Thanks for locking my Salatin thread, I got carried away!

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin":3ynjvvvu said:
I'd like to see that attempted.
OK, OH dear Jesus get this bull off my back!
What would you say if you suddenly found a bull on your back?

I'd probably wouldn't say anything but just try to crawl away .... if I could.

Aren't those trees their clear cutting in Tn plantations? [planted trees] Their renewable cut em and replant, makes lots of jobs, saves on imports, and old growth timber, and in 40-50 years cut em again. 8)

alftn":24hb3jpl said:
Clear cuting timber is stupid also....

Not in every case it isn't. I have seen many tracts of timber that benefited from the removal of the many trashy species of trees (some non-indigenous) that will never beneficial and replanted with a more productive one more suited to the soil and immediate environment.

With proper timber management comes the element of less timber being cut, because of more volume per acre, which will in turn help hold prices of lumber/wood products in check and also the total acreage being cut per year.

I have seen very few clear-cuts that weren't replanted either. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing one.

Wood is a renewable resource, you know.

mnmtranching":2wacaf1y said:
Aren't those trees their clear cutting in Tn plantations? [planted trees] Their renewable cut em and replant, makes lots of jobs, saves on imports, and old growth timber, and in 40-50 years cut em again. 8)

Yup. Got a plantation of pines next to my timber land that is clearcut, replanted (and fertilized) every 15 years.

Saves some of the "Old Growth" stuff from being cut by holding the price down.

This guy sounds like one of those that "Oooooo's and Ahhhh's" over the "Flora and Fauna", yet knows nothing about "Best Management Practices" OR Economics and sustainability. :roll:

You are absolutely correct. And so is oil, but that's another story.
Trees are farmed and harvested just like corn or soybeans. And they're even planted in rows.

And if it's erosion that is your beef with clear cutting, please be advised erosion is not necessarily a bad thing.
Where do you think top soil and rich fertile bottom land comes from?

I can show you lots of clear cut that has not been replanted....and I am not saying all clear cutting is stupid just most of it, or the thought that all clear cuting is OK..I bought 60 acers of hill that were striped about 5 years ago and not replanted it is recovering some and in about 60 years it will be back..Now as far as replanting(with pines) takes 25 to 30 years to harvest and that is if the pine bark boarer does not destory them frist....Westvageo sp.? has been tring to get out of the timber buss. around here for the last ten year...( the renewable resources are dying out) or mayge they are just afraid..they will.It is probly (and the experts hav different opions) better to clear cut small tracts out of a forestie. on a 1000 ac cut 10 five ac. tracts yearly over a 20 year period..and it still will not re grow but at least the wild life will have a chance....

Tree huggers are to easy!

Re: [I bought 60 acers of hill that were striped about 5 years ago and not replanted it is recovering some and in about 60 years it will be back.[/quote]
Well, that's why they didn't replant it. They were selling it!
Now that you bought it, you are suppose to replant it if that is what you want or subdivide it and sell building lots. As I see it, they done you a favor by clearing it and you didn't even have to buy the trees which lowered your purchase price.
IMO you should be thanking them, not b itching.

Now as far as replanting(with pines) takes 25 to 30 years to harvest
Wrong. Bowater's harvests ever 12 years.

and that is if the pine bark boarer does not destory them frist
True, pine beetles can be a problem, but so can grass hoppers. A little insecticide from a chopper takes care of them just fine.
SL

Sir Loin":f00mqssc said:
Re:
Loin what were you doing befor you started spreding hate and discontentment here on cattle today ??
I don't agree with your accusations of "spreding hate and discontentment here". Therefore I can't answer your question.
If my opinions bother you please don't read my posts. I would hate to think I was the cause of you going off the deep end.

How ya doing TTCLM, CATTLEMANFROMOUTERSPACE, and the rest of the names you have used in the past!

Your kid posting all this hate and discontent too? or are you going to admit that it is you??

Get your spell checker fixed after all you claimed to be the expert in your past posts!

Opinions are like A$$holes every body has them but all stink, yours worse than most.

I'm gonna hijack this before it gets locked-----

This is so correct - my fifth grandchild was born Thurday.

Jenna-Ann Wood

Another example of Wood renewing itself! :D [/b]

jw":2r51uskn said:
I'm gonna hijack this before it gets locked-----

This is so correct - my fifth grandchild was born Thurday.

Jenna-Ann Wood

Another example of Wood renewing itself! :D [/b]

Congrats!!

Bez>

I turly have my doubts as to 12 year pines in rock ground of mid tennessee.. maybe on good ground fo pulp...but if you are talking native species of tennessee your not talking pines..the oak, hickory, poplar, just do not grow that fast....Not in east tennessee the pines on top of the mountains as they say are probly a 100 year turn round...

SL could be TTCLM, but he hasn't threatened to shoot or beat anyone up yet. :) :) The jury is still out.

I take back what I said about Joel Salatin and his pig income. I now believe it. :D

Latest posts