• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tell me what you do and don't like about these breeds

jedstivers

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
5,787
Reaction score
1
Location
Marianna Arkansas (East Central)
hopefully without a fight. Red Brangus (with what % of each), Santa Gertrudis, Simmental, Brahma (probably crossed with Hereford, I love tiger stripes) or anything good for the South. Almost forget Beefmasters.
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
You seem to have left the door open, so I will peek in. I sure don't want to fight.... ;-)
You wanted to know about a breed that does well in the South. A breed that does well in the South is Piedmontese. They have the dark skin pigment and light hair, they do well in dual climates. It would be worth checking this fine breed out.
 

jedstivers

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
5,787
Reaction score
1
Location
Marianna Arkansas (East Central)
CKC1586":16oxwivg said:
You seem to have left the door open, so I will peek in. I sure don't want to fight.... ;-)
You wanted to know about a breed that does well in the South. A breed that does well in the South is Piedmontese. They have the dark skin pigment and light hair, they do well in dual climates. It would be worth checking this fine breed out.
Thans CKC, didn't think of that one and have never even seen one on those (not lots of cows in my area).
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
red brangus good as black, but >>" IN MY AREA'<<< if you don't market them right they take the brahmanX route and get docked
 

BC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
2,486
Reaction score
4
Location
Van Zandt County, TX
All the Brahman influenced cows will work very well in the South especiially when bred to a growthy English type bull. If red meat yield is your game, then use a continental bull.

In my part of the world a Brahman influenced female (whether she is a Beefmaster, Red Brangus, Black Brangus, Santa Gertrudis or tiger stripe) is the way to go. How you mate her is what is important.
 

BARNSCOOP

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeastern,TN. USA
What I don't like about those breeds is the ear. Which would dock you big if you sold them at a stockyard in my area. But if you had a operation that didn't require you sell at the stockyard then ALL those breeds are good for the southern USA. Also, some of those breeds come in black which is good because it is very popluar . However some will come with other colors which in my area would get you docked again.
What your operation is doing will determine if those breeds are good or bad for YOU. Great qualities can be had in them all and... serious drawbacks.
 

Santas and Duhram Reds

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
0
Location
www.missourimeadows.com
Beefmasters pro: growthy, hearty cattle; con: little to no uniformity, can be too large in frame

Brangus pro: color; con: finer boned, inconsistant performance

Red Brangus: no personal experience, will not comment

Santa Gertrudis: pro: growthy hearty cattle, uniformity; con: name seems exotic to some, can be too large in frame
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
Santas and Duhram Reds":pgthxxr3 said:
Beefmasters pro: growthy, hearty cattle; con: little to no uniformity, can be too large in frame

Brangus pro: color; con: finer boned, inconsistant performance

Red Brangus: no personal experience, will not comment

Santa Gertrudis: pro: growthy hearty cattle, uniformity; con: name seems exotic to some, can be too large in frame
do you have any data on this.... they may be finer boned than gerts, which really don't mean a whole lot in comparison of the two, but performance?
 

BC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
2,486
Reaction score
4
Location
Van Zandt County, TX
BARNSCOOP":2v8u229c said:
What I don't like about those breeds is the ear. Which would dock you big if you sold them at a stockyard in my area. But if you had a operation that didn't require you sell at the stockyard then ALL those breeds are good for the southern USA. Also, some of those breeds come in black which is good because it is very popluar . However some will come with other colors which in my area would get you docked again.
What your operation is doing will determine if those breeds are good or bad for YOU. Great qualities can be had in them all and... serious drawbacks.

Brangus and Santa Gertrudis are 3/8 Brahman, Beefmasters are 1/2, Red Brangus can be 1/4 to 3/4 either way. When you breed that type cow to and English or Continental bull - the resulting calf will be 3/16 to 1/4 Brahman influenced. That calf will not be docked in the south. Maybe from the middle of Oklahoma north you get a discount on a 1/4 blood, but not along the Red River south.. It is funny how 1/8 blood more from 1/4 to 3/8 can make a big difference in price.

I frequent sale barns all over East Texas 1/4 Brahman or less calves will fit most everyones' orders. Maybe that is because they know in this part of the world it is nearly impossible to find a calf without some "eared' influence in its background.
 

Santas and Duhram Reds

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
0
Location
www.missourimeadows.com
The data was in the calves that I raised. Granted it was a very small pool. We once had several (approx. 15 at one point) Brangus cows heavily influenced with Brinks breeding. We kept them for about 5 years. Not looking for a fight, just relaying my experiences with the breed. The thread asked what I liked and didn't like. Based on personal experience, I did not like the performance of my Brangus herd I had on the side. I got rid of them. Replaced them with Beefmasters. I like the Beefmasters since the performed similarly to that of my Gert herd however the lack of uniformity eventually led me to phase them out as well. This may be a petty reason to phase out a breed, but no more petty than liking an animal because it is black such as Brangus.


edit: I will agree that Charolais make an impressive phenotype calf when cross with ANY American breed. However, I prefer to cross them with British breeds.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
Santas and Duhram Reds":2wai87gu said:
The data was in the calves that I raised. Granted it was a very small pool. We once had several (approx. 15 at one point) Brangus cows heavily influenced with Brinks breeding. We kept them for about 5 years. Not looking for a fight, just relaying my experiences with the breed. The thread asked what I liked and didn't like. Based on personal experience, I did not like the performance of my Brangus herd I had on the side. I got rid of them. Replaced them with Beefmasters. I like the Beefmasters since the performed similarly to that of my Gert herd however the lack of uniformity eventually led me to phase them out as well. This may be a petty reason to phase out a breed, but no more petty than liking an animal because it is black such as Brangus.
you got too raise what the market wants, no matter how petty it seem's too a person , as long as they keep greasing my palms i'll keep raising em.. not gonna cut my own throat on count of color
 

Santas and Duhram Reds

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
0
Location
www.missourimeadows.com
alacattleman":3oifp7un said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":3oifp7un said:
The data was in the calves that I raised. Granted it was a very small pool. We once had several (approx. 15 at one point) Brangus cows heavily influenced with Brinks breeding. We kept them for about 5 years. Not looking for a fight, just relaying my experiences with the breed. The thread asked what I liked and didn't like. Based on personal experience, I did not like the performance of my Brangus herd I had on the side. I got rid of them. Replaced them with Beefmasters. I like the Beefmasters since the performed similarly to that of my Gert herd however the lack of uniformity eventually led me to phase them out as well. This may be a petty reason to phase out a breed, but no more petty than liking an animal because it is black such as Brangus.
you got too raise what the market wants, no matter how petty it seem's too a person , as long as they keep greasing my palms i'll keep raising em.. not gonna cut my own throat on count of color

Color fads come and go, performance, on the other hand, will never go out of style in my books. I guess one just needs to set their priorities and stick to them.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
Santas and Duhram Reds":29jeo44j said:
alacattleman":29jeo44j said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":29jeo44j said:
The data was in the calves that I raised. Granted it was a very small pool. We once had several (approx. 15 at one point) Brangus cows heavily influenced with Brinks breeding. We kept them for about 5 years. Not looking for a fight, just relaying my experiences with the breed. The thread asked what I liked and didn't like. Based on personal experience, I did not like the performance of my Brangus herd I had on the side. I got rid of them. Replaced them with Beefmasters. I like the Beefmasters since the performed similarly to that of my Gert herd however the lack of uniformity eventually led me to phase them out as well. This may be a petty reason to phase out a breed, but no more petty than liking an animal because it is black such as Brangus.
you got too raise what the market wants, no matter how petty it seem's too a person , as long as they keep greasing my palms i'll keep raising em.. not gonna cut my own throat on count of color

Color fads come and go, performance, on the other hand, will never go out of style in my books. I guess one just needs to set their priorities and stick to them.
you have no idea of my cattles performance. dont even pretend too
 

Santas and Duhram Reds

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
0
Location
www.missourimeadows.com
never claimed to. All I said was the experience I had with the breed was lackluster (despite their pedigrees) and did not compare to the experiences I have had with other American breeds. I also implied that many people choose certain breeds because of color and that this was a petty reason. I said that I have also made decisions based on this petty rationale. I agreed that the Charolais/American breed cross can be very pretty to look at, but I prefer the British breeds when crossing with American breeds. I never attacked your herd. I am sure you raise the best Brangus cattle in all of Alabama. Good for you! Keep up the good work. ;-) But as mentioned before, based on my prior experiences with the breed (maybe it was the Brinks bloodlines from the early 90's, maybe it was the fine bone, maybe it was the pot gutted funnel butt calves, maybe it was the lack of milk, maybe it was the calves having a 250 lb weaning weight spread, or maybe it was the number of times I found them standing in the middle of the pond one of which decided to calve in the pond), I am not interested.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
Santas and Duhram Reds":1x7f3qb7 said:
never claimed to. All I said was the experience I had with the breed was lackluster (despite their pedigrees) and did not compare to the experiences I have had with other American breeds. I also implied that many people choose certain breeds because of color and that this was a petty reason. I said that I have also made decisions based on this petty rationale. I agreed that the Charolais/American breed cross can be very pretty to look at, but I prefer the British breeds when crossing with American breeds. I never attacked your herd. I am sure you raise the best Brangus cattle in all of Alabama. Good for you! Keep up the good work. ;-) But as mentioned before, based on my prior experiences with the breed (maybe it was the Brinks bloodlines from the early 90's, maybe it was the fine bone, maybe it was the pot gutted funnel butt calves, maybe it was the lack of milk, maybe it was the calves having a 250 lb weaning weight spread, or maybe it was the number of times I found them standing in the middle of the pond one of which decided to calve in the pond), I am not interested.
funnel butt thats a hoot,,, they'll sell better then those big red bones with leather hanging on em, plus they breed back in a timely manner, you better hope they got plenty of bone too scrape enough meat too make soup
 

Santas and Duhram Reds

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
0
Location
www.missourimeadows.com
Are you suggesting you know something about my herd performance now? How quickly we go from defense to offense.

Breeding back, in my mind, is a management issue. If you choose to tolerate it then it can affect you bottom line. If you do not wish to mess with it, then read some threads on this board and I am sure you can learn some strategies to handle this issue, regardless of what breed you choose to run.

My cattle are probably heavier bone that yours. My cattle quite possibly could be larger framed than yours as well. My current Santa bull is a frame 7. My Durham Red bull that I am using in a star5 herd is a frame 5. I am working on my frame but refuse to give up the bone. Sorry, I don't know where to begin overcoming fine bone. Maybe you could read up on that as well.

Your black calves may bring more /lb. but that doesn't mean your net dollar is greater. A simple economics class could help you with this.

Come back when you would like to discuss what you have found. 'til then, best wishes.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
Santas and Duhram Reds said:
Are you suggesting you know something about my herd performance now? How quickly we go from defense to offense.

Breeding back, in my mind, is a management issue. If you choose to tolerate it then it can affect you bottom line. If you do not wish to mess with it, then read some threads on this board and I am sure you can learn some strategies to handle this issue, regardless of what breed you choose to run.

My cattle are probably heavier bone that yours. My cattle quite possibly could be larger framed than yours as well. My current Santa bull is a frame 7. My Durham Red bull that I am using in a star5 herd is a frame 5. I am working on my frame but refuse to give up the bone. Sorry, I don't know where to begin overcoming fine bone. Maybe you could read up on that as well.

Your black calves may bring more /lb. but that doesn't mean your net dollar is greater. that a simple economics class could help you with this.

Come back when you would like to discuss what you have found. 'til then, best wishes.[/quote] what i did find was some picture's of your herd you posted awhile back, ive seen plenty of cattle like your's enough too know a simple economic class wouldnt be neccesary. any one can see a money pit
 

Santas and Duhram Reds

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
0
Location
www.missourimeadows.com
That's odd. The pictures are so old I can't seem to access them anymore. How did you? I did find a thread in the process of trying to recover a few to remember what pics I have posted on here. These people didn't seem to think they were a money pit.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37920

But everyone has a different opinion.

If you could post some of the pictures you saw so I know what you are referring to and then tell me what you feel their faults are, I would appreciate it.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
Santas and Duhram Reds":2v1uy44u said:
That's odd. The pictures are so old I can't seem to access them anymore. How did you? I did find a thread in the process of trying to recover a few to remember what pics I have posted on here. These people didn't seem to think they were a money pit.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37920

But everyone has a different opinion.

If you could post some of the pictures you saw so I know what you are referring to and then tell me what you feel their faults are, I would appreciate it.
i seen em then, thats was enough for me, not gonna insult you anymore, spect you to do the same.. you wanna raise gerts knock yourself out,
 

Latest posts

Top