JD 1997 5200 tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a used 5200 2wd 46 hp tractor for my ranch in Coleman county.
I don't get out there much, I just need something to shred and drag a plow with.
It has a front end loader.
I read there have been problems breaking spindles on the 2wd with a front loader.
Can anyone vouch for this model good or bad?
Thanks.

Not sure about the spindles, but I have friends that have a 5205 and 5210 both have 5k+ hours. No major issues. They use them every day.

Built miles of commercial chain link fence with one in the 90s. I don't remember how many hours but it was a lot. We were very hard on that tractor and the only problem we ever had was breaking the piece where the top link pin goes. Actually it's a lot more than a piece lol. We where running a danhauser auger with homemade hydraulic down pressure. Very "off label".. mine was one of the most dependable tractors I've owned.

I bought a JX 75 case IH in 2004 new, 2wd with a front loader.
I broke 2 spindles on it just plowing without anything in the bucket.
When I read up on some reviews they mentioned the same thing with this model.
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I have a 2wd 5210 which is basically the same tractor. It has 2400 approx. hours and I can't remember have a problem. The front spindles look pretty solid, but with a loader and plenty of weight any of them can be destroyed. I had problems with a MF285 front spindles, but it carried a many heavy loads and fed sileage with it for years.

hVsC5kE.jpg

I was at my ranch in Coleman county this past weekend and ran across a New Holland TN55S 2000 year model, I don't know how many hrs it was faded too much to be able to see.
The guy used it to move rolls with mostly and had it out in the sun a lot.
It runs good doesn't smoke, it's easy to haul
Just what I was looking for out there.
I need just enough to pull a shredder and a small 6' offset plow to plant a few patches of wheat in the fall.
I'll try to post a video.
Does anyone have experience with this tractor? What I could find is good,and the price I got it for is really good.

Latest posts