texas long horn horn

Help Support CattleToday:

"If Grant really was the first to import Angus, in the 1870's, then I guess you could say the earlier post from Dianne was incorrect when it made reference to Hereford, Shorthorn and Angus importation in the early part of the 20th century – it would of course be the later part of the 19th century. Perhaps the passage from Dianne's source should have read something like "in the early part of the 20th century and the later part of the 19th century purebred Angus stock became available to fit the needs of literally all rank & file commercial ranchers rather than being limited to the wealthy and those with close ties to the original importers" ???"

Dyann's article is incorrect in several aspects, including the breeding up Angus and probably Hereford, too. I gave my opinion on why Longhorns almost went extinct.

"As to "breeding up" --- what do you suppose Grant bred those four bulls to in 1873 and the next few years? Surely he didn't just feed them until the later importation of Angus cows. Maybe all were bred to straight Herefords or Shorthorns already in America, but I rather doubt it. Is it not very likely that there was a good bit of F1 breeding to Longhorn or similar type cattle and then again to their progeny before the later importation of sufficient numbers of purebred Angus cows?"

If you bothered to read the article at OK State, it said the bulls were bred to domestic cattle and improved the beef. But the results were NOT registered as Angus cattle. When you breed a registered Angus bull to a commercial cow, you get a commercial animal no matter how many times you make the Angus cross.

"I imagine the current AAA set of rules are quite a bit more restrictive than was the case in the late 1800's and the early 1900's. If my memory serves me correctly it wasn't until 1889 or 1890 that the earliest form of the AAA adopted the black only rule, but I imagine that by that time there could have quite a large number of cattle that were solid black and polled, but that had been bred up from other breeds including Longhorns."

You can imagine what you want. But the claim that Dyann put out that Angus are "bred up" from Longhorns in the US is inaccurate. At least 1200 purebred Angus cattle were imported between 1878 and 1883. Twelve hundred. That's a tremendous number for that era. Considering the difficulty and cost of importing, do you think those guys turned them out and let them run with their commercial cattle? I doubt it.

"Have a nice weekend all --- Arnold Ziffle"

You, too.

Latest posts