The Critics

Help Support CattleToday:

J-SV< I like the heifer, I like the pic. I tell my wife all the time I'm going to fence the yard, let the cows mow the grass. Fertilize
it too, ;-) :cboy:

mnmtranching - thanks. About the "yard". My house is a good 100 yards off the road (front yard). This is on the side of the house where we keep our replacements during the winter. I have a good acre or so to mow.
I still had my fall heifers in with the springs because we were breeding them, but they are now in with my "pampered" group which is the bred 2 & 3 year olds. They are considered "pampered" because they get the best winter protected field and don't have to fight the older cows and I don't let them run out of hay. Mature cows are allowed to run out of hay periodically so they clean up the hay real good.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":312prkln said:
mnmtranching - thanks. About the "yard". My house is a good 100 yards off the road (front yard). This is on the side of the house where we keep our replacements during the winter. I have a good acre or so to mow.
I still had my fall heifers in with the springs because we were breeding them, but they are now in with my "pampered" group which is the bred 2 & 3 year olds. They are considered "pampered" because they get the best winter protected field and don't have to fight the older cows and I don't let them run out of hay. Mature cows are allowed to run out of hay periodically so they clean up the hay real good.
nice heifer jeanne like your cattle alot. is that central park in the background :?:

Nice cattle, Jeanne. Love those fuzzy simmi ears. Living on Long Island, do you drink a lot of "tea"?

Are those the square plastic battens in your fence? I used some that look like that last year, haven't had any problems out of them, but the just look cheap. You like them?

cfpinz

I have seen Macho in person. He is stout and tracks well. Very correct bull.

Here's a herf for guest 25 and nortexsook (and anyone else) to pick apart. When the picture was taken she was 6 I think and dry. She is that fat on native grass. Only grain she gets is what I use to pen them. Unload on her. I have thick skin.
IMG_1641.jpg

Matt S and Cert,

Both very nice cows, I would have prefered the hereford slightly shorter on the legs, but that is just my personal taste. I have one that looks just like that that is one of my best producers, even if she isn't exactly my ideal cow.

Alacowman - yes Central Park and Times square isn't too far away - ain't I lucky. Some city folks complain at weaning time tho.
cfpinz - sure, wanta come over for a spot of tea?
I think you are referring to our droppers. They are black plastic & actually hollow triangle shaped with "grooves" every few inches on one side. That is only about a 40' stretch of hi-tensile between wooden posts, and we used them for spacers. They're OK, but "bend" under heavy snow loads on long stretches. Hard to believe the snow can pull fence down like it does.
Fencer friend says the 6-7' white plastic 1" posts are working great on flat stretches for line posts - with of course good corner assemblies.
MattS - thanks - she was my favorite. Nicknamed "Tunes".

Cert - thanks for your comments.
Your cow looks really nice. Long spined & long hipped. That's something we struggled to keep when we started downsizing our cows. We want to cut the legs off but keep that great length.

Jeanne - The droppers sound like the same, but ours are square. There's got to be something better out there.

That tea invite sounds good, don't know about the "spot" but a glass or three sounds good. :)

cfpinz

cfpinz":164ria0s said:
Jeanne - The droppers sound like the same, but ours are square. There's got to be something better out there.

That tea invite sounds good, don't know about the "spot" but a glass or three sounds good. :)

cfpinz
Come on up - doors always open. Of course, you might want to bring your longjohns. Might chilli up here compared to VA. :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1x8mmlqg said:
cfpinz":1x8mmlqg said:

cfpinz
Come on up - doors always open. Of course, you might want to bring your longjohns. Might chilli up here compared to VA. :p

It's not exactly swimming weather here for that matter! But Punxy Phil didn't see his shadow this morning so I'll be sporting my new speed-o before you know it! :lol2:

cfpinz":q04as7vu said:

cfpinz
yep a spot wouldnt do it. a pitcher full with lemon might do it

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1rmfwxdh said:
I GOT IT! gotta learn the right way, that took forever!
Here's as updated picture of the Macho heifer Reward - born 10-1-05
Reward_1-07_2.jpg
Dang good genetics when they grow like that on snow and an empty bale ring. :D

Is this a feeder calf? Seing as how she is drylotted up by the house, I figure maybe your feeding her out for your Memorial Day cookout?

I've seen better feeders!

certherfbeef":1mxd36xo said:
I have seen Macho in person. He is stout and tracks well. Very correct bull.

Here's a herf for guest 25 and nortexsook (and anyone else) to pick apart. When the picture was taken she was 6 I think and dry. She is that fat on native grass. Only grain she gets is what I use to pen them. Unload on her. I have thick skin.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/diamondDherefords

/IMG_1641.jpg

I'm a BA and Char guy and I have quite a bit of Hereford influence.
Nothing to pick apart on your cow. To long legs :?: don't know about that. :roll: I think anyone would be happy to own her. 8)

Latest posts