• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peg4x4

Reaction score
"They" are talking about haveing people tested whenever they renew DL.. Personaly,I wouldn't mind..You see'if you're slipping,you won't know it..I don't want to be a danger to myself and others..

I know that if they started doing this, it would mean the end of Dad's driving. He doesn't need to drive anymore anyway, and he's about ready to give it up. Still I know that it would be a major blow to his independence. He hasn't driven at night for about the last 7 years. He gave up pulling the camper at the same time. But he still drive to Fort Worth to the doctor. By the time we find out about it, it is too late.

My grandfather lived to 97 yr. and passed holding a valid drivers license. I loved the man, but he couldn't drive anything but a mule. The family has to step up. Mine didn't. Except we paid his insurance. He could have hired a limo for every mile for what his insurance cost. Oh well.

peg4x4":664mwqvx said:
"You see'if you're slipping,you won't know it...

I'm not sure I believe that, peg, I'm not even elderly(well, maybe by some standards I am. :lol: ) and I know what my limits are. Most of the elderly people I know are fully aware when they are not 100% behind the wheel and compensate accordingly. I would be willing to bet that young drivers(25 and below) pose way more risk than the elderly do. What is being done to 'test' them?

A few years ago the insurance companies here in Alberta were talking about that. Our premier King Ralph said that he wasn't going to put it in because he felt he would fail if he had to retake the DL test. Personally I don't do enough parellel parking (OK, I NEVER parellel park and will avoid it at all costs) to want to take the test again. :oops:

See,I'm judgeing by my father..at first he knew he didn't drive like he usta,but ,as things progressed,he thought he drove better than anybody..After 3 wrecks,everything that would drive got "broken",or loaned out..And we were gonna take it in/get it back next week..

Do I like the idea? No. Does it need to be done? Yea probably.

The biggest problems I see are the added cost and the time waiting in line and then waiting to be processed thru the system. I can't see them getting away with making it an age thing. I can't image anyone wanting to open up that can of lawsuit worms.Z

Everybody every 10 years?? There were some more kids ran over by a guy that thought the gas was the brakes!! :( :mad: :x Think it was in Texas :(

msscamp":2336ejra said:
peg4x4":2336ejra said:

I'm not sure I believe that, peg, I'm not even elderly(well, maybe by some standards I am. :lol: ) and I know what my limits are. Most of the elderly people I know are fully aware when they are not 100% behind the wheel and compensate accordingly. I would be willing to bet that young drivers(25 and below) pose way more risk than the elderly do. What is being done to 'test' them?

Once again age bias comes into play. Its only when parents turn their kids loose to reek havoc with no fear of consequences and no rules that you get into the younger drivers being really bad. So actually the older is to blame in alot of situations. I have to say the elderly are worse, as I've had several close calls with them and they normally are too stubborn or have that intense resentment of younger people that many people on this board display .

OH LORDY!!! I can remember when I was first driveing!! :oops: It's an absolute ,positive wonder I'm here today to fuss 'bout those "whippersnappers" :p Never had a wreck,don't know howcome.. :???: :roll:
But,my father had "senile dementia",and when he broke his leg,was gonna sneak out of the hospital,walking,on a broke leg,cause when he wasn't standing on it,it didn't [/i]hurt.He did so many things,and I'm afraid I'm gonna wind up just like him. :(

Cow_Town":26i1sepb said:
msscamp":26i1sepb said:
peg4x4":26i1sepb said:

Once again age bias comes into play. Its only when parents turn their kids loose to reek havoc with no fear of consequences and no rules that you get into the younger drivers being really bad. So actually the older is to blame in alot of situations. I have to say the elderly are worse, as I've had several close calls with them and they normally are too stubborn or have that intense resentment of younger people that many people on this board display .

Whoa now, wait a minute!!! :shock: My statement was because of the incidence of young people talking on cell phones, looking at their friends while driving instead of the road, a lack of experience to know how to handle situations that come up while driving, etc - not because of some sort of resentment. Everyone has to start somewhere, and we will all be faced with this eventually. I sorry, but I fail to see why the way a kid was raised would make him or her better equipped to handle certain situations while behind the wheel. Perhaps you could elaborate on that? Or did I simply misunderstand your statement? Thank you. I've had just as many close calls with young drivers as I have with older drivers, but maybe that's just the area - I don't know.

It could very well be the area your in. You cant rule that one out. When parents make there kids actually pay for their own vehicle and pay the insurance as well but still take it away if they screw up, ie. ticket,bad grades, hanging out with the wrong croud etc. it tends to help. I know it helped me tremedously. I'm 28, I've had one accident and that was when I was 16. I learned quickly what it took to avoid that happening again. I also had my truck parked and my Dad kept the keys a couple times for not making curfew or bad grades and that also had me learning quick. The point is, that rarely happens anymore, and I truly believe if it did happen, you wouldnt have near as many kids racing, running from the cops etc. I have to say that the elderly driving sometimes scares the heebie jeebies outta me, after some of the stunts I've seen them pull. Ok, I'm officially off the soapbox now.

MillIronQH":1y89afjs said:
Do I like the idea? No. Does it need to be done? Yea probably.

The biggest problems I see are the added cost and the time waiting in line and then waiting to be processed thru the system. I can't see them getting away with making it an age thing. I can't image anyone wanting to open up that can of lawsuit worms.Z
Logistical nightmare.
Never saw the need in them anyway. I drove for years before I had a license. After I got a license I didn't drive one bit better. Can't see it did any good at all.

Cow_Town":2ucybg1z said:
It could very well be the area your in. You cant rule that one out. When parents make there kids actually pay for their own vehicle and pay the insurance as well but still take it away if they screw up, ie. ticket,bad grades, hanging out with the wrong croud etc. it tends to help. I know it helped me tremedously. I'm 28, I've had one accident and that was when I was 16. I learned quickly what it took to avoid that happening again. I also had my truck parked and my Dad kept the keys a couple times for not making curfew or bad grades and that also had me learning quick. The point is, that rarely happens anymore, and I truly believe if it did happen, you wouldnt have near as many kids racing, running from the cops etc. I have to say that the elderly driving sometimes scares the heebie jeebies outta me, after some of the stunts I've seen them pull. Ok, I'm officially off the soapbox now.

Thank you. :) You make some very good points, and I agree with you.

Latest posts