The Best Way?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are F-1's and MG's.

I havent heard any thing about them stepping on their breeding devices.

In the CA central value in the late 70's we crossed them on some Angus X and Hereford X cows. Look a beating at the sale barn on the calves but the cows from those crosses did fine and were some really super momma cows.

dun

bigbull338":wty9drkn said:
allenfarms":wty9drkn said:
Well I certainly don't intend on hauling registered Gerts to any sale barn around here.

Most people I have talked to don't know anything about them here. I had one couple tell me that they would freeze here, but my research says that they have incredibly thick hides for both warmth and insect resistance. And herds run as far north as Canada.

They are still pretty new and people are unfamiliar with them. I think they will eventually drive a strong market.
beefmasters an gerts has bramaha blood in them.an i know theres alot of beefmasters in arkanas an missouri.so gerts can make it there as well.

Has nothing to do can they live there the further north you go the worse you are going to be docked for eared cattle.
Just not one of the smarter moves to make starting out in the beef industry unless you are in the deep south with eared cattle.
Now if you were to put a Char or Angus on them gerts or Beefmasters you would have something.

Wife's father used to work on a farm (excuse me, ranch) owned by the King Ranch, ran straight Gerts. He hates those cattle with a passion now. Temperment problems are his main qualm along with the fact he said they used a backhoe to dig a large trench each year to fill up with the ones lost each winter, said those particular cattle didn't handle the cold worth a crap. And it's not really that cold in VA. I know here you can't give those things away at the market, a 20 cent dock would require you to pull a clydesdale horseshoe out your butt.

cfpinz

Caustic Burno":2mnbwnmz said:
bigbull338":2mnbwnmz said:
allenfarms":2mnbwnmz said:
Well I certainly don't intend on hauling registered Gerts to any sale barn around here.

Most people I have talked to don't know anything about them here. I had one couple tell me that they would freeze here, but my research says that they have incredibly thick hides for both warmth and insect resistance. And herds run as far north as Canada.

They are still pretty new and people are unfamiliar with them. I think they will eventually drive a strong market.
beefmasters an gerts has bramaha blood in them.an i know theres alot of beefmasters in arkanas an missouri.so gerts can make it there as well.

Has nothing to do can they live there the further north you go the worse you are going to be docked for eared cattle.
Just not one of the smarter moves to make starting out in the beef industry unless you are in the deep south with eared cattle.
Now if you were to put a Char or Angus on them gerts or Beefmasters you would have something.
burno some people want the breeds they want.it really doesnt matter if they get docked at the sale.they still want them.doesnt matter if a breed gets docked.you have to live with the docking if you want the cattle.

Are you already set up to run cattle?If not i would get infastructure in place first.

rattler

bigbull338":17v1ya6j said:
Caustic Burno":17v1ya6j said:
bigbull338":17v1ya6j said:
allenfarms":17v1ya6j said:

burno some people want the breeds they want.it really doesnt matter if they get docked at the sale.they still want them.doesnt matter if a breed gets docked.you have to live with the docking if you want the cattle.

That's what you call a Hobby.

Who can afford to have your Cattle docked in the ring, just so you can have a novelty breed ? Highest form of Hobby Farming you could commit.

cfpinz":1akf1ux5 said:
Wife's father used to work on a farm (excuse me, ranch) owned by the King Ranch, ran straight Gerts. He hates those cattle with a passion now. Temperment problems are his main qualm along with the fact he said they used a backhoe to dig a large trench each year to fill up with the ones lost each winter, said those particular cattle didn't handle the cold worth a crap. And it's not really that cold in VA. I know here you can't give those things away at the market, a 20 cent dock would require you to pull a clydesdale horseshoe out your butt.

cfpinz

You got that right family had about 300 head of the hateful things. Just one show it's butt and it was rodeo time.
The Brimmer/Hereford cross is hot the Shorthorn/Brimmer cross is hotter IMO. The best Brimmer crosses are Beefmaster and Brangus with Beefmasters having the least crazies.

Caustic Burno":29q62urp said:
bigbull338":29q62urp said:
Caustic Burno":29q62urp said:
bigbull338":29q62urp said:
allenfarms":29q62urp said:

Caustic, what did you do with your f-1 steers? didnt they get docked at the sale? or did you retain them or something?

Beefy":rqrot3fk said:
Caustic Burno":rqrot3fk said:
bigbull338":rqrot3fk said:
Caustic Burno":rqrot3fk said:
bigbull338":rqrot3fk said:
allenfarms":rqrot3fk said:

Caustic, what did you do with your f-1 steers? didnt they get docked at the sale? or did you retain them or something?

They got docked. Thats why I like a 3/4 herf/brimmer get the good mom and the ear is gone.

I raise registered Black Angus, and if you are honest to the breed no matter which breed you raise you will cull more than you keep. JMO

Beefy":nrxea1r7 said:
Caustic Burno":nrxea1r7 said:
bigbull338":nrxea1r7 said:
Caustic Burno":nrxea1r7 said:
bigbull338":nrxea1r7 said:
allenfarms":nrxea1r7 said:

the bottomline is we all like differant breeds of cattle.there are breeds that i dont like.but i dont put them down.sometimes its what you like no matter if you get docked.the beefmaster bull ive got is as gentle as a dog.

allenfarms":152454pg said:
What are F-1's and MG's.

I havent heard any thing about them stepping on their breeding devices.

My brangus bull got his breeding mechanism stepped on this past year and it looked like a Folgers coffee can. I thought I was going to have to ship him. If this would have happened in the middle of breeding season, I would have been toast and in the market for a bull pronto. I got really lucky that it did not get broke and he still functions. Brangus are bad about this but Gerts are really bad about stepping on themselves when they get up off of the ground. The next time you see a bull laying on his side, watch him get up. Then look at the anatomy of a brangus or gert. If this happens to your bull, you'll know it.

F-1s are crosses. Hybrids. Cross between two seperate pure breeds.

I was referring to Murray Grey's when I said MGs.

Look it is not like I am being a dumb*** and ignoring all the bad things people say. It's just so many people have had great things to say about them.

OK, what about Beef Master what does everyone think about them. How will they handle Arkansas and how will they do in the market. Again no matter what I go with it MUST be registered. I havn't ruled hout anything, ANGUS<BRANGUS, whatever. I would like to be a little different and go with like Santa Gertrudis or BeefMaster or something.

allenfarms":f6cokdsi said:
Look it is not like I am being a dumb*** and ignoring all the bad things people say. It's just so many people have had great things to say about them.

OK, what about Beef Master what does everyone think about them. How will they handle Arkansas and how will they do in the market. Again no matter what I go with it MUST be registered. I havn't ruled hout anything, ANGUS<BRANGUS, whatever. I would like to be a little different and go with like Santa Gertrudis or BeefMaster or something.
I've got some Beefmaster Cows, they make a great cross with a Hereford Bull.Easy to handle, and are great mamas.With my X's the Ear is gone.

Hard to go wrong with Brangus, just know as a beginner you are picking out "hot" cattle. You had better not skimp on the infrastructure.

Caustic Burno":2ubmuyz9 said:
Hard to go wrong with Brangus, just know as a beginner you are picking out "hot" cattle. You had better not skimp on the infrastructure.

CB, you better splain infrastructure and Brangus 101.

i would NOT start out with gerts. why not just get a handful of registered cows (if you must) to AI and some average cows you can "practice" with that will definitely make money.

allenfarms":3qexisl5 said:

well i like beefmasters well enough that im buying reg cows.the bull ive got is gentle an easy to handle.an alot of the cows are gentle.if you cull for disposition.they raise good calves.i know there are alot of beefmaster sales in arkanas an missouri.an they come in red an black if hide color is what your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts