The farm economy in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":3mjjbdrr said:
ddd75":3mjjbdrr said:
all the row crop producers in my area are buying up land as fast as the auctioneer can yell sold.

Are they actually making money, or just trying to get there with volumne ?

i figured it out and planting 50 acres of beans would net you around 15k+ profit. Thats figuring 200/ac cash rent as well as seed, fertilizer, spraying, etc

JMJ Farms":31lp6ck3 said:
Stocker Steve":31lp6ck3 said:
ddd75":31lp6ck3 said:
all the row crop producers in my area are buying up land as fast as the auctioneer can yell sold.

Making enough to expand, buying land and equipment. A farmer told me once that he was just swapping money. I know commodity prices are low, but farmers expectations are high. Even if they are just servicing debt on land and equipment, that's still making money. Just not as much as they think they should be making. Buying more Land, equipment, pivots, pickups.... I ain't jealous but I don't want to hear much poor mouthing.
Your fixing to see a huge change in that.

ddd75":25egrfpi said:
Stocker Steve":25egrfpi said:
ddd75":25egrfpi said:

i figured it out and planting 50 acres of beans would net you around 15k+ profit. Thats figuring 200/ac cash rent as well as seed, fertilizer, spraying, etc
I think you need to refigure.

Land has not been selling well here, so there is a lot of it being rented out.
Most renters don't know how to pull a fertilizer buggy or a manure spreader, so fertility levels quickly decline.
Once the P levels are below 10 to15 and the K levels are below 80 to 100, yields get to be an issue.
At that point folks start looking for a government program to lease the mined out soil.

Latest posts