Tell me what you do and don't like about these breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

I commend you for you photographic memory and I take it as a compliment that out of all the pics that are posted on here, you remembered mine, especially since I only posted only about 4 or 5 pics about 3 or 4 years ago. They must really have left an impression on you, good or bad.

Take you a little drive down to Parkdale AR. Jed look up an old coot name of Dick Avery tell me what you don't like about his cows. I will pm you his address and phone number if you like.

BC,
Here in Tennessee ANYTHING with an ear gets docked. That is just the way it is, it's a guarantee. They can be great looking cattle but will still get docked. Now, if they are all the combos you spoke of ,have no ear influence, and are black......then your looking at money. I get it but I wish it weren't so.

BARNSCOOP":3d2n0afm said:
BC,
Here in Tennessee ANYTHING with an ear gets docked. That is just the way it is, it's a guarantee. They can be great looking cattle but will still get docked. Now, if they are all the combos you spoke of ,have no ear influence, and are black......then your looking at money. I get it but I wish it weren't so.
I have seen some Simmental cross calves have a big ear, bigger than some 1/4 blood or 3/16 blood calves (Brangus or Gert crossed with Hereford). Do those type calves get docked in your area?

jedstivers":1x0tgpcm said:
CKC1586":1x0tgpcm said:
You seem to have left the door open, so I will peek in. I sure don't want to fight.... ;-)
You wanted to know about a breed that does well in the South. A breed that does well in the South is Piedmontese. They have the dark skin pigment and light hair, they do well in dual climates. It would be worth checking this fine breed out.
Thans CKC, didn't think of that one and have never even seen one on those (not lots of cows in my area).
There are breeders in Marshall and Ravenden Springs, if you would like their names let me know.

I have seen some Simmental cross calves have a big ear, bigger than some 1/4 blood or 3/16 blood calves (Brangus or Gert crossed with Hereford). Do those type calves get docked in your area?BC
Rancher
Finally. Someone else has noticed that. :)
We need extra large ears on the cattle in Canada for all the required and optional ear tags. ;-)

BC":1orkxbt0 said:
BARNSCOOP":1orkxbt0 said:
BC,
I have seen some Simmental cross calves have a big ear, bigger than some 1/4 blood or 3/16 blood calves (Brangus or Gert crossed with Hereford). Do those type calves get docked in your area?
im in the same market area as barnscoop above I20, we can get away rasing little or no ear that cross on the two breed is great here as for as making replacements, but their gonna get docked, as steers maybe as much a 10 cents pound less,

alacattleman":3251p7xe said:
http://marketnews.usda.gov/gear/browseby/txt/MG_LS143.TXT look at the calves as far as i know they have just recently started putting brahmanX out beside the calf

Ouch.

Frankie":3niph970 said:
alacattleman":3niph970 said:
http://marketnews.usda.gov/gear/browseby/txt/MG_LS143.TXT look at the calves as far as i know they have just recently started putting brahmanX out beside the calf

Ouch.
you''ll also notice the absence of steer's, something else that they have too deal with.

Brahman cows are in big demand as are the F-1 heifers they produce. I have not seen any weakening in the market at all. You will take a big hit as far as cull bulls and steers. Calves from the F-1 mommas are holding their own at the sale barn. Feed lots like them during the hot weather we are having.
Personally I cannot visulize a better animal than the F-1 Braford for the drought and heat we are getting at this time. They not only tolerate the heat but do well on the limited forage available.

Brahman cattle (cattle with too much ear) do get docked in TN. You can look at sale results and see it noted beside the lower prices in many sale reports.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2dnr9759 said:
Big ears are a trait of the Simmental breed. But, they are very distinguishable from Brahman ears as they are set high on the head & tend to point upward - unlike the Brahman ears.
i raised a few F1 simbrahs all moma's pretty even matched but some looked too carry more brahamn influence some less but all were great mothers, i raised some hefty calves from those cows breed back too simm bulls.

i had a friend that started raising simmentals when they got hot back in the 70s.an when the simbrahs got hot he wanted to breed those.an he asked me about it.an i told him if he did that he would end up with highstrung cows.an he did it.an those calves highstrung.but he still ended up with some simbrahs.an he wished hadnt got into simbrahs because of that.

bigbull338":qe0o2r9u said:
i had a friend that started raising simmentals when they got hot back in the 70s.an when the simbrahs got hot he wanted to breed those.an he asked me about it.an i told him if he did that he would end up with highstrung cows.an he did it.an those calves highstrung.but he still ended up with some simbrahs.an he wished hadnt got into simbrahs because of that.
F1 simbrah's as with braford are prone too be a alittle hot.if you don't do some heavy selecting ... years ago we went too look at some that were penned up. their flight zone must have been a 1/4 mile cause they looked like deer when they seen us coming. they cleared the corral like it wasnt there.. the manager of the place hated em ,,but the doctors money was good

alacattleman":2ytho48q said:

They have been doing that for at least a couple of years now. It really helps explain the range. Otherwise you can get a 10-12 cent range in the same weight, gender, and muscle score at the same yard and date and you are wondering what the flip happened that day.

Latest posts