Swollen vagina from breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Found a cow with a swollen vagina with some of the interior portion showing. Maybe 4 x 6" of protrusion or so. The bull has been in with them for 14 days now. I have to think it's from being bred and maybe cause some irritation and swelling since she is well past calving.

Didn't get any pics.
My first thought was it was a prolapse. If it is, it's not bad at all. The timing doesn't make any sense except for the breeding.
Thanks for setting my mind at ease guys. First time I've seen it in a cow

Hook it could possibly something like a vaginal cyst which I think is what M5's picture is of. Just a fluid filled cyst of the vaginal wall they tend to protrude when they lie down. They often burst by themselves or can be incised but usually just left and they sort themselves out. They usually calve and breed OK with them but I guess they eventually burst themselves. I had a cow with one I noticed for about 2 years, she is about to calve at the moment and haven't noticed it protruding, I guess it must have burst.
Ken

Nesikep":2ctc2veo said:
M5.. was it really necessary to get THAT close for that picture??? Thanks for the warning!
Sorry nesi I didn't know cow people were sensitive to these kind of pics.
Ken, yes it was a cyst that attached to the left wall and went away after a week or 2. Until this happened this past year it was the first one I've seen.

M5farm":1nz3igbk said:
Nesikep":1nz3igbk said:
M5.. was it really necessary to get THAT close for that picture??? Thanks for the warning!
Sorry nesi I didn't know cow people were sensitive to these kind of pics.
Ken, yes it was a cyst that attached to the left wall and went away after a week or 2. Until this happened this past year it was the first one I've seen.

That close, little hard to get full perspective. Should have more of rear end in photo to see relationship... JMO.

Nesikep":1c96oyv5 said:
I wasn't ready for that level of detail!

wbvs58... Are these cysts somewhat hereditary?
Nesi I haven't heard that they are but I think they originate from little secretory glands lining the wall of the vagina so it is possible there could be some slight hereditary predisposition there but it would be very low.
Ken

So is this completely different from vaginal prolapse? I have never seen it around breeding time, more the month before calving, and in bad cases a month after

I have a cow that has a cyst like M5s has, but smaller. Been there the last few years when she is in heat and seems to go away after she is bred for a while.

My first guess would be vaginal prolapse...

Since the history doesn't match, my differentials would be trauma + tissue proliferation, neoplasia (cancer) + tissue proliferation, bladder +/- neoplasia, etc

If was worse today than it was the other day. Vet looked at the picture and he thinks it's a growth and recommended I I watch it for a few more days. I'll catch her up and bring her back to the house where we can keep a better eye on her. At least the chute is there too.

Latest posts