The Drug Problem in America

Help Support CattleToday:

Tommy Ruyle

Reaction score
The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young:

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

~author unknown~

lakading":wqoya7g1 said:
So who's responsible for today's kids not having these "drug" problems :?: ;-)

all these so called do gooders, who will report you for child abuse if you do any of these things. Being brought up by a child of the 60's doesn't help either, as some were rebelians of the state. These are the so call Politically correct brigade now. Discipline is needed back in our school's and homes around the world, a parent should be allowed to chastize a child, within reason, and so should a teacher, policeman etc. So good manners and respect can be learnt by children of today to teach the ones of tomorrow. As looking at some of the teenagers of today it is frightening to think how these next generations will turn out. So all you kids that might read this, think on and listen to your parents and grandparents, they do give good advice you may not think so now, but you will when you look back in the future. enough of my ranting but you did ask.

chrisy":1lim71l8 said:
lakading":1lim71l8 said:

all these so called do gooders, who will report you for child abuse if you do any of these things. Being brought up by a child of the 60's doesn't help either, as some were rebelians of the state. These are the so call Politically correct brigade now. Discipline is needed back in our school's and homes around the world, a parent should be allowed to chastize a child, within reason, and so should a teacher, policeman etc. So good manners and respect can be learnt by children of today to teach the ones of tomorrow. As looking at some of the teenagers of today it is frightening to think how these next generations will turn out. So all you kids that might read this, think on and listen to your parents and grandparents, they do give good advice you may not think so now, but you will when you look back in the future. enough of my ranting but you did ask.

Sorry. It was meant to be rhetorical.

IMO it's directly related to parenting or the lack there of. Even if it is easier to blame the punk kids and politically correct do gooders.

I drive a school bus (just for health insurance...the paycheck is pitiful) for the local school district and I see first hand as well as teachers and school administrator's what the LACK of discipline is doing to kids nowadays. I can tell which of the 72 kids on my bus are disciplined AND loved at home and the ones that are not. I have been cursed at, threatened by a first grader saying "if I had an axe i would knock you in the head" all because I told him to sit down and stay there. HE WAS SERIOUS! Called his parents and they were an A$$ about it to me. Many times over I have been disrespected, cursed at, threatened etc.. I could go on and on but I ain't.
Why can they take prayer out of schools but when people go to prison, each one is given a Bible.
GO FIGURE

lakading":1m1zz6so said:
chrisy":1m1zz6so said:
lakading":1m1zz6so said:

Sorry. It was meant to be rhetorical.

IMO it's directly related to parenting or the lack there of. Even if it is easier to blame the punk kids and politically correct do gooders.

I realized that but it was a good way to let off a little steam.

Latest posts