The Best Way?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
dun":1gldqgf3 said:
Caustic Burno":1gldqgf3 said:
dun":1gldqgf3 said:
As a total rookie I'ld go with 4-7 year old cows. That way the stuff you don;t know about the cows do

dun

You can't do that Dun about half of these wantabee's think a 7 or 8 year old cow are wore out.

I guess I just have a thing for the old and worn out things in life. Figure we make a good match.
I may be a sucker for a pretty heifer, a carry over from my mis-spent youth, I prefer them 7-10 for my own purchases if I'm buying cows.

dun
theres nothing wrong with 4 to 7yr old cows.i talked to a guy last nite about some reg beefmasters.his cows are calving now.they are 3 to 9 yrs old.i can buy all the pairs i want for $1500 a pair.an he will even gurentee the cows to have a live calf.an if they dont he will take the cow back,an either give me another cow or my money back.

bigbull338":e3ujluu9 said:
dun":e3ujluu9 said:
Caustic Burno":e3ujluu9 said:
dun":e3ujluu9 said:
As a total rookie I'ld go with 4-7 year old cows. That way the stuff you don;t know about the cows do

dun

You can't do that Dun about half of these wantabee's think a 7 or 8 year old cow are wore out.

I guess I just have a thing for the old and worn out things in life. Figure we make a good match.
I may be a sucker for a pretty heifer, a carry over from my mis-spent youth, I prefer them 7-10 for my own purchases if I'm buying cows.

dun
theres nothing wrong with 4 to 7yr old cows.i talked to a guy last nite about some reg beefmasters.his cows are calving now.they are 3 to 9 yrs old.i can buy all the pairs i want for $1500 a pair.an he will even gurentee the cows to have a live calf.an if they dont he will take the cow back,an either give me another cow or my money back.

That sounds like a pretty good deal for a reg 3 in 1 to me.

Given the assumption there is nothign wrong with them.

From what I have researched, and understand to be true...

Santa Gertrudis is the first american beef breed. and their momma cows are without a doubt the best any breed has to offer. Santa Gertrudis had the first four star DNA tested bull for marbling and tenderness. And heterosis, you know when you cross bos indicus cattle(Santa Gertrudis) with bos taurus cattle (Angus, Hereford, etc.) it produces what is called hybrid vigor resulting in higher weaning weights. The more weight the more money, and they have a natural resistance to pink eye and foot rot. I think think that alot of the reason there arn't more of them, is becouse of the misconceptions.

May be wrong though.

Caustic Burno":6giy6od5 said:
Post in a year you will haul to the salebarn very few registered cattle are seedstock. You have failed lesson one of a seedstock producer ruthless culling of the herd.

CB you are right on - There is a quite large seedstock producer not all that far from me, and every fall they are selling steers and heifers at the fall special feeder sales.... getting same price as every one else.... They have a lot of great cattle - that I cannot fathom paying that kind of price for private treaty off their farm. But I can pay feeder prices for their cull calves that are, to me - very good quality, and raise for potential replacement heifers.... just don't have papers (i don't care). They keep the very best for themselves, and sell the rest.... I have heard talk they only keep the best 10 to 20% for themselves....that leaves a lot of room to get some really decent commercial heifers.

Ok, I have been watching this thread and the negative comments about Santa Gertrudis. We have no SGs or Beefmasters. From what I understand, here in Texas the Beefmasters are very popular. The SGs and Beefmasters are closely related in origin, genetically, right? How could one be highly sought after and the other not desireable? I don't know, that is why I am asking.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

CowpokeJ":12yer1n2 said:
I think you should skip the cattle business and stay in the fertilizer business.

Not a chance, you know if "cattlemen" were aways as close minded as many of you about something new, we wouldn't even have cattle in this country. Many of the SG breeders use to run the "norm", and after a couple years of having a few SG's around for a while got rid of everything else. 3/4ths of the SG breed memberships are for farms under 30 head of cattle. FACT.

Farmgirl":33ptqbi8 said:
Ok, I have been watching this thread and the negative comments about Santa Gertrudis. We have no SGs or Beefmasters. From what I understand, here in Texas the Beefmasters are very popular. The SGs and Beefmasters are closely related in origin, genetically, right? How could one be highly sought after and the other not desireable? I don't know, that is why I am asking.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Perhaps different sire and dam selection? The difference is pretty obvious when you look at the animals.

I like SGs. Don't get me wrong. They are just not as popular of a breed and in demand like they were in the 60's.

allenfarms":2xmm9691 said:
CowpokeJ":2xmm9691 said:
I think you should skip the cattle business and stay in the fertilizer business.

Not a chance, you know if "cattlemen" were aways as close minded as many of you about something new, we wouldn't even have cattle in this country. Many of the SG breeders use to run the "norm", and after a couple years of having a few SG's around for a while got rid of everything else. 3/4ths of the SG breed memberships are for farms under 30 head of cattle. FACT.

Problem is you are not talking about doing anything new! As you stated the SG's are one of the oldest breeds in America. You are talking about doing something that has already been proven not to be financially successful or everyone would be still raising them. You are talking about repeating history not moving with the times. All these things you are mentioning such as A.I., Donor cows, SG's has all been done, nothing new under the sun here.

The difference is pretty obvious when you look at the animals.

So the original Hereford component makes the difference or the within breed selection through the years?

Just wondering,
Farmgirl

allenfarms":3t4nfe0d said:
Well I certainly don't intend on hauling registered Gerts to any sale barn around here.

Most people I have talked to don't know anything about them here. I had one couple tell me that they would freeze here, but my research says that they have incredibly thick hides for both warmth and insect resistance. And herds run as far north as Canada.

They are still pretty new and people are unfamiliar with them. I think they will eventually drive a strong market.

I wouldn't think that the market in Ark. is that different to TN.
You're getting advice from several different parts of the country, all advising you to rethink the gert decision. Seems you've made your mind up. Then as my old friend said, "Boy if experience won't teach you then you can't be taught".

What you didn't mention in that statement cowdirt is that not everyone has bad things to say about gerts.
I have talked to people in Indiana, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, all over! That had GREAT things to say about Gerts! The only thing that people have really said about gerts is about them havin ear, well so do brangus their buddy and beefmaster and tons of other cattle around here whoo hoo! Gerts are better than most all breeds. I mean really how long have all these other breeds been around and who was the first first four star breed for marbling and tenderness? Really think about that.

allenfarms":1t960tdz said:
The only thing that people have really said about gerts is about them havin ear,

That is the only thing going for them from my persepctive. Cattle need ear in this climate. I personally would choose brangus over gerts, but that is a personal choice. I have one cow that is a gert cross and I am not looking for any more, unless I get a bargain the way I got that one.

allenfarms":1ziib68b said:
What you didn't mention in that statement cowdirt is that not everyone has bad things to say about gerts.
I have talked to people in Indiana, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, all over! That had GREAT things to say about Gerts! The only thing that people have really said about gerts is about them havin ear, well so do brangus their buddy and beefmaster and tons of other cattle around here whoo hoo! Gerts are better than most all breeds. I mean really how long have all these other breeds been around and who was the first first four star breed for marbling and tenderness? Really think about that.

I sounds like your mind is pretty well made up.
Why not go for it, I'll bet you can get some seed stock from...
I have talked to people in Indiana, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, all over!
Then you can go to the Gert. web site and post an ad for the ones you have to sell when you are on your way to being a producer.

allenfarms":2iq1zrxm said:
Gerts are better than most all breeds.

That is a pretty strong statement for someone that has never raised one! Have you actually even seen one in person or just on websites were you swallowed their sales pitch?

their momma cows are without a doubt the best any breed has to offer.

This is also a pretty bold brush statement. If you think that highly of them go for it.

opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one and nobody really wants to hear it.

Farmgirl":262kw7xq said:

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Beef master is a 3 way cross with a lot better dispostion. than the other composite Brahman breeds.
You have Brafords , Brangus, Simbrahs,Cetified F-1's, Gert's and the Beefmaster.
IMO the F-1 is the best cow if you can take the heat.

"Not a chance, you know if "cattlemen" were aways as close minded as many of you about something new, we wouldn't even have cattle in this country. Many of the SG breeders use to run the "norm", and after a couple years of having a few SG's around for a while got rid of everything else. 3/4ths of the SG breed memberships are for farms under 30 head of cattle. FACT.[/quote]"

I started with commercial SG cows and a registered SG bull in 1991. They were good mamas but I had more foot trouble than I've ever had since I went to other brands about 1995. About this time "Red" began falling out of favor in my area. This is just my personal experience. If I were you I went go ahead and get started on your experience. Good or bad it will be a dear teacher. Over and Out.

allenfarms":2nddv7d9 said:

Well of course they said good things they didn't even have to set the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts