The deciding Factor: Which Livestock?

Help Support CattleToday:

JoLy

Reaction score
My boyfriend is purchasing a small acreage in Central Texas, and we want to run some livestock, for fun but mostly profit. We both have animal experience, I am a former 4-H'er with mainly goat experience, I raised goats for show, dairy and market, While Charlie used to work on his Grandfather's ranch. So, we have had alot of experience between the two of us, and we aren't afraid of hard work. Mainly we just want the most return for our investment. My father has a friend who has been having alot of success with raising dairy calves, but I would like another opinion before we commit. We would be selling at an auction in Stephenville, Tx. So, here is the question:
Which would be the best investment? beef feeder calves, dairy feeder calves, or meat goats?
Does anybody have any rough figures on what beef feeder calves go for, in comparison to dairy calves?
I appreciate any help.
Thanks

JoLy":1hgdc6w8 said:
My boyfriend is purchasing a small acreage in Central Texas, and we want to run some livestock, for fun but mostly profit. We both have animal experience, I am a former 4-H'er with mainly goat experience, I raised goats for show, dairy and market, While Charlie used to work on his Grandfather's ranch. So, we have had alot of experience between the two of us, and we aren't afraid of hard work. Mainly we just want the most return for our investment. My father has a friend who has been having alot of success with raising dairy calves, but I would like another opinion before we commit. We would be selling at an auction in Stephenville, Tx. So, here is the question:
Which would be the best investment? beef feeder calves, dairy feeder calves, or meat goats?
Does anybody have any rough figures on what beef feeder calves go for, in comparison to dairy calves?
I appreciate any help.
Thanks

In a small operation of less than 25 none as far as profit.

in our area, there are alot of people that run 10 or so head at a time, I figure if we go for cattle and run a very organized and strategic operation (yeah, I know, unrealistic, but hey, I'm an optimist) we can maybe run 20 a year. I have considered running a goat/calf operation, but my Dad says that goats just aren't the investment cattle are

JoLy":hjbkdalq said:
in our area, there are alot of people that run 10 or so head at a time, I figure if we go for cattle and run a very organized and strategic operation (yeah, I know, unrealistic, but hey, I'm an optimist) we can maybe run 20 a year. I have considered running a goat/calf operation, but my Dad says that goats just aren't the investment cattle are

I would sell at Dublin instead of Stephenville for beef cattle. With all the big operations around, you might find someone who has a nitch you can fill. With last year's extreme drought and the serious drought this year, you might consider raising hay on that patch. Right now that is where the money is. I am down to 10 head. Last cutting I made 115 bales of coastal and it sold in the field within a week, except for a few bales I kept.

If you like goats, stick with goats. Lot better chance of making money doing something you like and have experience with. You're in a good area for the goat business. The increasing Hispanic population should be another benefit to the meat goat business.

We are looking at a little over 5 acres in Northern Lampasas county. Kalichy (sp?) soil, scrubby grass, but it gets a decent amouint of rainfall for Central Tx. We have considered hay, maybe alfalfa. And while I do like goats, I like livestock in general, so as long as I am outside and with animals, i will be doing something I like :D

JoLy":2cda28cb said:
We are looking at a little over 5 acres in Northern Lampasas county. Kalichy (sp?) soil, scrubby grass, but it gets a decent amouint of rainfall for Central Tx. We have considered hay, maybe alfalfa. And while I do like goats, I like livestock in general, so as long as I am outside and with animals, i will be doing something I like :D
Make sure he's got a day job.

I wish you the best.

Wewild":3gtc8vkj said:
JoLy":3gtc8vkj said:

I wish you the best.

Thanks, as you can probably tell, we are just starting out. We both work 2 jobs, and are looking at this as an investment, and hopefully an enjoyable experience.

Beef calves/cows, sell in Dublin...goats, take them to Cleburne.

The market for dairy calves, right now in Stephenville, is fluctuating. Problem being...if you buy dairy bottle babies at the sale, you gotta make 'em live. Once they get past the do or die stage, you can make a little money...not a lot!

Now that the weather's cooled off, it's easier to keep the bottle babies alive...but ya' gotta know what to watch for and act accordingly.

Alice

JoLy":30qtbie8 said:
Wewild":30qtbie8 said:
JoLy":30qtbie8 said:

I wish you the best.

Thanks, as you can probably tell, we are just starting out. We both work 2 jobs, and are looking at this as an investment, and hopefully an enjoyable experience.

Set some goals. We set a goal when I reach a certain income she could quit work. Try to set that same time line in a way that you can stay home with the kids.

JoLy":wjvw5wjy said:
Wewild":wjvw5wjy said:
JoLy":wjvw5wjy said:

I wish you the best.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that can make things a mite tougher.

Alice

Alice":78fw62l8 said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that can make things a mite tougher.

Alice
Give them a break. Their in love. When is the last time you were?

S10Tahoe":2y1lxqke said:
Its me the BoyFriend :)

Life will change 3 times from now if you marry.

when you marry

when your first is born

and when your kids move out.

There is a long row between the 2nd and 3rd.

I wish you the best.

5 acres i would say boar goats in sc you can run about 20 nannies and billy maybe you can rent pasture for cattle as you grow good luck 8)

JoLy":2il8imrb said:
Thank you to everyone who has given advice, we appreciate it alot!

I hope God Blesses all your endevors!

I've lost a lot of nickels through the years but I have never lost any when I bought land. Land has always made me money. There was a time when I was starting out in life that I wished I owned 5 acres.

It is tough to get an ag-exemption on 5 acres of land. I don't think you'll be able to do so. You would be better served buying a little more ground and something with a little better soil.

I don't think you'll make many nickels with cattle on that small of a scale. Best thing for now is to try and focus on breaking even, getting some experience, and getting some equipment along the way. You're going to need a good head gate and such eventually. You may be able to jump a little deeper later on and any equipment you already have at that point will be a bonus.

Most everyone of us started somewhere. I made some mistakes a long the way. Buying land has never been a mistake. Take your time when you buy anything. Buy sound used equipment any time you can. Fencing is expensive. If you can find a small place you can afford that has good fencing and perhaps working pens and such already set up, you will be better served. Horse people are pretty bad about throwing out a whole bunch of nickels on pens, fencing and equipment then deciding they don't much care for feeding all those horses. Look for a small "ranchette" already set up.

Latest posts