Question for Texans...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
So, driving through the lovely state of Texas, I noticed a lot of farms with an oil rig in the yard. Does the homeowner typically own that, or a company?
Just a random thought, we have been driving since 8PM last night... Eager to get to our destination and get cattle unloaded... And saw the drills in yards...

Fire Sweep Ranch":4mu9mwfp said:
So, driving through the lovely state of Texas, I noticed a lot of farms with an oil rig in the yard. Does the homeowner typically own that, or a company?
Just a random thought, we have been driving since 8PM last night... Eager to get to our destination and get cattle unloaded... And saw the drills in yards...
If it was in fact a real oil well, the well belongs to the oil company and the mineral rights belong to the property owner or sometimes to someone else who retained the mineral rights when he sold the surface rigths. The oil company leases the mineral rights and the lease agreement determines what percentage of the production from the well actually goes to the owner of the mineral rights. This can vary from 12.5% to as much as 30% in some exceptional cases. I've never seen one actually in a yard as there are requirements that wells drilled not be within a certain distance of an existing dwelling and/or property line. Maybe they had a 300 acre yard. :lol: :lol:

TB is correct. In some cases the surface land owner also owns the sub-surface (mineral rights). Mineral rights could include rights to oil, natural gas, coal, sulfur and even sand or rocks. The mineral rights owner has a right to the minerals under his surface acreage and COULD produce them if his pockets are deep enough. But as TB said, typically, the surface owner will get a percentage of the resource for allowing a producer to develop the mineral. Sometimes, however, the surface owner has pi$$ed away his mineral rights to someone else. In that case he has no rights to the minerals under his property and may be compensated only for damage to his surface property.

Brute 23":3ayhsyst said:
Haven't yall ever seen Backyard Oil on Discovery Channel? :cowboy:
Guess I missed it. Use to watch one of those reality shows about the West Texas Oil fields. Heard of a guy over in East Texas that tore down his house to get the lignite out from under it back when lignite was the big game in town.

Thanks guys...mi was just wondering.
For the record, OK has some of the worst roads I have ever traveled, and we blew two tires on our trailer that were pretty new and had no problems.
We are currently here in TX, and the humidity is intense compared to MO!!! We are here until Saturday, So if anyone wants to come visit, send me a private message and I will give you our number!!

Fire Sweep Ranch":6ss6ugoa said:
For the record, OK has some of the worst roads I have ever traveled, and we blew two tires on our trailer that were pretty new and had no problems.
We are currently here in TX, and the humidity is intense compared to MO!!! We are here until Saturday, So if anyone wants to come visit, send me a private message and I will give you our number!!

Unless your in the Eastern part of the state you haven't got to the humid part yet.
We are actually having a pretty cool summer temps only in the 90's.
As far as royalties go the most I ever seen was a 32%.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2t4z9z3w said:
There the worst I ever been on.you'd think they would use that toll money to fix them

Caustic Burno":b2hjrwqb said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":b2hjrwqb said:

Unless your in the Eastern part of the state you haven't got to the humid part yet.
We are actually having a pretty cool summer temps only in the 90's.
As far as royalties go the most I ever seen was a 32%.

It has been great this year. It's humid in the mornings but other wise you can still work outside all day.

Brute 23":2r3aj5b1 said:
My grandfather use to drill gas wells on our property with a water well rig. There are stories of land owners all over starting their owns companies and operating them on their property... especially in Texas.
You've probably heard of the New London School explosion caused by using gas directly from the well. This may have been the event that led to companies adding the "Odor" to gas.

http://nlsd.net/index2.html

TexasBred":3rcs0ayl said:
Brute 23":3rcs0ayl said:
My grandfather use to drill gas wells on our property with a water well rig. There are stories of land owners all over starting their owns companies and operating them on their property... especially in Texas.
You've probably heard of the New London School explosion caused by using gas directly from the well. This may have been the event that led to companies adding the "Odor" to gas.

http://nlsd.net/index2.html

Very sad. We had a science teacher not allowing students to leave when they all complained of becoming sick in class. A couple students finally started walking out and went to the principal. It was a gas leak. His contract was not renewed.

My grandparents home on the property ran off gas from one of the wells near by. The house was switched to propane years back because it was less hassle. Its not uncommon for home to run off NG from producing wells around here.

Latest posts