Texan's Call to Arm's

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":2ky1rkw8 said:
Wow. I had no idea it was that bad.

This has been done in secret, not wanting to start a discussion here.
People just need to research this.
The only way it was discovered is teachers smuggling out the curriculum.

CSCOPE is already in place.

Initial CSCOPE development began during the 2005-06 school year, with the 2006-07 school year designated as the first year of implementation. In 2006-07, there were 182 active CSCOPE districts in Texas. As of September 25, 2012, there are 875 active CSCOPE districts. This equates to approximately 70% of the *districts in Texas.

http://www.cscope.us/faq.html

The changes being made are good things. It is a mess.

http://www.txcscopereview.com/2013/texas-senators-to-the-rescue/

I'm a long way from Texas and this is the first I've heard about this, but after a few minutes searching the internet it seems like some people are making a big deal over nothing. A teacher asking if there were any volunteers that would like to put a berka on doesn't sound like a big deal to me. And the other incident I looked into concerning the Boston Tea Party sounded like an interesting way to get kids to look at things from another perspective.

I would guess the same people that are upset over the berka incident because of what the berka represents are the same people that get upset when the Confederate flag or a cross is removed from a public area because of what it represents. Also, I would guess the people upset with kids looking at the Tea Party through the eyes of the British would be totally fine with an assignment asking the kids to look at the Cival War through the eyes of a plantation owner.

I personally have no problem with my kids considering another perspective or even questioning their beliefs, the thing that bothers me though is that usually in schools and in the media only the liberal side is presented. I think it is better to know why you believe something and be able to defend those beliefs than to simply be presented one side and be told this is the way it is and what you need to believe.

Rip away! :tiphat:

Part of the problem is that it restricts how a teacher teaches a subject. The schools here teach to pass a test which is now STARS. The students are missing out on a lot. It is frustrating for the teachers to have to teach only the things needed to pass the test.

I think the problem with teachers teaching to pass a test in happening everywhere not just there. Teachers are put in a tough position. We want accountability with teachers and what better way of holding them accountable than making sure their students can pass a standard test? Overall I am very happy with the education my kids received in the public school (they were also homeschooled when they were younger), but some of the stuff they tell me that they do in class just makes me shake my head.

ChrisB":2ujntpva said:
I'm a long way from Texas and this is the first I've heard about this, but after a few minutes searching the internet it seems like some people are making a big deal over nothing. A teacher asking if there were any volunteers that would like to put a berka on doesn't sound like a big deal to me. And the other incident I looked into concerning the Boston Tea Party sounded like an interesting way to get kids to look at things from another perspective.

I would guess the same people that are upset over the berka incident because of what the berka represents are the same people that get upset when the Confederate flag or a cross is removed from a public area because of what it represents. Also, I would guess the people upset with kids looking at the Tea Party through the eyes of the British would be totally fine with an assignment asking the kids to look at the Cival War through the eyes of a plantation owner.

I personally have no problem with my kids considering another perspective or even questioning their beliefs, the thing that bothers me though is that usually in schools and in the media only the liberal side is presented. I think it is better to know why you believe something and be able to defend those beliefs than to simply be presented one side and be told this is the way it is and what you need to believe.

Rip away! :tiphat:

The big deal is all cirriculum must be open to all parent's and taxpayer's to view by Texas law.
The school board's broke the law. Teacher's were forced to sign non disclosure agrrement's on the material.
The Kountze ISD is being sued offer putting Bible verses on football banner and twenty miles down the road at Lumberton ISD they are teaching Islam.
Can't have it both way's

In so far as, the Texas Attorney General's office has stated that the
TESCCC is a governmental body, yet it is using public funds to develop a
product, uses public dollars to pay its employees, yet has no TESCCC
business office, does not post its agenda, does not allow the public into
its meetings, will not allow public access to its minutes, and
In so far as, the TESCCC attempted to silence teachers by imposing a
contract threatening legal action against teachers who allowed parents
to view lesson content, which is in direct violation of Texas Education
Code Chapter 26 E, Section 26.006

If it is alright why are trying to keep it hid.

Yea, I totally agree with you Caustic on the nondisclosure stuff just didn't respond about that. I was more curious as to the curriculum so that is all I looked into. But I guess I missed the part of CSCOPE being developed my TESCCC (which I'm assuming is the state education board or something). I was assuming it was a private company trying to protect their property. :oops:

ChrisB":15ftjji5 said:
Yea, I totally agree with you Caustic on the nondisclosure stuff just didn't respond about that. I was more curious as to the curriculum so that is all I looked into. But I guess I missed the part of CSCOPE being developed my TESCCC (which I'm assuming is the state education board or something). I was assuming it was a private company trying to protect their property. :oops:

That is still under futher investigation as it looks to be a shell company selling material through the Texas School Board.
This is a big mess that the Texas Attorney general is digging into.

I have no problem teaching oppossing view's but we teach all, with parent's and taxpayer knowledge.
You can't teach the Boston Tea Party was conducted by terrorist and the hijacker's that flew into the trade center were Freedom Fighter's.

In so far as, Senators on the Texas Education Committee have deemed
that CSCOPE warrants further investigation for not seeking legal counsel
from the Texas Attorney General's office nor from the Commissioner of
Education at the Texas Education Agency, in 2009 when CSCOPE was
incorporated as a 501(3)(c) non-charitable organization under the Texas
Education Service Center Curriculum Collaborative (TESCCC). It was
stated that when a governmental body seeks to form a 501 (3)(c) ,
TESCCC should have sought legislative authority. None was sought.

A friend who is an elementary school teacher who is pushing for reform said this:

Standardized testing seemed like a good idea when it was started in the late 80's. Now it has made the progress that all government sponsored programs do and has become something that it was never meant to. Now our schools teach to the test and not to learn, we have a state mandated test that is poorly written and sometimes inaccurate, and none of the statistics regarding school performance, post-graduate employ-ability, or college performance have improved.

chippie":3qnp9e5g said:
A friend who is an elementary school teacher who is pushing for reform said this:

Standardized testing seemed like a good idea when it was started in the late 80's. Now it has made the progress that all government sponsored programs do and has become something that it was never meant to. Now our schools teach to the test and not to learn, we have a state mandated test that is poorly written and sometimes inaccurate, and none of the statistics regarding school performance, post-graduate employ-ability, or college performance have improved.

The standardized testing stuff is a joke. In Ohio, where I grew up we took the OGT (Ohio graduation test) as sophomores....kinda makes you wonder what your supposed to do your junior and senior year. You were already taught everything the state requires. :?:

FarmGirl10":2hjfjmj7 said:
chippie":2hjfjmj7 said:

The standardized testing stuff is a joke. In Ohio, where I grew up we took the OGT (Ohio graduation test) as sophomores....kinda makes you wonder what your supposed to do your junior and senior year. You were already taught everything the state requires. :?:

Indiana has ISTEP, and I'd really like to see the questions. The schools are in full panic mode, and teaching to the test. I don't know how many ? or how they shake out. This stuff gets cryptic for the avg citizen

john250":gtj62ynp said:
Indiana has ISTEP, and I'd really like to see the questions. The schools are in full panic mode, and teaching to the test. I don't know how many ? or how they shake out. This stuff gets cryptic for the avg citizen

I don't know about Indiana's but Ohio's is super easy, stuff you learn by junior high.

Chris, if both sides of issues were provided, it would be great but in the current system, it isn't. When I was in high school, my favorite teacher taught both sides of the issue and allowed students to think critically. We talked about creationism and darwanism at that time- compared both. We talked about both views of global warming and discussed the computer models used to predict it. Discussed the "growing hole" in the ozone, and then discussed how it was noted that the hole shrinks in size part of the year depending on the rotation of the earth away from the Sun and it increases in part of the year. Looked at the data that was utilized and duration of the studies (hint: less than a year in length), which was very eye opening for me and allowed me to learn critical thinking and to take nothing at face value. This guy wouldn't be allowed in school now and he was brilliant.

There is a fight right now for control of the classrooms. Controlling the development of children's minds, is drastically important to progressive individuals. That is not opinion, and can be supported by quote after quote. Standardization of classrooms is designed to control the material learned, when you control the material, you have a major impact on development of the views of the children.

Have a family member that just retired after teaching high school math for over 25 years. He will tell you that he covers several chapters worth of material less in the last few years than he did when he started. Kids were pushed harder and learned more then, than now. These were honors classes on down.

My wife has taught 3rd grade here in Oklahoma. They have completely removed science and social studies out of the curriculum and "integrated" it into reading. In other words, there really is no science or social studies instruction now.

I don't know all the answers, but I don't like teaching to a test and I don't like federal ownership of deciding what material will be tested. Control of the school should be at the local level.

http://michellemalkin.com/2013/01/23/ro ... ds-part-1/

I'm going to say it. Kid's are stupid compared to 20 years ago. In the old days, kids learn life skills without parents intervening in their playtime. They learned to be solve problems on their own, both social and academic. Building a tree house was a right of passage. They learned to be good salesman and recyclers for the materials, to try, try again if the engineering didn't work, and last but not least, collaborate to solve problems.

Today, parents do it all. Step in every time their child has a fight with their friends. Refuse to allow them to build without supervision. Can't let anyone get hurt. A few stitches adds character. From personal experience, I learned to let my brothers test the floor 1st.

So many parents are just flat out not parents. They either try to be friends with their children or they just don't care.
I feel sorry for the teachers today.
Some of the schools that we go to that are in the poorer neighborhoods have better behaved students than the new schools in the newer fancier sub-divisions. The children are interested and want to learn, whereas at the schools in higher income neighborhoods, the kids are ill behaved and rude. The teachers try to get them under control, but they don't succeed.
Parents are too busy chasing the all mighty dollar when they should be paying attention to what their children are becoming.

chippie":2xu8yas4 said:
So many parents are just flat out not parents. They either try to be friends with their children or they just don't care.
I feel sorry for the teachers today.
Some of the schools that we go to that are in the poorer neighborhoods have better behaved students than the new schools in the newer fancier sub-divisions. The children are interested and want to learn, whereas at the schools in higher income neighborhoods, the kids are ill behaved and rude. The teachers try to get them under control, but they don't succeed.
Parents are too busy chasing the all mighty dollar when they should be paying attention to what their children are becoming.

Chippie they are chasing a dollar to buy something they don't need to try and impress someone they don't like.

Latest posts