The deciding Factor: Which Livestock?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":2cj13rp0 said:
JoLy":2cj13rp0 said:
Thank you to everyone who has given advice, we appreciate it alot!

I hope God Blesses all your endevors!

I've lost a lot of nickels through the years but I have never lost any when I bought land. Land has always made me money. There was a time when I was starting out in life that I wished I owned 5 acres.

It is tough to get an ag-exemption on 5 acres of land. I don't think you'll be able to do so. You would be better served buying a little more ground and something with a little better soil.

I don't think you'll make many nickels with cattle on that small of a scale. Best thing for now is to try and focus on breaking even, getting some experience, and getting some equipment along the way. You're going to need a good head gate and such eventually. You may be able to jump a little deeper later on and any equipment you already have at that point will be a bonus.

Most everyone of us started somewhere. I made some mistakes a long the way. Buying land has never been a mistake. Take your time when you buy anything. Buy sound used equipment any time you can. Fencing is expensive. If you can find a small place you can afford that has good fencing and perhaps working pens and such already set up, you will be better served. Horse people are pretty bad about throwing out a whole bunch of nickels on pens, fencing and equipment then deciding they don't much care for feeding all those horses. Look for a small "ranchette" already set up.

This place already has an ag exemption, as at one time it was part of a larger property. Also, it is hemmed in by 2 large ranches, so the fencing is recent, and really well done.
We are thinking of this as a starting place, our launch pad. Really, We want to make enough to help pay off the property faster, and so we can experience.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Wewild":2436ew5m said:
S10Tahoe":2436ew5m said:
Its me the BoyFriend :)

Life will change 3 times from now if you marry.

when you marry

when your first is born

and when your kids move out.

There is a long row between the 2nd and 3rd.

I wish you the best.

Wewild,

They should make this a sticky,
great info here....
Long hard row, and the boat is going up hill both ways.
Only thing I would add is the fourth change. When the kids are in the teens, wife dont changed but your life sure does...
MD

Australian Cattleman brought up Boer Goats. There's a big Boer Goat farm right outside of Stephenville on Hwy. 67 going towards Glen Rose. You might stop and talk to those people. I do know there is money in Boer Goats. I think they even have a website.

Alice

Alice":3jks9num said:
Australian Cattleman brought up Boer Goats. There's a big Boer Goat farm right outside of Stephenville on Hwy. 67 going towards Glen Rose. You might stop and talk to those people. I do know there is money in Boer Goats. I think they even have a website.

Alice

Thanks, I'll look them up. I did have a Boer at one time, and they are really great producers, the only thing is they are grand escapologists! Had to have our Rosie put down because she broke her leg jumping fences and then got a bone infection.

JoLy":3i9czdii said:
Alice":3i9czdii said:

Alice

Thanks, I'll look them up. I did have a Boer at one time, and they are really great producers, the only thing is they are grand escapologists! Had to have our Rosie put down because she broke her leg jumping fences and then got a bone infection.

I watched a Boer Goat auction on-line one time on the internet. I was amazed at the amount of money those goats brought, especially the nannies...I'm talking up in the thousands of dollars for one nanny. Made me see dollar signs, but then realized that we have far too many coyotes and our fences won't accomodate them.

Someone had brought some goats from Hamilton to that auction, so I know there is at least one person in Hamilton that raises them.

The goat farm close to us, the one on 67...I don't know how they handle the coyote issue. I've never seen a donkey out in their fields.

Alice

At my parent's place, we have 4 big black dogs that scare pretty much everything away, so coyotes haven't been a problem for us since we got them. Of course, the pack of wolves that my nieghbor has helps that too, just the thought of them getting out terrifies me now...I've seen what they have done to chickens :shock: . For us, the biggest problem was stray dogs, they are bolder and people don't always grab their shot gun when they see a dog roaming around.

I figured I would get a Pyranese or maybe a donkey to guard any livestock.

Boers can bring in alot of money, but only if you are willing to invest alot of money first. They can be sold for meat, breeders, or even high dollar to 4-H'rs or FFA kids with grand expectations.

Wewild":2zmjcmj9 said:
Alice":2zmjcmj9 said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that can make things a mite tougher.

Alice
Give them a break. Their in love. When is the last time you were?

I was talking about the both of them working 2 jobs, wewild. Go back and take a look at what I bolded. As for the last time I was in love...that's really nunya', however, since I've been married only 2 years, I think that should answer your question.

Next!

Alice

Alice":h1u8b539 said:
Wewild":h1u8b539 said:
Alice":h1u8b539 said:

Alice

I was talking about the both of them working 2 jobs, wewild. Go back and take a look at what I bolded. As for the last time I was in love...that's really nunya', however, since I've been married only 2 years, I think that should answer your question.

Next!

Alice

Congrats on your marriage! I hope God Blesses you with a long and happy one! (now, from what my mother says, you can FEEL like killing them at times, as long as you DON'T go through with it....)

JoLy":1lekaooa said:
Alice":1lekaooa said:
Wewild":1lekaooa said:
Alice":1lekaooa said:

Alice

Next!

Alice

Congrats on your marriage! I hope God Blesses you with a long and happy one! (now, from what my mother says, you can FEEL like killing them at times, as long as you DON'T go through with it....)

Well thank you, JoLy...that was sweet of you to say. Best wishes to you on your impending marriage! :D

Alice

JoLY, With your optimism and enthusiasm I believe you will do well in whatever you do. You are like a breath of fresh air.

Boer goats certainly give a good turnover as opposed to the long term investment in cattle, I have kept them almost continuously since 1970, corraling them at night when I had my own farm with various predators.When I lived in England for a few years I kept them behind a six strand electric fence with 'step in' 5 ft plastic posts with no escapes, despite two of my rented fields adjoining tempting gardens!

I've never raised goats but I remember somone on her saying once that in Texas you raise cattle for respect and goats for money. I've raised cattle though and there is alot more to it than just putting them in a fenced in field somewhere and taking the babies to market when you wean them. If your only talking about 5 acers then you're probably only talking about keeping 1 or 2 cows. You may spend more on gas than you clear on a calf each year just going out to the property to feed them. There could also be some infrastructure costs such as pen equipment and a water source if there is not a pond on this 5 acres. If you have to set a water meter to water them that could cost a couple thousand dollars plus some minimum monthly fee.

Whether its goats, cattle, or both you should make a detailed plan of what exactly your going to do, how you are going to do it, a list of every single little thing you will need to do it, what the animals needs are and how your going to supply those needs.

Best of luck to you.

dcara":109u1kc3 said:
I've never raised goats but I remember somone on her saying once that in Texas you raise cattle for respect and goats for money. I've raised cattle though and there is alot more to it than just putting them in a fenced in field somewhere and taking the babies to market when you wean them. If your only talking about 5 acers then you're probably only talking about keeping 1 or 2 cows. You may spend more on gas than you clear on a calf each year just going out to the property to feed them. There could also be some infrastructure costs such as pen equipment and a water source if there is not a pond on this 5 acres. If you have to set a water meter to water them that could cost a couple thousand dollars plus some minimum monthly fee.

Whether its goats, cattle, or both you should make a detailed plan of what exactly your going to do, how you are going to do it, a list of every single little thing you will need to do it, what the animals needs are and how your going to supply those needs.

Best of luck to you.

We already are planning on having a well drilled after succesfuly purchasing the property. but its going to be pricey $6000 easly the depth of the well will be around 250ft

Meat goats could be your best bet with more Hispanic's moving in. See about trapping and selling some wild boars too. The Hispanics love them.

i'd go with goats. small acreage. high demand. experience. plus cattle are still pricey right now. later on when cows are cheaper you can maybe incorporate both. maybe you can raise show goats and sell them for outrageous amounts to gullible georgians.

We only have five acres as well. The nieghbors don't like our cows much, but heck I don't care. We are zoned for it, so if they don't like it then they can move to the city as far as I am concerned. One nieghbor down the road was complaining that they make to much noise; I told him if he wanted to keep complaining - I can go buy ten more :D
Haven't heard anything else out him.

We have a mixture of cows, two dairy and two beef. Two are hiefers and two are steers. We're going to eat the steers and breed the heifers, to always have meat in the freezer. These are hard times here, especially with winter coming; most here can't even afford to heat their homes in the winter let alone buy a steak.

If we get heifer calves, we will keep those, raise them up and then breed them as well. When we get to a point where we have more than we need for ourselves, then we plan on selling to pay to feed the others. A long term goal, it will take a few years to do, but a goal none the less.

We also raise pigs for meat. It helps in the long run.

Good luck with whatever you decide, it sounds like you have a head on your shoulders and you use it :D