Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am talking to the other half now about what to do for thanksgiving we are tired of all the same old stuff and will probably do the turkey and all for christmas. We are thinking about this as a menu listed below. What is everyone else having? Traditional meal or different? Any suggestion of anything else to try?

Pan of Lasagna
Salad
Garlic bread w provolone
Shrimp Fondue
BBQ chicken
Tar Heel Pies
Pecan Pie
Yellow lemon cake with Chocolate icing

what no cheese. so you eat thanksgiving type meals all year and that's why your tired of them? IMO thanksgiving meals should only be the medium for which your giving thanks. Personally it does not matter what you eat but do prefer a southern style meal.

I like ham, usually I smoke or grill one for Thanksgiving. Friday night we do prime rib with the bone in. And sweet potatoes with marshmallows and some honey. Kailua fudge cake, pecan pie and a peanut butter cream pie.
Then we're on to the venison, and low country boil for Saturday. As it stands now we will have a crowd coming, twenty plus as of now.

Just the two of us this year but we will do the traditional. We have a 9lb turkey to roast, mashed taters and gravy, sweet rolls, green bean casserole, stuffing. And sweet pickles,black olives and a few radishes to snack on. :mrgreen:

Then about 8 and half lbs of left over turkey to get tired of. :lol:

M5farm":5g3qlggq said:
what no cheese. so you eat thanksgiving type meals all year and that's why your tired of them? quote]

Well holiday meals are generally all the same. I eat cheese with every meal but bfast sometimes :lol2:

highgrit":5g3qlggq said:
I like ham, usually I smoke or grill one for Thanksgiving. Friday night we do prime rib with the bone in. And sweet potatoes with marshmallows and some honey. Kailua fudge cake, pecan pie and a peanut butter cream pie.
Then we're on to the venison, and low country boil for Saturday. As it stands now we will have a crowd coming, twenty plus as of now.

I may smoke a ham as well good idea... That peanut butter cream pie sure sounds good. I am sitting in the woods on a stand hoping the dogs bring one my way but they probably won't cause my stomach is growling too loud :lol2:

Alan":5g3qlggq said:
Just the two of us this year but we will do the traditional. We have a 9lb turkey to roast, mashed taters and gravy, sweet rolls, green bean casserole, stuffing. And sweet pickles,black olives and a few radishes to snack on. :mrgreen:

Then about 8 and half lbs of left over turkey to get tired of. :lol:

:lol2:

Wednesday night we will have a fried turkey, fried mustard, turnips, broc casserole, turkey dressing, giblet gravy, cornbread and cranberry sauce.

Thursday lunch we will have a Smoked turkey, rutabagas, turnips, white peas, orka, dressing cranberry and cracklin bread.

deserts will be numerous pecan pie, sweet potato wrapped in cressent roll with some butter and sugar syrup poured over the top. red velvet cake, cheesecake, and choc éclair desert.

Friday will be more of the same( leftovers )

It's a 4 day long affair for us.
Wed afternoon and Wed night at my oldest sister's---my nieces and nephews arrive with their campers and young-uns--smoked brisket gets started early and we eat it for lunch--Mexican food outside that evening if it isn't raining--inside if it is. The young-uns fish and shoot skeet. We build a big fire and sit outside till late--adult beverages will be present that night.
Thursday--traditional turkey dinner at my other sister's place around 1 pm--turkey, dressing, ham and whatever anyone wants to bring--be about 20-30 people all together.
Friday--potluck and leftovers at my house--fishing and paddle boat races at the pond.
Saturday--Burgers and hot dogs at noon but Chili that evening--everyone makes one pot and show up at my oldest sister's place again.

Sunday, we all get up, get dressed, go to church and sit & fart in the pews....

This year my crew wants a fry party. Get the fryer out and lay out several breaders and dips. Then have mozzarella sticks, marinated chicken pieces, zucchini,squash,mushrooms,onions, fries, pickles, snickers, Reese's cups and Twinkies. Then everyone fries up what they want. We have friends coming in and out all day long frying with us. Its a lot of fun and I enjoy fry parties but It seems wrong to not have a traditional turkey dinner. I gave up with nobody here getting in the spirit with me, but I think its going to make me sad.

This year we have a pig in the freezer, and I was looking forward to ham but there was a part of me that really wanted turkey this one time a year. Work decided it for me and gave us all turkeys for thanksgiving. Usually it's Christmas but this year it was early. Who knows why. So we'll do that, stuffing, potatoes and rolls.

Dessert's where it gets interesting. We'll be making homemade tootsie rolls and chocolate glazed donuts. For the frosting for the donuts we're making a no-egg chocolate cookie dough icing, and I will be dipping my tootsie rolls in that. After I go into diabetic shock, I will get on here and let all know that A) I'm alive and B) how good that stuff was.

Whatever you all decide to feast on , enjoy !!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and may God continue to bless you and keep your tables bountiful . :tiphat:

I love turkey and dressing, to me it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Christmas dinner is more likely to be something different for us. We had a Tex-Mex Christmas dinner one year with enchiladas and all kinds of good stuff including margaritas. But as long as you can be with your loved ones and have a good meal, that's waaaay more important than what you eat specifically.

My mother still hosts Thanksgiving. She's able and she loves to do it. But she's an over-achiever. Even though the gathering has gotten smaller than it used to be, she still says she's having a turkey AND a ham AND a brisket. For only about 12 people, heaven help us.

My wife is having surgery the day before Thanksgiving and I will be working that morning so we're putting together a menu full of stuff that the kids can handle making with a little guidance from me. So far it's sounding like homegrown ham, mac and cheese, and a few rolls and a homegrown salad. :nod:
We will have a more traditional dinner with family a few days earlier but we're all dreading that as my sister's family and mine love each other a lot more when we're three hundred miles apart. ;-) This will be the first year that Thanksgiving day itself is just my family and maybe my parents and we're really thankful for that even if we go hungry. I'm just happy to spend the day messing around with the kids in the kitchen after work.

MO_cows":2zvcrjme said:
I love turkey and dressing, to me it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Christmas dinner is more likely to be something different for us. We had a Tex-Mex Christmas dinner one year with enchiladas and all kinds of good stuff including margaritas. But as long as you can be with your loved ones and have a good meal, that's waaaay more important than what you eat specifically.

My mother still hosts Thanksgiving. She's able and she loves to do it. But she's an over-achiever. Even though the gathering has gotten smaller than it used to be, she still says she's having a turkey AND a ham AND a brisket. For only about 12 people, heaven help us.

MO we usually do prime rib for Christmas when I host I but, I still make my mom bring her dressing. It is the best I have ever tasted and a HUGE favorite of mine . Mr HD usually ambushes her at the door with a plate ready when she arrives . :lol:

Hope everything goes well with your wife's surgery CP and wishing her a speedy recovery . You can celebrate everything to be very thankful for when she is back home and feeling better than new ! :wave:

hillsdown":2evhggg8 said:
MO_cows":2evhggg8 said:

MO we usually do prime rib for Christmas when I host I but, I still make my mom bring her dressing. It is the best I have ever tasted and a HUGE favorite of mine . Mr HD usually ambushes her at the door with a plate ready when she arrives . :lol:

Some things, nobody can make them like mom. My mother in law always made noodles with the turkey neck and giblets. Since she has passed away, nobody can make them like she did and they have fallen off the menu. My great grandmother made sweet potato balls with a melty marshmallow inside, nobody has ever figured out her secret either, but I still try once in a while. Tried every recipe on the internet and a few of my own but just can't make them like she did. So I totally understand about the dressing.

I like to be very traditional when it comes to Thanksgiving. Turkey, potatoes, dress., corn, green bean casorole, cranberry, homemade rolls, etc., and the usual pies.

Christmas eve used to be lasagna, then usually turkey and/or ham on Christmas Day. In the last decade though, we've switched it up quite a bit. Smoked pork chops, prime rib, filet.

Y'all are making me hungry!!!

Fish fry, crawfish or shrimp boil, grilled steaks, or chicken and dumplings or fajitas those would be my choices. Last year was just me and the wife and we wrapped hot dogs in bacon and deep fried them then put them in a bun and had french fries one of the best Thanksgiving meals I have ever had.

Having Thanksgiving dinner with my daughter so the menu will be "pot luck". ;-) Bet it will all be good though.

Latest posts