tell me about a 1997 f150 4.6 litre

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
A friend of mine texted me today about a 1997 F-150, 5 spd manual regular cab with 96,000 miles on it. I haven't asked about price on it yet or even seen a picture of it but does anyone know anything about that particular truck?

If you want power it is not what your looking for but pretty durable. I have had several of that vintage with well over 225,000 miles. Biggest reason they fail is not changing the oil regularly they have a screen in the oil pump that gets stopped up and starves them. They are reasonable on fuel for a Ford but if you are used to Chevy mileage you will think it is a gas hog. Those 5 spd. are geared pretty high that may help but I doubt it. Overall I really like those trucks for comfort and easy keeping. I have an 05' now that I am not that big of fan of and looking to unload for one that is 03' or older.

Those early 4.6s are pretty solid. As mentioned the gearing in those 5 speeds is pretty crappy for truck stuff.

97 was the first year of the rounded body style and modular engines.

If its a 300 6 cylinder that was a good engine.
It isn't. 96 was the last year of the 300 in line. 97 was the first year of the new body stye in 150's and Ford killed the 300 and started using the v 6's. In the 250s an 350s, the old body style was used and you could get the 300 in it. There were no 98 250s and 350s. Wen the new Super Duty's came out, they were all 99 models. IMO the 300 in=line 6 was the best motpor Ford ever made. The things were indestructible. There was no such thing as an experienced 300 mechanic.

I had a F150 with a 302 motor and 5 speed manual. I put maybe 100k on it with not many problems and the person I sold it to ran it several more years. It would pull the 16 feet cattle trailer loaded fairly good. It got around 15-16 mpg and a pretty nice truck. It was simple unlike the new ones with the extra EPA additions and electronics to maintain. If it had the 300 6 cylinder motor I would probably still have it.

I had a F150 with a 302 motor and 5 speed manual. I put maybe 100k on it with not many problems and the person I sold it to ran it several more years. It would pull the 16 feet cattle trailer loaded fairly good. It got around 15-16 mpg and a pretty nice truck. It was simple unlike the new ones with the extra EPA additions and electronics to maintain. If it had the 300 6 cylinder motor I would probably still have it.
I had a 95 with the 300 six and a 95 with a 302. The 302 got much better mileage, and was faster. Those were bullet proof engines as well...the 302. But that 300 would pull anything you could hook it to. A LOT more torque.

I had a '97 f150 with the 4.6 V8. It was a good enough little truck. Pretty light to try to do anything resembling real work though.

I had a 95 with the 300 six and a 95 with a 302. The 302 got much better mileage, and was faster. Those were bullet proof engines as well...the 302. But that 300 would pull anything you could hook it to. A LOT more torque.
I had an 80 and 88 model with 300 six . Those engines had a lot of torque for back in the day .

Sounds like a good buy depending on price.
The price seems to be pretty much in-line with most trucks same model and year. It is 4wd. AC works. Not many other options, just a bare bones truck.
The big problem is that it is located in Colorado and I'm in Texas but current owner has offered to drive it down and I pay for his plane ticket back to Denver, which works for me. I need to find out if it has cruise control or not because of problems with my right leg and hip. I need to be able to move my right leg around pretty often on any trip more than driving around town. It does have a scratch down the right side but that isn't an issue to me.

20230515_102526[1005].jpg

It's been awhile since I was in a Ford truck. Might be hard to tell, but does the steering wheel appear to have cruise control buttons on it?
20230515_101637_resized_2.jpg
20230515_112217-2.jpg

My intended use is a daily driver here in Central Texas, with occasional trips back to East Texas and.... a project vehicle for me. And, I am familiar with the spark plug problems on some 4.6 engines.
Would prefer a truck with a back seat but that's not a deal breaker either.

Last edited:
I've got a 2000 4.6 that I bought new. Over 250k on it now. It had some sensor put on the transmission at under 500 miles, a fuel pump around a 150k, and a couple rounds of plugs/coil packs. The first battery lasted 14 years, the second is 9 years old now. Lot's of little issues I haven't fixed but nothing major (like the odometer intermittently displaying. It's still counting but you can't always see it). I don't put many miles on it now or I'd replace some stuff for reliability sake. Mines 2wd, so this may not apply - it's been aligned twice and if you get on a straight road with not much crown you don't have to touch the wheel. Tracks straighter than anything I've ever driven. I think I got lucky and it was built just after the UAW got a raise or something, but you couldn't have asked for any better...other than the bodystyle. Man they're ugly.

It's encouraging that the seller will drive it down to you.

Nice looking pickup for the year model.