Swiss say you can't put live lobsters in boiling water any more

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2abijva5 said:
zirlottkim":2abijva5 said:
True Grit Farms":2abijva5 said:
Just freeze them then boil them.

That is what we do with shrimp. Quick bath in 35 degree water first, just to numb their senses so they won't feel the freezer burn. All for the least pain possible. Now if someone would come up with a less brutal way to harvest cabbage. I mean really, cutting their head off?? Brutal society we live in.

Come on "Z"...surely you don't think we should pull them up by their root. :shock:
Like carrots?
Poor defenseless little things........Pretty sure I've heard them scream as the little hair roots were pulled loose too.
Nature's a bitch.

HSTexas":3h8uvv4x said:
horses are livestock , there is nothing wrong with eating them.

In America, and especially Texas, we do not eat horses, we ride them. We eat beef.

If you were starving, I can understand if you eat a horse.

Where in the United States can you buy horse meat?

Can't even kill horses in the US unless they finally got the permits for the plant. They get shipped to Canada or Mexico or out on some ship or something. Better to let them die of old age and all the bad dispositioned ones just hang around and be a nusiance (sp?) animal. But hours and hours on trucks isn't cruel to them. Better to put a few thousand down and be able to better take care of the good ones. I like horses, but they are no different than cattle or any other animal.... there are good ones and ones that need to be "culled".

During WWII a lot of city folks that thought they were eating beef really were eating horse. You can;t buy it in the states but you can butcher it yourself. Friend of mine had a big 4th of July barbque every year. Only meat was horse and mule. Wrapped in burlap and cooked in the ground.

Bullitt":1co5zb73 said:
HSTexas":1co5zb73 said:
horses are livestock , there is nothing wrong with eating them.

In America, and especially Texas, we do not eat horses, we ride them. We eat beef.

If you were starving, I can understand if you eat a horse.

Where in the United States can you buy horse meat?
You can usually get plenty for free , you just tell them you have a rescue , kill skin and have a Texas BBQ . After a couple beers people don't care what it is as long as its good.

I have a friend from Nicaragua that ate monkey. He and his friends were trekking through the jungle to escape Communist rule. They were starving. I asked how it was. His response, "Well, we were hungry". Pretty sure their method of killing it would not be approved of by the Swiss.

dun":20cu7s9e said:
callmefence":20cu7s9e said:
I've never ate horse. Sure like to try it.
A horse just looks like it be good eating.
It has a stringier texture then beef more like moose meat. Mule meat was referred to missouri moose when I was younger and horses fell into the same category
This forum has evolved.........from unacceptable to serve goat, to describing the texture of Mr. Ed at an Independence Day gathering. That's okay; I see this as a positive for the future of CT.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73586&hilit=Goat#p870146

HSTexas":3scprpnm said:
You can usually get plenty for free , you just tell them you have a rescue , kill skin and have a Texas BBQ . After a couple beers people don't care what it is as long as its good.

Are you saying you butcher the horse yourself?

I asked where you can buy horse meat in the United States. I do not know of any restaurant that serves horse meat or market that sells horse meat.

If you barbecue a horse in Texas they would probably run you out of the state.

farmerjan":34e5pyjz said:
I like horses, but they are no different than cattle or any other animal.... there are good ones and ones that need to be "culled".

I thought it was illegal to slaughter horses for meat in the United States. So, based on the law, horses are not just like cattle.

Do you eat your dog, cat, or any other animal, since there is no difference in any animal?

Culturally it is not okay to eat horses in the United States, just like it is not alright to eat dogs or cats.

I will say again, I do not trust anyone who knowingly eats horse meat unless that person is in a desperate situation.

Bullitt":znfsbm4h said:
HSTexas":znfsbm4h said:

Are you saying you butcher the horse yourself?

I asked where you can buy horse meat in the United States. I do not know of any restaurant that serves horse meat or market that sells horse meat.

If you barbecue a horse in Texas they would probably run you out of the state.

I have eaten horse a couple times. Knew a guy who was a buyer when there was a kill plant here. I got a few steaks from him. And back when I was riding bucking horses we had a practice horse break its neck. Most of the meat fed my buddy's dogs but we took out the back strap. It is OK. Not my favorite but not bad. I have a SIL who is darn sure a cowboy. People give him crippled horses. He feeds them up for a while and puts them in the freezer. He says the price is right.

It is strictly the emotional that prevents eating horse in the US. It;s common in europe. Different cultures have different views on what they eat. In India cattle are sacred, in some asian countrys dog and cat is regular fair.

All that lean beef we import to mix with our excess beef fat....isn't all beef. Only 140,000 horse's were shipped across our borders for slaughter last year. Mexico produced just under 100,000 TONS of horse meat last year.

I've never met a fellow Texan that questions the meat at the BBQ. All animals are meat and all animals are consumed in the USA. We should lobby our Congress to fund USDA for horse slaughter. If you have an aversion to horse dog or cat . make sure you know who is preparing the meal very well. They might be pulling a fast one .

My wife lived in Brussels for about 5 years when she was a girl (well over 40 years ago). She still talks about how good the French Fries were there. Apparently they were commonly fried in horse fat.

True Grit Farms":342quhud said:
All that lean beef we import to mix with our excess beef fat....isn't all beef. Only 140,000 horse's were shipped across our borders for slaughter last year. Mexico produced just under 100,000 TONS of horse meat last year.
Must have been shipped OUT :

"There are currently no establishments in the United States that slaughter horses, and FSIS does not allow imports of horse meat from other countries for human consumption," said Brian Mabry, USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service in a statement. "None of the countries and companies referenced in the EU export beef to the United States."

David Foster Wallace once went to the Maine Lobster Festival and made some interesting observations surrounding the culture of eating lobster. It's been a couple years and several books ago, but the biggest takeaway I had was that we, society, give names to animals we feel are more intelligent, but still eat, such as pork for pig, beef for cattle, etc, and leave "stupid" animals named as they are. For that reason, Americans will never get to know what it's like to have Filet O Fido, or Horse Hamburger, which I find very interesting.

Here's the essay if you'd like to read it:
http://www.columbia.edu/~col8/lobsterarticle.pdf

For the record I don't eat seafood, I find the taste off-putting. If you need to drown something in butter to eat it, you might as well just eat straight butter. I couldn't care less if you throw them in the pot "still alive."

Bestoutwest":z7zrhfrp said:
David Foster Wallace once went to the Maine Lobster Festival and made some interesting observations surrounding the culture of eating lobster. It's been a couple years and several books ago, but the biggest takeaway I had was that we, society, give names to animals we feel are more intelligent, but still eat, such as pork for pig, beef for cattle, etc, and leave "stupid" animals named as they are. For that reason, Americans will never get to know what it's like to have Filet O Fido, or Horse Hamburger, which I find very interesting.

Here's the essay if you'd like to read it:
http://www.columbia.edu/~col8/lobsterarticle.pdf

For the record I don't eat seafood, I find the taste off-putting. If you need to drown something in butter to eat it, you might as well just eat straight butter. I couldn't care less if you throw them in the pot "still alive."
Sure glad there's no many like you running around. Do you any fish? We eat a lot of poached fish cooked in water only, and grilled trout - salmon over the coals of a campfire.

Nesikep":1m7k6ned said:
Meh, I don't have to look farther than this to see what you guys are looking at for laws.. and your morons with "Milk is murder", etc...
http://www.humanesociety.org/about/depa ... google.ca/
I've seen first hand the destruction of wild horses and burros. One area in the Panamint mountains had a viable (unhunted) desert big horn sheep population. When the horse shooting stopped the sheep vanished. Wild horses and burros will protect/guard a water supply from other animals. In the 60s they were just shot and left to rot in most cases, not a pretty sight but it did manage the population. Then this "wild horse annie" crap got started. Big horn sheep populations, desert mule deer populations all started declining. It wasn;t fee/browse, it was the unavailability of water.

Latest posts