Tell me what you think!

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
This is a couple of cow calf pairs I picked up cheap late spring. Both mommas are gert x char. Bull was pure char
they were born March 15 and 16th. Do the calves look worth keeping or to the butcher? I have already exposed mommas back to char bull, what other recommnedations for future bulls would you have? Also do you have any idea of weight based of picture
Phone91511007.jpg

Phone91511014.jpg

Phone91511010.jpg

Phone91511006.jpg

If you like the cows, the heifers are as good as or better than they are, you have the feed, and you are not in a hurry to expand your herd then keep the heifers.
If you have any bull calves cut them and feed them out and eat them or sell them.

Personally I doubt I would keep 3/4 charolais heifers for replacements, but I really like the cows you bought. For terminal calves I don't think you can beat a charolais bull.

hillsdown":n92g5vin said:
How old are the cows ?
Cows are 4. They were born 1 day apart as well. I have thought about the AI red angus bull. That would be a good 3 way cross. I bought the cows from my uncle the cows are from my granddads original herd. He had pure gert cows and char bull. What we can't figure out is how one has the bald face? Can anyone explain? They have also had calves the same color as them. The yellow or cream calf does well here. I am trying to grow a herd. I am trying to decide if keeping them for cows is worth it or if I would be better of selling and buying red 3 in 1. Local cow man says need red cow white bull.

I would listen to the folks around with experience on what works/sells in your area and go in that direction.

Hard for me at times to judge a calf's weight standing in front of me. Harder yet in a picture. I'd only quess the white calf in the 600# range. Good luck with your new herd.

fitz

snickers":kxe7q6dr said:
in the first picture what are those weeds called? we have some of those and they are harder than heck to get rid of.

Looks like perilla mint. Very invasive weed (smothers every thing else out) and toxic to livestock. They have enough sense not to eat it. I use 2-4-D with no residual effect. Stuff has approx. 25 yr. seed bank.

fitz

midtncattle":1tlrln5h said:
hillsdown":1tlrln5h said:
How old are the cows ?
Cows are 4. They were born 1 day apart as well. I have thought about the AI red angus bull. That would be a good 3 way cross. I bought the cows from my uncle the cows are from my granddads original herd. He had pure gert cows and char bull. What we can't figure out is how one has the bald face? Can anyone explain? They have also had calves the same color as them. The yellow or cream calf does well here. I am trying to grow a herd. I am trying to decide if keeping them for cows is worth it or if I would be better of selling and buying red 3 in 1. Local cow man says need red cow white bull.

If you can get some 3 in ones like those gals ,I would say that is a good way to go. Nice cows and calves . :D

Latest posts