Texans Alamo

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic,

Several years ago I was in San Antino on business for a few days. I took an afternoon off and went to see the Alamo. I was just in awe of the history and the scarifice made at the place.

While walking thru I came to the part where they listed the names of all who fought & died. While reading the list I came upon a name that made the hair on my neck stand up. The name was "James Nowlan" from England. Knowing that my forefathers came from England, this was an eyeopener. My last name is "Nowland" but I do know that often as folks came in off the ships the spelling of their names was often changed to the way it sounded by the fellows making the list of names. This may be a relative of mine, don't know for sure, but hope he was.

Thanks for the reminder.

Nowland Farms":ucw3zvy2 said:
Caustic,

Several years ago I was in San Antino on business for a few days. I took an afternoon off and went to see the Alamo. I was just in awe of the history and the scarifice made at the place.

While walking thru I came to the part where they listed the names of all who fought & died. While reading the list I came upon a name that made the hair on my neck stand up. The name was "James Nowlan" from England. Knowing that my forefathers came from England, this was an eyeopener.

You can do a search for his payment. Most of the family of Alamo comrades received land payment. Those who fought at San Jacinto were paid the same way. Check Texas records for "James Nowlan Survey". You'll probably find that kin or widow claimed the land.

When my son was born. I named him Travis. My wifes parents
asked, was I naming him Travis after lake travis or travis county. Nope he carries the name Travis for WILLIAM B. TRAVIS. Sorry for shouting.

Never been to The Alamo but went to Gettyburg a couple of years ago. Could feel the ghosts of the many brave men who died there. Stood at the Union fenceline and looked out over the field where Pickett's charge came from. Could almost see the hundreds of bodies that littered that field 140 years before.

Stood at the exact same spot where Lincoln gave the Gettyburg address. It was very moving and I'm sure I would feel the same things at The Alamo.

VanC said:
Never been to The Alamo but went to Gettyburg a couple of years ago. Could feel the ghosts of the many brave men who died there. Stood at the Union fenceline and looked out over the field where Pickett's charge came from. Could almost see the hundreds of bodies that littered that field 140 years before.

Yeah.....(sigh), if General Lee had just listened to Longstreet that day, you would have had to have a passport to come down here. :) ;-) :cboy:

R.T.":2tnqjnaa said:
When my son was born. I named him Travis. My wifes parents
asked, was I naming him Travis after lake travis or travis county. Nope he carries the name Travis for WILLIAM B. TRAVIS. Sorry for shouting.

My uncle that was the Marine that made the beach landings on Iwo jima and Okinawa was William Barret Travis S----- . He was awarded the Navy cross my daughter has his dress blues my Dad dress whites and another uncles that landed at Normandy Dress Army uniforms in a glass case its pretty neat.

Nowland Farms":6t2uh44g said:
Caustic,

While walking thru I came to the part where they listed the names of all who fought & died. While reading the list I came upon a name that made the hair on my neck stand up. The name was "James Nowlan" from England. Knowing that my forefathers came from England, this was an eyeopener. My last name is "Nowland" but I do know that often as folks came in off the ships the spelling of their names was often changed to the way it sounded by the fellows making the list of names. This may be a relative of mine, don't know for sure, but hope he was.

Thanks for the reminder.

Nowlan. is an Irish name and if found with a few spellings, by people in the same family, it is how you mentioned the way the cencus man wrote it down as most could not write, I have a Nowland and a Nowslan in my ancestors from Ireland both of the same family.

When you walk through the Alamo, you can feel the history. We vacationed in San Antonio a couple of years ago, and every morning I would walk over to the Alamo before the family woke up. If those walls could talk.

Kind of weird how the city has grown around the Alamo.

Remember the Alamo!!! Caustic, you know Jim Bowie spent some time over here in LA.

Fred":oieyf31q said:
Remember the Alamo!!! Caustic, you know Jim Bowie spent some time over here in LA.

Yeah, but we don't hold that against him!! Just kidding ;-)

I better watch what I say, seeings how I'm fixin to be moving to Houma!!

bullred":phm1xpi5 said:
Fred":phm1xpi5 said:

bullred since you are coming to Louisiana,I would appreciate it if you would come drill me a good producing well to the east of the big river. Could use the $.

cypressfarms":3jnababh said:
When you walk through the Alamo, you can feel the history.

Yes, you can. I had the privelage (sp?) of visiting the Alamo when I was still in high school and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I hope to be able to re-visit it again one day.

I absolutely love San Antomio. I honeymooned there and have been, I don't know, 15 times since I was a kid. If any of you go, take the missions tour. It is great. I didn't do that until last year. I try to stay at the old hotels near the Alamo, that way, you can just walk there any time you want. I took a book with me detailing the battle last year and I would walk around town trying to find where everything happened. My husbacd thought it was a strange way to spend an anniversary, but I really enjoyed myself. All the history, and one of the most romantic places you can visit if you do it right.

Ryder":2h2w1mfe said:
bullred":2h2w1mfe said:
Fred":2h2w1mfe said:

bullred since you are coming to Louisiana,I would appreciate it if you would come drill me a good producing well to the east of the big river. Could use the $.

Well I don't make any guarantees about the production, but we can dang sure drill the hole!

Yes,"Remember the Alamo", its a shame that our crooks in goverment dont. The Alamo and San Jacinto are no longer p.c.,Its Cinco De Miyo, or how ever you spell that crap. Thats one of the reasons our borders are flooded with wetbacks. Not saying that these folks are not hard working, but they need to stay in Mexico, and make there country work.

Here in Texas they are a drain on our system as we have to educate and provide their health care....... You know there were some hispanic names on that wall in the Alamo. I have to think that they understood that Mexico was corrupt then and it has gotten no better as the years have past. I only hope that before I die that the Mexicans will have their on battle cry. A country with as much natural resources as that country has, should not be a 3rd world _hit hole

Latest posts