Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259":3af09kbo said:
elkwc":3af09kbo said:
Pics aren't the best but from what I've seen you got a great buy.

Interesting. If this is a great buy - what do you think he's worth? $2000? $3000? A non-parentage non-epd bull in my area would get about $1 per lb - maybe less.
He knows who the sire and dam is. So IMO not a non parentage bull. EPD's don't mean much here nor do papers. I know several selling commercial raised Bulls and most are selling for 3,500-6,000 with one that brought ten thousand. When you run their progeny through the sale barn it is quality and performance that determines the price.

angus9259":2cfg8g1e said:
elkwc":2cfg8g1e said:

Interesting. If this is a great buy - what do you think he's worth? $2000? $3000? A non-parentage non-epd bull in my area daleballwould get about $1 per lb - maybe less.

You can buy them all day long here through the sale barn for less than a dollar a pound. Good looking yearling bulls its buyer beware of course as you have no clue on EPDs or BSE.

His worth is what you can for him at the at the salebarn no different than any other commercial operations bull.

elkwc":3b1umn6p said:
angus9259":3b1umn6p said:
elkwc":3b1umn6p said:

Interesting. If this is a great buy - what do you think he's worth? $2000? $3000? A non-parentage non-epd bull in my area would get about $1 per lb - maybe less.
He knows who the sire and dam is. So IMO not a non parentage bull. EPD's don't mean much here nor do papers. I know several selling commercial raised Bulls and most are selling for 3,500-6,000 with one that brought ten thousand. When you run their progeny through the sale barn it is quality and performance that determines the price.

Well great news for him then! If I just bought a bull for $1600 that I could sell for $3500-6000 I'd be on selling that bull before he died or got broke :banana:

Where are you from that commercial raised bulls are getting that much?

angus9259":18oly5ss said:
elkwc":18oly5ss said:
angus9259":18oly5ss said:

Well great news for him then! If I just bought a bull for $1600 that I could sell for $3500-6000 I'd be on selling that bull before he died or got broke :banana:

Where are you from that commercial raised bulls are getting that much?
The commercial bulls here in Texas were going for $2000-$3000 when I bought him. At the auction it is beef price but you dont really get a chance to talk to the owners or get a good history on them and only the meat packers bid on them around my area. From the cattle sales groups on Facebook and craigslist, Texas private cattle sales seem higher then other states. I see cheaper prices in other states then compared to here. Thats private sales, not auction.

My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.

ricebeltrancher":1ciqueev said:
My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.

Very well said.

ricebeltrancher":3ur97rde said:
Well stated. Summarizes my thoughts. EPD's doesn't make a bull. So many are low accuracy that most of the very successful well respected commercial breeders in this area don't use them. They like me like to see actual BW,WW and YW. And knowing the sire and at least the sire of the dam are good but not required by many. And some of those selling non papered bulls provide at least part of these.

ricebeltrancher":3b8o8zhh said:
Thank you. I appreciate that.

ricebeltrancher":jhrchlh3 said:
Well said :clap: (BK9954) Next time around buy a bull from Ricebeltrancher they have some great Brangus.

Updating an old post. Got the first 2 calves of the year from that brangus bull. The positives, both were very low birthweight and have plenty of ear. The negative is the steer got his sires hind end, it's too early to see the heifer, and they both came out brown, but hopefully they shed darker. The motley face out of a tigerstripe cow, the small heifer out of a commercial brangus cross cow. The brangus bull got REALLY aggressive with me so he went to the sale and I replaced him with this registered hereford. Really couldn't afford him but in life you pay for what you get. This bull should add some back the the next set of calves

ALACOWMAN":2iik201x said:
BK9954":2iik201x said:
I,am still beefing him of with groceries
you might be fattening him, but the beef part comes from the parents...he doesn't look the role of a moma maker.
In the update above the brangus went to the sale, he chased me twice. I should have sold him after the first. All of his offspring will be going to market in the spring.

From a breeder called "Lee Herefords" here in Tx. He has genetics all the way from Canada and Australia, AI'S and shares interest in some premium bulls. His herd was so perfect, all of his cows had perfect udders and eyes, even the 12 year olds. He knows his stuff and knows a lot of breeders. This bull was probably low cost as registered guys might say but for my cost he was high. His grandmother and mother were good looking.

EPD'S and genetics. Doesn't mean a "whole" lot(with the low Acc) until I start getting his calves, then I will see how the investment pays off. It's better then taking a shot in the dark on a commercial. From what I can tell he is out of the Domino/Perfect Timing bloodline by researching his bloodline. His name is "night rider" but I call him Duke. Night rider would seem appropriate for a black bull, like the car was.

Kingfisher":oqkaqg6a said:
I think "night rider" is like you won't see him breed during the day...:)
Yeah the name doesn't fit him. He has bred the tigerstripe already in the middle of the Texas heat. He has been a very gentle bull with me and my kids, it's one of the things I likes about him.

Latest posts