly there would not be so many issues. The traditional Queensland house with a wide veranda all the way around and the kitchen seperate kept the house cool, or the houses built as they are in the middle east.

With most people as lazy, fully dependant on modern life may be we need as my grandparents used to say some hard times again to shake people up to reality!!
You really think that would help anything other than population control? If I wanted a mud hut I'd have moved to the middle east years ago. A friend did build a small house of bales of wheat straw a few years ago. Used wood frame then walls of th bales, then covered it with adobe. His hired hands live in it. Says it stays pretty comfortable.

TexasBred I had not been thinking of polutation at all, just why should I pay for a mordern wood frame house that needs to be replaced every 40 years, needs central heating in winter to keep functional, and A/C in summer and keeps needing my hard earn money?

Then there are those in houses that are better designed, last longer and cost less to run.

Well, the temps in Texas and the "feels like" here in Florida are the same....except What I've seen of Florida is green.....

1982vett":4kymjcie said:
Well, the temps in Texas and the "feels like" here in Florida are the same....except What I've seen of Florida is green.....
Fun aint it?

TexasBred":39ozgy07 said:
1wlimo":39ozgy07 said:

You really think that would help anything other than population control? If I wanted a mud hut I'd have moved to the middle east years ago. A friend did build a small house of bales of wheat straw a few years ago. Used wood frame then walls of th bales, then covered it with adobe. His hired hands live in it. Says it stays pretty comfortable.

The one I built recently has R-30 in the wall's and ceiling, thermal pain windows the highest eer rating A/C unit I could find. When it is 100+ it start's having to work. I can't even begin to imagine what some people are having to pay in electric bills in older homes. Our bill last month was 207 dollars the highest we have ever had thats in a super efficient house.

The wedding I'm catering tonight is in a horse barn. It's 103 and climbing right now. Hope they don't mind me showing up in shorts and a t-shirt.