Temporary electric fencing for rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr":wwgatc47 said:
The gripple is looking neater and neater. My longest fence run is probably no longer than 1500 feet. Sounds like I have several options. If I can fence without a loop then it will be fairly straightforward.

I guess I will be fine just stretching with a gripple on both ends without having to terminate and restrech at intermediate spots along the 1500 feet?

I don't really need the cattle to have access to the stream but the way things are right now in one pasture, the stream naturally divides the property line between a neighbour and me. I doubt that the pagewire fence that is run right in the middle along the stream will be challenged. Its been this way for a long long time. If I need to fence for some reason then I will fence along the banks. No point in me adding an extra fence unless I need it.

You might want to run just a single electric wire on maybe temporary step in posts along the stream. there are benfits to keeping the cattl out of the stream and off of the stream banks. A temp wire could easily be reeled up for access for mowing etc when needed.

If you put a Gripple on each end of a 1500 ft run you will have no need to do anything between the ends. I like to use them on both ends so it is more convenient to tighten when needed. The only drawback is cost. The Gripple costs maybe 75 cents ea but in a smaller installation and with the other hassles and equipment saved this is maybe not significant. Good luck. Jim

Jim

SRBeef":1wce3w0y said:
You might want to run just a single electric wire on maybe temporary step in posts along the stream. there are benfits to keeping the cattl out of the stream and off of the stream banks. A temp wire could easily be reeled up for access for mowing etc when needed.

In my area, there is a real push toward Zero Point Source Polution, and keeping the livestock out of streams and water ways is highly recomended. If that is there only source of drinking water, then limit their access. I keep my girls fenced out of my streams.

Latest posts