Texas adopts RFID Cattle ID program

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
if this true? I saw this on another site.

AUSTIN - The Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) recently held a regularly scheduled Commission meeting on January 14, 2014, at its Austin office.

The following cattle rules were adopted during the Commission meeting and will go into effect on Tuesday, February 4, 2014:

Chapter 50, Animal Disease Traceability, Cattle Identification: This amendment establishes identification requirements for adult cattle being sold within the state of Texas. The rule states that all adult breeding cattle, except cattle going directly to slaughter, shall be permanently identified within seven days of change of ownership. Untagged adult cattle have seven days after purchase to be delivered to a slaughter facility, resold through a livestock market, or have acceptable permanent official identification applied. Slaughter type cattle that will be put on feed prior to slaughter shall also be permanently identified within seven days of purchase.

I'm going to do some research on this, but It is a rule now that all breeding age nonslaughter animals are required to have a permanent tag.
I'm thinking the rfid is now being accepted as a permanent tag

I got something in the mail about this but it was over a year ago. Called a vet and he said the sale barns would tag them.

If you were going to sell heifers or bulls via private treaty you can get the tags and tag them yourself
I can't find anything stating the rfid tag is an accepted form of tagging

slick4591":10fqjlem said:
Yep. It's a numbered ID tag that goes on one ear. Applies to animals 15 months or older.

I didn't read into it an I guess I was thinking it had to be an implant.

M5farm":1easktg3 said:
slick4591":1easktg3 said:
Yep. It's a numbered ID tag that goes on one ear. Applies to animals 15 months or older.

I didn't read into it an I guess I was thinking it had to be an implant.

Pretty much same as the old brucellosis tag

It's used heavily on dairies. On the ones I've seen the tag part is the same but the button on the back of the tag is about an inch wide and half an inch thick and that's the smart part of the tag.
As much as I hate the idea of big brother looking over my shoulder to the point where they track my cows, this can be a really neat management tool for big herds if you invest in it. A wand reader that gets within four feet of her tag can give you every piece of information you've recorded on that particular animal.

it is a good managment tool.....

the stupid part is using a tag which is not permanent as a permanent ID.....

I had three calves processed by the vet last spring and he put ID tags in all three...two still have them....the third had lost his within thirty days....

bull that have come back form bull test seldom retain the tags a long as a year.....

It would be no more difficult to put an implant the size of a grain of rice at the base of the ear in the cartiladge.....but the industry calmours for something visual.....okay put a regular tag in that says RFID chip in this ear.....

sometimes we are collectively so stupid that it is painful.....mandate a permanent rfid and put it in a temporary device....stupid.

Latest posts