The Best Way?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenfarms

Reaction score
What is the best way for someone who only wants to run like 25 head year round to make money?

I also want Registered Cattle and am leaning strongly towards Santa Gertrudis.

I just want registered stock and to make the best money.

If you have input on Santa Gertrudis good or bad please tell.

Also list breeds to stay away from and breeds to lean towards, and why?

Thank you, Will

If it helps, I have a poultry farm on the property as well as our dwelling home. So I / We are always around the animals. I have about 78 acres but some in timber and can run about 25 pair if I want them year round. Maybe more like 20 and feed less in the winter. Can one Bull service this many Cows? And to start a registered herd what is the best approach.

Best way is to sell seedstock. Be ready to invest a pretty penny to get started though. Marketing is more important to the red line than actual quality it seems.

I cant say stay away from any breed. They all have their niche and supporters. I would look at what iss wanted/utilized in your immediate area as that is were, at least your intitial, customer base is going to be derived from.

allenfarms":reoba75c said:
What is the best way for someone who only wants to run like 25 head year round to make money?

Thank you, Will

If it helps, I have a poultry farm on the property as well as our dwelling home. So I / We are always around the animals. I have about 78 acres but some in timber and can run about 25 pair if I want them year round. Maybe more like 20 and feed less in the winter. Can one Bull service this many Cows? And to start a registered herd what is the best approach.

Not enough volume there, even at "registered" prices. Your fixed cost will eat you.

seedstock?

fixed cost?

So don't think a "small operation can make money"? please explain.

Thanks!

allenfarms":1ds0rlp2 said:

Thank you, Will

You are going to have a rough time playing the registered game period at that level. Secondly with Gerts not a high demand for the breed.
Brammer influenced cattle have unique characteristics.

first you need to decide if you want gerts.an then findout how much reg cattle will cost you.wich will then tell you if you can afford them.id say start out with 5 bred cows or heifers. 3 in 1s would be even better.then get you a good reg bull.an slowly grow your herd by buying or raising the very best heifers.as for raising bulls get someone to help you pick the best of your bull calves to raise.

I think a small operation can make money. Dont get wrapped up in the theory that the cows have to pay for everything. They only have to help.

As long as the cows are putting change in your pocket that wouldnt otherwise be there then you are doing good.

ie: Chickens + cows = bills paid + 50 cents in your pocket

Versus

Chickens + Cows = bills paid - 50 cents.

That's what I love about the Turkey Farm. It pays for itself, and all my bills including the house cattle and everything. ALL BILLS ARE ran through the Turkey Farm. I already have more equipment than the norm. "cattle farmer will need." EVen a litter truck which helps my pasture. It's not like I am rich but the bills are paid and I have money to spare. Most of all I am buildiing alot of equity on the Turkey Operation So eventually I can sell and GO Bigger. I am NOT lookin to make a Killin' on these cattle, just make a little or come out even for the experience and the thrill of it!!

I am sure I want Gerts. I see though that alot of farms are mainly promoting their Bulls. Is that were the money is when you go registered? What about semen?

allenfarms":1xwm98kd said:
That's what I love about the Turkey Farm. It pays for itself, and all my bills including the house cattle and everything. ALL BILLS ARE ran through the Turkey Farm. I already have more equipment than the norm. "cattle farmer will need." EVen a litter truck which helps my pasture. It's not like I am rich but the bills are paid and I have money to spare. Most of all I am buildiing alot of equity on the Turkey Operation So eventually I can sell and GO Bigger. I am NOT lookin to make a Killin' on these cattle, just make a little or come out even for the experience and the thrill of it!!

I am sure I want Gerts. I see though that alot of farms are mainly promoting their Bulls. Is that were the money is when you go registered? What about semen?
most reg farms sale their very best bulls an heifers.the semen sales that your talking about arnt that easy.todo that you have to have a heck of a bull that everyone wants calves out of.

Yes you can make some money, but a feller is way better off sticking to the type of Cattle that sell for top dollar in his area/region.Gerts are great Cattle, but take for instance, they are not very popular around this neck of the woods.

3MR":1eolk798 said:
I think a small operation can make money. Dont get wrapped up in the theory that the cows have to pay for everything. They only have to help.

As long as the cows are putting change in your pocket that wouldnt otherwise be there then you are doing good.

ie: Chickens + cows = bills paid + 50 cents in your pocket

Versus

Chickens + Cows = bills paid - 50 cents.

Thats an interesting theory. When you don't expect the cows to pay there way thats a losing propostion. Why invest in them?
Secondly I would definetly rethink Gerts as you are getting pretty far north for 3/8 Brammer influence cattle.
You are also looking at a breed that is slower to mature due to brimmer influence.
Gerts don't ring the bell at the salebarn here I can only imagine it getting worse as you head north.
You would make more money in the long run with red cows and running a Char or Angus bull. The high yellow baldies and the black baldies are going to ring the bell at the sale.
It is going to hurt like crazy when you haul that trailer load of registered Gerts calf's to the salebarn and get 80 cents a pound versus a dollar.

Well I certainly don't intend on hauling registered Gerts to any sale barn around here.

Most people I have talked to don't know anything about them here. I had one couple tell me that they would freeze here, but my research says that they have incredibly thick hides for both warmth and insect resistance. And herds run as far north as Canada.

They are still pretty new and people are unfamiliar with them. I think they will eventually drive a strong market.

allenfarms":2frs8zq6 said:
Well I certainly don't intend on hauling registered Gerts to any sale barn around here.

Most people I have talked to don't know anything about them here. I had one couple tell me that they would freeze here, but my research says that they have incredibly thick hides for both warmth and insect resistance. And herds run as far north as Canada.

They are still pretty new and people are unfamiliar with them. I think they will eventually drive a strong market.
beefmasters an gerts has bramaha blood in them.an i know theres alot of beefmasters in arkanas an missouri.so gerts can make it there as well.

allenfarms":3hzflsh8 said:

Post in a year you will haul to the salebarn very few registered cattle are seedstock. You have failed lesson one of a seedstock producer ruthless culling of the herd.

Gerts can make a good crossbred. I've seen some dang good cows come from Gert cows bred to a good milky hereford bull.

Don't think I would be going in the Gert business now. There's a dozen or so purebred guys over here that have shut down their operations in the past few years because of the lack of sales.

The older breeders get all the business. What little there is.

P.S.
It doesn't matter what breed you have, you will be taking some to the sale barn. Like it or not, they don't ALL qualify for seedstock.

Gerts were in very high demand back in the 60's. I remember it well. I don't know of anyone looking for them in the last 20 years.

I do know of folks who are looking for F-1s. I know folks looking for brangus. I know folks looking for MGs, myself included.

Gerts are not bad cattle. They are just not in high demand like they were back when.

backhoeboogie":3kntaluu said:
Gerts were in very high demand back in the 60's. I remember it well. I don't know of anyone looking for them in the last 20 years.

I do know of folks who are looking for F-1s. I know folks looking for brangus. I know folks looking for MGs, myself included.

Gerts are not bad cattle. They are just not in high demand like they were back when.

Family was heavily involved with Gerts in the 60's greatest think since sliced bread? Right.
Slow to breed, bulls are bad about stepping on there tally whacker. Thats a good one when you haul that 2000 dollar bull to the salebarn for hamburger.
They can get hot quick make you think Brangus are docile.
Have to be very careful in pest control due to Brahman influence can kill one faster than a cat can lick his butt.

Caustic Burno":3fdkpnrq said:
Family was heavily involved with Gerts in the 60's greatest think since sliced bread? Right.

You called that right.

Grandaddy probably had 40 gerts back in the 60's. They were very nice cows in that time. He crossed them with that grey Brahman bunch he got out of the Argentina. Lots of brindled calves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts